Who's With Me???

Decorating By mrsscholler Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 5:15pm by sweettoothmom

Jenni2383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenni2383 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:16pm
post #31 of 66

I love getting feed back on the cakes I post, it feels great! I have also decided to pm anyone who comments to thank them for their comments, and let them know how much I appreciate them.

shellzey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellzey Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:20pm
post #32 of 66

i want comments, but i don't want them to be said just because i don't have any comments. i really do appreciate input. that's why i'm here...i want to learn how to do cakes better.

it is hard though when you think you've done a great job and no one comments. so i too will commit to comment regularly on the photos i open =)

tamrick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamrick Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:23pm
post #33 of 66

[quote="calynmom"]I totally agree. I did a mouse/cheese cake that I entered in the local fair and didn't receive one comment on it.
Now I know that it's been done before but I was really proud of it. And it did win first place.
So I make every effort to comment on cakes. I welcome critique on my cakes. Isn't that what were here for.????[/quote

You can't leave a comment under your pics. I believe you have to allow this option to get comments. Hth

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:26pm
post #34 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocmom

I try to find something positive to say about every photo that I open. I'm just bumming that no one has commented on my first sugar beer bottle cake that I posted yesterday. It's okay . . . I don't mind . . . no . . . really . . . I'm fine. icon_cry.gif

lol

sorry i did missyour beer bottle i'll go look now *smiles*

however whenever i can make it on i always go to the last uploads first and go back as far as i left off and comment on as many as i can. when i'm at home however i have trouble getting pages to load so my comments aren't as many as i can when i look during free time at work.

its my own personal rule that if i click on a pick i should leave a pleasent comment about that cake.

even if i can view pics at work; it is At work and even then i miss some.

i've ranged from as few as a dozen comments to a hundred or more (slow day at work lol) not bragging just saying i'ma working hard to support you folks! its you who have my back when i need it most!

so never fear if i miss your cake! i s hall find it sooner or later! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

valerie01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valerie01 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:32pm
post #35 of 66

Can someone explain what the critique subgroup is?

I was browsing thru the templates gallery the other day and saw sketches posted by critique subgroup members (CSMs). The comments on those photos were all constructive and helpful.

Below is a link to one such picture:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1251363

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:37pm
post #36 of 66

Once I discovered the "latest uploads" on the gallery page, I see a lot of cakes that I never saw before because they got lost and never made it to the front page. That is the first place I go to look for photos now.

But I'm not sure everyone can ever be happy regarding comments on cakes. Some people only want good comments, some people want constructive criticism, some people want specific comments not just a "nice" comment, and some people would rather no comments than a nice one. Any ideas on how we can make most people happy because we are definitely not ever going to make everyone happy?

I leave comments on most cakes I view unless there are already a ton of comments and I have nothing new to add.

GenGen Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:43pm
post #37 of 66

i admit i do the same here tracy icon_smile.gif

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:47pm
post #38 of 66

I know the home page has All-Time Popular Cake Photos and I know they have Popular Cake Photos - Added Today and the Newest Cake Decorating Photos category and I know we have our Gallery Supporters (Iâm one) but I think it would be a really good idea if their was a way their could be a area of Pictures that have Not been Commented on Itâs nice the see the All-Time Popular Cake Photos but they have been commented on quite a bit and saved to many Favorites. At least everyone would be given a chance to see these cakes again. Some of these cakes go by so fast some of us donât get to see them if they are not part of the Gallery Support Team. Iâm not able to be on this sight all day and Iâm sure there are many in the same boat, so maybe everyone could have a chance to see something that was missed earlier in the day. Just an Idea

Molly

GenGen Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 6:01pm
post #39 of 66

good idea Molly, i agree.

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 6:24pm
post #40 of 66

I think the only reason I check my e-mail is to see if someone has added comments to my cake pics. Love those comments.

