Emergency Mmf Help!!!

Decorating By Atomikjen Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 1:33am by maimai16

Atomikjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atomikjen Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 1:12am
post #1 of 9

Hi ladies (and gents)

I've read and re read posts about ripping fondant and I've tried everything. My MMF keeps ripping. I roll it thick thick thick and do what has been suggested to add crisco/ps but nothing... I attempt to put it on the cake and the whole thing rips right off the rolling pin. (I roll it around the pin then roll it off onto the cake)

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it!

thank you all so much!!!

Jen

8 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:26am
post #2 of 9

If you have a flexible mat or plastic sheet, try rolling it on the mat, the using the mat to flip the fondant over the cake.

Without being able to touch your fondant, it is difficult to really diagnose the problem.

Atomikjen Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:04am
post #3 of 9

I think it's a combination of the heat/humidity right now. It's killing my fondant.

So far I've taken buttercream and smoothed it to be like "glass" and I think I'm going to move forward with that and leave my fondant to fight another day.

I did try the mat trick too... I feel like I've tried every solution LOL

Also, I think I need to get some sleep, the fondant wins today, but tomorrow it won't be so lucky icon_wink.gif

thank you for your response!!! =D

cakebaby59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby59 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 5:55am
post #4 of 9

In my experience ripping fondant means it's just too dry...adding more crisco has always solved the problem for me...are you giving it a really good kneading before you use it?

Atomikjen Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:16pm
post #5 of 9

I've kneeded it, crisco-d it, cooled it, rested it... etc... I think the heat is killing it... once i get it to a decent thickness (not too thin) it get's VERY soft.

the buttercream worked out great though! it's very smooth!!! WOOHOO!

cakebaby59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby59 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 7:40pm
post #6 of 9

Humm...well...shoot, I don't know what to tell you my dear...sometime's that stuff just won't behave I guess. Sure glad you got your buttercream to work for you though!!! Sorry I can't help with the MMF. Linda

Atomikjen Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaby59

Humm...well...shoot, I don't know what to tell you my dear...sometime's that stuff just won't behave I guess. Sure glad you got your buttercream to work for you though!!! Sorry I can't help with the MMF. Linda

thanks for your response =) sometimes things run smoothly and sometimes they don't icon_wink.gif

and the buttercream worked better than I ever could have hoped to. I have a pic of the cake in my photos. It's a little out of the ordinary but they loved it! =D

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 8:04pm
post #8 of 9

If you're pretty sure that heat is the problem, could you do something to cool your work area? A window AC unit, turn up the air in the whole house, etc? Maybe even a bag full of ice, wrapped in paper towels to keep it dry, and run it across the fondant when it's rolled out?

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:33am
post #9 of 9

my first try with mmf, this happened to me. with our climate, i live in the philippines, i tried to use the mmf right after kneading. i did not rest it over night and it works for me. pliable fondant that i can roll as thin as a paper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%