Cake Without Filling?

Decorating By cakesonoccasion Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 2:03pm by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:58pm
post #1 of 21

I have a bride requesting a 3 tiered cake without filling. I guess I'm just stumped...how do I make a 4 inch tall tier without any filling? I get that I'll stack the cakes like normal- but won't it fall apart when it gets cut without anything to stick it together between layers? Suggestions? Thanks!!

20 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 21

She might mean a fruit or cream filling.I use standand buttercream in between all my layers but I don't consider it a filling.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 21

Bake in a taller pan. Use 3" tall pans and add a collar with parchment paper to add to the height. Then trim the cake to be 4". Good luck

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 21

I would make sure that you two are communicating correctly. Most of my brides visit my website before they come in for an appointment. I have a page called "the language of cake" that helps them understand cake language.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:24pm
post #5 of 21

Just tell her there needs to be something between the two layers of cakes, even if it is just a thin layer of buttercream. You are the one that knows and understands how the construction works. Not her.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:29pm
post #6 of 21

I worked at a bakery that didn't offer fillings. It was one, tall, 4" layer. They used 4" pans but collaring works just as well.

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:59am
post #7 of 21

This would in my opinion be a much sturdier cake to construct as it's composed of more solid pieces than layers so I would not worry about that aspect of it.

Less time consuming, less ingredients pity more people don't order this type of cake!

banba Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:03am
post #8 of 21

You would not layer a cake if there was no filling. You layer a cake in order to fill it so no filling would mean no layering.

Your post only mentioned filling right, not frosting?

YAYI95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YAYI95 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:09am
post #9 of 21

i agree with kiddiekakes, filling to her may mean fruit fillings etc, she may not think of the buttercream as a filling...just explain it to her....

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:12am
post #10 of 21

This is one of those times I would contact the bride and make sure of just exactly what she means. She might be thinking filling=fruit. She might not understand that you can put the same icing between the layers that you do on the outside of the cake.
Even if she wants nothing between I would bake the layers just like always and stack, sometimes the filling/icing makes them slip a little and this might be more stable.
For your own peace of mind contact her and let us know what happens!

Jibbies

turnerdmann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turnerdmann Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:16am
post #11 of 21

I agree on talking to the bride to clarify. When I talk with brides and they say "no filling" usually after asking more questions they want icing, just no special filling.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:45am
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerdmann

I agree on talking to the bride to clarify. When I talk with brides and they say "no filling" usually after asking more questions they want icing, just no special filling.

Exactly what I was going to say. When I have brides say "no filling", I tell them, "The filling is the glue that holds the two cakes together .... we need something in there ...." and then I continue with some questions and it usually turns out that they dont want raspberry or creamy monkey ear wax or anything ... they want just the white BC icing filling.

Visit leahs website ... she explains it really well on there.

banba Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:04am
post #13 of 21

Cakes don't need filling "glue" if they are not layered so it is not necessary to have filling in a cake, desirable to most yes but necessary no!

Some people just like cake and frosting maybe she means exactly what she said - no filling!

Agree with the rest, clarify with the bride and find out what she wants and if you want to do it or you could just go straight ahead and attempt to change her mind to make it fit your idea of cake!

IMHO a cake that does not need to be torted or layer and filled is a dream cake just a bit of frosting on the outside and bob's your uncle! Less stacking issues, less work, faster, all makes good sense to me this should be encouraged I would run with it big time if that is what she wants!

Easier life, faster turnover!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:57am
post #14 of 21
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:43pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by banba

Cakes don't need filling "glue" if they are not layered so it is not necessary to have filling in a cake, desirable to most yes but necessary no!

Some people just like cake and frosting maybe she means exactly what she said - no filling!

But since I dont' make 2" tall wedding cakes and they are all layered, then it becomes an issue.

If they think "filling" is a fruity thing and they just want the "icing" as the filling, then they are getting cake and frosting when the "frosting" is the filling.

That's why we have to talk with them, find out what they mean, and educate them ....... again, see leahs website .... it's a great education tool.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:58pm
post #16 of 21

There are bakers around here who just bake 3" tall cakes and don't split them, so there's just a 3" tall cake with nothing inside.

I use the 2" pans also, and I have to explain to some brides who request no filling that I have to put something in between, but I find that they usually are thinking of the sleeved fruit glop when they're talking about "filling." (Can you tell I don't like that stuff?) So it's probably just a matter of finding out what she means and explaining how you do it.

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:10pm
post #17 of 21

I was just wondering if IndyDebi can share that Creamy Monkey Earwax Filling Recipeicon_smile.gif!!!!!!!

fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:32pm
post #18 of 21

I was at a wedding just a couple of weeks ago. I was SO surprised when we got the cake there wasn't any filling. It was 2 layer white cake but in between the 2 layers there wasn't 1/4 of a tsp of filling/icing barely enough to hold a piece of fondant on.
That was the first wedding cake I've ate that was like that. To me that is the best part of the "wedding" cakes is to have the 2 layers with icing in the middle.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:39pm
post #19 of 21

The oldest bakery in this town uses one 4" layer of cake...for wedding cakes and bd/celebration cakes. Their dessert cakes(ger choc, coconut, lemon...)are made of a different batter and have multiple layers.

They cut beautifully...like Grandma's pound cake but without the center hole.

indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:54pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

The oldest bakery in this town uses one 4" layer of cake

wow, that would be interesting to see!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:03pm
post #21 of 21

Where I live, you can't find a wedding cake with filling. Actually even birthday cakes don't have fillings. They're usually 4" tall. Now if you want the really high end cakes, you know, ridiculously overpriced, then you get two layers with like 1/8" filling which is actually same as the frosting. it's sad but true.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%