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 6:31pm
post #41 of 66

I love to leave comments on cakes that is why I became a gallery support member. icon_biggrin.gif Everyone on this site is so talented. I enjoy seeing all the talent on CC. I also love to get comments! thumbs_up.gif It does make my day to see that I got a comment on one of my cakes. For all you newbies out there I would encourage you to become a gallery support member. All you need is at least 100 post to request to become a member. There are so many cakes out there that don't get a comment, and thats what we get to do is leave the first comment. It's alot of fun.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 6:41pm
post #42 of 66

The absolute best thing (for me) about the comment section on a picture besides seeing the incredible finished product, is reading the decorator's answers to questions that people have asked? I can't tell you the amount I have learned this way.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 7:03pm
post #43 of 66

I have to admit that I don't always leave a comment on every picture I look at, but if I save it as a favorite I always comment. It really frustrates me when the pic has a bunch of favorites and only a few comments. If you like the cake enough to make it a favorite, for pete's sake take the time to tell them why. just my 2 cents.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 7:12pm
post #44 of 66

I agree with almost all of you, when I first joined I must have checked the e-mail 5-6 times a day. I was so excited to get comments on my cake. At that time my cakes were on the front page for several hours, I thought that was normal, now I know it must have been a slow day. the last two pictures I posted, were not on the page over 5-8 minutes, I times them. I haven't uploaded anymore, it took longer to upload than it appeared. I still look for comments, however not many have made comments, that is discourging expecially to new members. I will make an effort to leave more comments and I like the idea of having a place for undernoticed cakes.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 7:16pm
post #45 of 66

I agree with almost all of you, when I first joined I must have checked the e-mail 5-6 times a day. I was so excited to get comments on my cake. At that time my cakes were on the front page for several hours, I thought that was normal, now I know it must have been a slow day. the last two pictures I posted, were not on the page over 5-8 minutes, I times them. I haven't uploaded anymore, it took longer to upload than it appeared. I still look for comments, however not many have made comments, that is discourging expecially to new members. I will make an effort to leave more comments and I like the idea of having a place for undernoticed cakes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:12pm
post #46 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

Once I discovered the "latest uploads" on the gallery page, I see a lot of cakes that I never saw before because they got lost and never made it to the front page. That is the first place I go to look for photos now.

Me too. I don't even look at the home page anymore ... I go straight to "Latest uploads" so I am sure of seeing all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

Any ideas on how we can make most people happy because we are definitely not ever going to make everyone happy?

You're so right there...... we aren't. So I only leave super honest sincere comments. If I say I like a cake, I try to point out specifically what it is about the cake that caught my eye. I never leave what can be construed as "patronizing" comments.

I just want the cake creator to know that I really, really think it's a great cake, so I don't "water down" my comments.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:23pm
post #47 of 66

Some people (me included) just aren't articulate to say anything more than "That's a beautiful cake!" If you choose to take it as patronizing, instead of accepting it for the praise it was intended, that's your issue not mine.

Some cakes are just spectacular and there isn't just "one thing" that I could point out when I want to say the whole cake was friggin awesome.

indydebi Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:36pm
post #48 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMakar

Some people (me included) just aren't articulate to say anything more than "That's a beautiful cake!" If you choose to take it as patronizing, instead of accepting it for the praise it was intended, that's your issue not mine.

It's not an issue .... really. I just learned a long time ago that my staff and my team(s) learned better with specific feedback on what they are doing right. I always gave them better than "nice job". I tried to give them "Nice job on how you handled that irate customer and overnighted his order to keep him happy. Good way to take the initiative." It helped them know what they did right .... and I wanted them to know what they did right so they'd keep doing it. It was also a good tool to let them know that I *did* notice what they did daily. My staff never had to wonder if I knew what the heck they did all day.... they knew that I noticed their good work. It was just good management.

No offense was intended .... seriously.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:09am
post #49 of 66

I didn't mean it to sound like I was offended. I was just giving my view on the matter.

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:12am
post #50 of 66

FlourPots made a great point, I love it when the person who posted the pic takes the time to answer questions or acknowledge compliments. It's like a great "conversation" and after all learning is why we're all here.

conversely it is amazing to me to see others get lots and lots of compliments and never acknowledge them...
icon_confused.gif

tamrick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamrick Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:29am
post #51 of 66

I must say, I learned something from this thread...I never knew you could go to gallery and look at the last uploads, or most viewed. This is good to know!

lisad1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisad1 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:30am
post #52 of 66

I have definitely seen a decline in comments and views lately, and I've only been with cake central this past year. Funny, because I should be getting better with each cake, but apparently my pics must not be as interesting... icon_rolleyes.gif Must be all the fights in the forum, I think everyone is there! (kidding!!)

