Fondant Cake In Fridge?!?!?!?!

Decorating By mandygirlxoxo Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 3:57am by jibbies

mandygirlxoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandygirlxoxo Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 7

how long do fondant cakes last if they are refridgerate?

6 replies
deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:50am
post #2 of 7

you absolutely cannot refigerate fondant covered cakes before cutting as it sweats and then the icing 'melts' from the moisture. once cut i still would not recomend refrigeration as cold traps the flavours of your cake and must be left to come to room temp before eating or it i sjust not the same. if you mean freezing then that is different, it depends on the cake and how it has been frozen, if it is done properly in a tight thick layer of cling wrap and a good layer of aluminium foil and stored at the very back of the freezer or better yet deep frozen an only deforsted on one time you can keep thick mud for up to 18 months (12 months is probably better) and fruit cake that has been seasened with strong alcohol can last 3 yrs. if not done properly mud cake 12 weeks and fruit cake 1 yr.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:55am
post #3 of 7

You absolutely can fridge fondant cakes, I do it every day. Depending on the weather, it may sweat a bit as its coming to room temp, but don't touch it and it will dry right up.

deliciously_decadent Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:07am
post #4 of 7

i live in QLD AUSTRALIA which is probably a bit like Florida for you guys, always warm and a higher humidity level so its a disaster if someone puts a fondant cake in the fridge here, or anywhere in aus for that matter. must have something to do with out weather

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:40am
post #5 of 7

This constantly confuses me on CC. I live in Ireland which means crap weather and our counters work as good as our fridges so I am not totally obsessed with putting things in the fridge to keep them fresh, I don't have to be.

Having said that if I lived in a hot country I would be obsessed with putting things in the fridge probably including me self as I wouldn't be able to cope with the heat!

I do however on occasion put my fondant covered cakes in the fridge and have never had any of the litany of problems that you get listed here on the forums happen to my cakes. I personally think it improves the texture of the fondant!

So because my climate is not hot there is no huge temperature difference in taking my fondant covered cake from my fridge to the counter and so not much condensation issues, basically my cake won't start melting the minute it comes out of the fridge because of the much cooler climate.

So what I want to know is how come people in much warmer countries are so divided on this? How come it works for some of you and not for others?

I imagine the people it works for make sure they have plenty of time for their cakes to come to room temperature and don't do silly things like dump it up on the counter in front of a window or something?

Somebody should do a little study on this or two people do the exact same thing with their cakes and see do they get the same results and then maybe we could get a definitive answer on this and achieve a little bit of the cake science magic as well as the decorating magic!

This intrigues me!

deliciously_decadent Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:50am
post #6 of 7

could also have somthing to do with the different typed of fondant? like we do not have MMf here in aus. only traditional supgar paste fodant made from glucose glycerine and gelatine and its enemy is water (thats were you get the problem whe it sweats as it breaks down the fondant to runny icing and causes your decorations to melt

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:57am
post #7 of 7

Why do you want to put your cake in the fridge?

Jibbies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%