How Much Icing For Cake??

Decorating By crafty_mom Updated 16 Aug 2008 , 5:10am by crafty_mom

crafty_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crafty_mom Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 9

Hi guys! I am totally addicted to this site! Your cakes are amazing. I am am a newbie to all this. I've only made 3 cakes for family members. My question is, what is the general rule of thumb for how much icing to make for a particular size cake?? I am about to try a birthday cake for 2 family members. I wanted to try my hand at a small 2 tiered cake. I don't know how much icing to make, and can't really find any info to go by. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!! TIA

Keep the beautiful work coming....
Jen thumbs_up.gif

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 9

I don't really measure icing, but I can say that when I make a wedding cake, I use 7 cake mixes and between 3-4 two-pound bags of p.sugar's worth of icing. If I need more, I make another batch .... any leftover icing sits on my counter until the next cake.

thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 9

I find this a good basic table to go by: http://www.baking911.com/cakes/data.htm

crafty_mom Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 9

cakebox, the link didn't post icon_cry.gif

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 9

I think the link "cakebox" mentioned was not able to post because of a "technical" error. I believe I found the link "cakebox" was referring to and tried to post it here also, but could not. According to another post, sometimes certain URL links are not able to post and therefore are not shown.

Here is that thread: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-587652.html

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 9

As a general rule of thumb one batch of icing using 2# of powdered sugar should cover & decorate any cake size that uses one cake mix.
So for a 10x2" round; most Wilton shaped pan; &/or a few others you need only one recipe of icing that used 2# of sugar)

thecakebox Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 9

pm me your email and i will send it that way if you want it icon_smile.gif

thecakebox Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:49pm
post #8 of 9

oops..double post

crafty_mom Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:10am
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the help!