I am with the OP, I am going to definitely try and update several every time I come on.

mrsscholler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsscholler Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:55am
post #53 of 66

I must also say that I learned something new I also didnt know there was a section for just uploaded cakes. I also appriciate everyones responses to this thread I think it is a great think to bring awarenes to the need for more commenting Its nice to learn new things to make your cakes better or just hear praise for pournig your hear and soul into something.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:02am
post #54 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisad1

I have definitely seen a decline in comments and views lately, and I've only been with cake central this past year. Funny, because I should be getting better with each cake, but apparently my pics must not be as interesting... icon_rolleyes.gif Must be all the fights in the forum, I think everyone is there! (kidding!!)

I am with the OP, I am going to definitely try and update several every time I come on.

There are also times that the thumbnail photo of the cake just doesn't do the cake justice. I've seen some that just look like plain white cakes - only to open them and find it's just a corner of the cake that's plain - the full picture of the cake is beautiful. And there are those that are still posting multiple photos of the same cake. I don't leave comments for each photo of the same cake.

I try to open a couple photos every time I sign on to the site - and I leave comments for every photo that I view.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:52am
post #55 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannie

FlourPots made a great point, I love it when the person who posted the pic takes the time to answer questions or acknowledge compliments. It's like a great "conversation" and after all learning is why we're all here.

conversely it is amazing to me to see others get lots and lots of compliments and never acknowledge them...
icon_confused.gif

Sometimes I will PM a person with a response to a question when it's asked under the comments, only because I don't know if that person will check back later. Too bad we don't have a feature that would allow us to get a response when one is posted under the comments like in the forums (assuming I'm not missing something!) I will try to do better about answering questions in the comments, too.

indydebi Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:56am
post #56 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

Sometimes I will PM a person with a response to a question when it's asked under the comments, only because I don't know if that person will check back later.

Me, too. I respond in the photo's comments (in case someone else wants to know, plus it doesn't look like I ignored the question), then I send a PM to the person who asked the question,letting them know I responded. I also include a link to the photo so they can easily flip back and see the response. If their memory is like mine, they've looked at a number of pics and I dont' want to assume they can remember which cake photo they asked their question under.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:01pm
post #57 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I also include a link to the photo so they can easily flip back and see the response. If their memory is like mine, they've looked at a number of pics and I dont' want to assume they can remember which cake photo they asked their question under.

Dare I admit I haven't a clue how to include a link? I'm an architectural drsaftsman, I sit at a computer all day, and haven't the faintest idea how to do most things that many of you can do in your sleep!

amazinggracecakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amazinggracecakedesigns Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:50pm
post #58 of 66

I agree. It is always nice to get comments on your hard work. I think even if the cake is not something that you would do, it took someone else alot of hard work & time to make their creation. I always like to look at the comments on my cakes, so, I will make sure to comment more on other people's work. It is always nice to help make someone else have a nice day!! thumbs_up.gif

shellzey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellzey Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:42pm
post #59 of 66

i must admit that at times i second guess myself because i'll have 50 to 75 views of one of my cakes and one comment. makes you wonder if your cake is any good at all. i realize there are tons of cakes and people can't comment on everything but i'm probably as much to blame. i will try to comment more often as well.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:58pm
post #60 of 66

speaking of comments, my email doesnt always work right from here and I sometimes don't get notification thats someone has commented on my photos. That is fine, but a lot of people ask me a question in the comment field! I love the comments (although I am one of those people who love to hear the bad as well as the good..I post to see if I can improve. "Pretty cake" is a nice comment, but doesn't help me much) Anyway, May I suggest that if you have a how to question on a cake you see that you PM the person? Or post it in the forem?
Too bad there isn't a "post question about this cake in the forem" option! hahaha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%