Mmf Consistency Changed After Color Was Added

Decorating By gourmetcakes Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 7:12pm by gourmetcakes

gourmetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetcakes Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 3

Using Wilton icing colors, I successfully colored a medium shade of purple and also a medium shade of blue MMF, but when I tried to make a dark fuchsia color using the Wilton Rose and Burgandy icing colors, the MMF consistency totally changed. It was no longer elastic and didn't pull like taffy. Tore very easily. I tried coloring it by kneeding it in and then also by adding color while the marshmallows were in the soupy stage.....still had the same problems.

What do you do when you have to add a lot of color to achieve a dark or rich color? Do you, or have you, had this problem? It is very frustrating because I finally have the consistency of MMF down, but continue to have this problem when trying to achieve a dark color.

Any advice, tips or help you can give me would be most appreciated.

Thanks, in advance, for your help!!!

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 3

If you can add the color as part of the liquid in the beginning, you will have better result.

You can make smaller batches of dark colors this way.

gourmetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetcakes Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnB

If you can add the color as part of the liquid in the beginning, you will have better result.

You can make smaller batches of dark colors this way.

Do you mean adding the color after the marshmallows have been melted (which I have already tried that) or use some of the color in place of the water. If so, I add my water before I melt the marshmallows.....would I do it then?!?!?!?!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%