Americolor Vs Wilton's Colring

Decorating By ckirkland Updated 11 May 2006 , 11:33pm by o0lilnikki0o

ckirkland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckirkland Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 25

Which type of coloring do you use? I was just wondering what the best one is.
Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

24 replies
Fishercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fishercakes Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 25

I only have used Wilton, but there is not much to choose from in a small town. I have heard wonderful reviews about Americolor, especially the red! Cannot wait to actually try it though.

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 25

americolor by far is better than wilton. thats my opinion at least.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 25

americolor is very good. I also like the crystal colors (these are a powder)

Peachez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachez Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 25

I've always used the Wilton coloring until while placing an order a few months ago I decided to try the Americolor. Holy Cow! icon_eek.gif What a difference! It only took a few drops to make the icing red where the last time I used Wilton red it took almost the whole container. The cost is about the same. I get mine online since there isn't anything other than a JoAnn's or Michael's around here. I know there are a few places you can get the Americolors but the site I use is www.cakesbysam.com. They have so much cool stuff & are super-fast shippers...which is always a bonus in my book. I hate to wait forever for new goodies icon_biggrin.gif

ckirkland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckirkland Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 25

I had heard the same things. They don't sell Americolor around here anywhere, but I can look on the internet for it.
Thanks everyone.

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 8:21pm
post #7 of 25

check your local cake shops. I have to drive almost 2 hours but it is sooo worth it to me. If you live near a big city you might be surprised to find it.

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 25

I had used wilton for years and years, but I was not happy that I had to use so much to get the bright vibrant colors I wanted. I was in a Bake supply shop about a year ago and was talking the the chef that owns it. He suggested Americolor..... and the rest is history.... I will use nothing else now....

jekizer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jekizer Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 8:40pm
post #9 of 25

Ateco has wonderful colors. They are a lot cheaper... I paid $7.00 for 12 colors. They come in 1 oz jars and it only takes one or two drops. There colors are very vibrant, so if you are used to using wilton colors, make sure you don't over do it.

Hope this helps!!

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 8:44pm
post #10 of 25

I have lots of Ateco too....but I find that it still takes about 3/4 of the container to get a true, not too deep though, red. I'm going to buy about 4 bottles of the Americolor red because everyone here says it only takes a little bit...even with the red. But I've been pleased with how much it takes of all of the other Ateco colors.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 8:48pm
post #11 of 25

I have GOT to get me some of this!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 8:54pm
post #12 of 25

Americolor is soooooo much better then wilton - I have not had any bleeding problem when using them. Takes just a drop or two of color depending on what you need.

country kitchen sells set of the colors for $14.20 and so does sugarcraft.com sells the set for $13 they just reduce their price. So if need other things then you can add some color in. If you want to try pastry filling go to country kitchen they still have the best price.

http://sugarcraft.com/catalog/coloring/coloring.htm#americolor

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/minicake.aspx?T=1&SubCatId=1053

filling infor.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/minicake.aspx?T=1&SubCatId=798

dulce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulce Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 9:28pm
post #13 of 25

I loved Americolor! Is much better then wilton colors.

tcrema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcrema Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 9:35pm
post #14 of 25

Ok I LOVE the americolor Red and Black...Have never achieved the brightness of the colors of those two with out using almost 2 containers of wiltons...BUT here is a big BUT!!!! If you are a messy decorator like myself and you are putting it in your decorating bags and blop there goes some on the carpet...To BAD! (I live in Base Housing and there is carpet EVERYWHERE but the kitchen and toilet. I decorate for the most part in the dining room. I just paid to have my carpets professionally cleaned...3 stains wouldn't come up. the guy was so irritated by them not comming up and couldn't figure it out. He asked what it was so I looked at the location and the color...Green right where table sits, red a few inches away...and black right before you walk into the kitchen...They are STAINED GOOD. And it's not Like I didn't try to get them up...believe me I worked on them for about an hour trying to get them up. They just stain BAD...But they look GReat on a Cake!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 9:45pm
post #15 of 25

I too love Americolor..they are much more instense!! ..and, not to mention the added bonus of not having to mess around with a toothpick, because they come in squeeze bottles!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 13 Aug 2005 , 12:01am
post #16 of 25

I cannot get Americolors locally, but my understanding is that they are liquid gel colours right? If that is so, can anyone that has used the Chefmaster Liqua Gel colours comment on how they compare to these? I find you use a lot less with the Chefmaster than the Wilton, but I suspect that is because they are a lot more liquid that the Wilton paste colours. Just curious if that is what makes the difference.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 13 Aug 2005 , 10:08pm
post #17 of 25

I ordered a few Americolors online and tried making black (with white frosting). It started becoming quite bitter. Has anyone else noticed that? While on the subject of black, does everyone start with chocolate frosting to make black?

Meeka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meeka Posted 13 Aug 2005 , 11:49pm
post #18 of 25

I love the Americolors, I have the black but haven't used it yet. I buy it premixed by Dawn Select Master Blend But-R-Creme no after taste.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 14 Aug 2005 , 12:04am
post #19 of 25

They work great SquirrellyCakes... I have Wilton, Chefmaster and Americolor .. Americolor is the best with Chefmaster running a very close second .. Wilton would be my last choice lol .. I just hate their bottles/jars .. they really need to change that set up icon_smile.gif

tinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinascakes Posted 14 Aug 2005 , 12:24am
post #20 of 25

Kos, I was told to make black without using chocolate icing, you can make brown first then add the black.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 14 Aug 2005 , 1:46am
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntertayneme

They work great SquirrellyCakes... I have Wilton, Chefmaster and Americolor .. Americolor is the best with Chefmaster running a very close second .. Wilton would be my last choice lol .. I just hate their bottles/jars .. they really need to change that set up icon_smile.gif

Thank for clarifying, I guess until I can get the Americolors locally, I will stick with the Chefmaster, haha.
Haha what is wrong with the Wilton jars? Which part don't you like, the seal or the fact that even when re-sealed if they tip over, they leak? I rather enjoy getting my fingers and containers about 10 different colours everytime one leaks, haha! You are quite right, they really need to re-design these bottles!
Seriously though, I still prefer the Wilton colours when I am colouring gumpaste or rolled fondant, mainly because there is less liquid and I don't find I get quite the mess on my hands. They are fine for pastels too and about the only issues I have are with the red. We can get a lot more varieties of colours in the Wiltons here, very limited in Chefmaster and Cake Craft.
Thanks for the comparison!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

kalikw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalikw Posted 14 Aug 2005 , 1:47am
post #22 of 25

I prefer the Americolor to the Wilton. You get more "truer" color with Americolor.

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 14 Aug 2005 , 2:20am
post #23 of 25

tinascakes,
Thanks for the tip about making brown first. I will try that. I learn so much from you guys!

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 14 Aug 2005 , 2:22am
post #24 of 25

Americolor is awesome however I have just picked up 13.5 oz bottles of Bakers Preferred by Bakery Crafts. It rocks! These are the same colourings used by Sobeys and such. I bought Super Red, Lemon Yellow and Blue, just the basics to get a rainbow of colours.

o0lilnikki0o Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
o0lilnikki0o Posted 11 May 2006 , 11:33pm
post #25 of 25

can u get americolor in canada?? im very nervous about buying off of the internet, specaillly cuz i dont want to pay shipping charges, i cant imagine how much that would come to!

so if anyone could help, thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%