Disaster Barely Avoided

Decorating By JoAnnB Updated 4 Aug 2008 , 7:23pm by Lesia

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 6:12am
post #1 of 20

While delivering the wedding cake, I fell....big time. face first into the bark dust. Thank goodness I was going back for my camera, and the cake was already in place.

I turned over to find most of the tuxedo-clad groomsmen standing over me saying are you alright? mortifed, and bruised, but nothing too serious. However, I am not a small person, and it was embarassing to have them have to help me to stand.

I think my ribs took the worst of the fall. I am still picking the miniscule splinters out of all parts of my body. ouch ouch ouch.

I need more aspirin. icon_redface.gif

19 replies
amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 6:33am
post #2 of 20

Ouch! But thank goodness you didn't end up with a face full of buttercream and a very sad bride!! I hope that asprin does the trick!

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 6:35am
post #3 of 20

. . . oh dear, are you okay . . . (thank heaven the cake wasn't involved . . . but are YOU okay) . . .

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 6:43am
post #4 of 20

Wow... that can throw you for a loop. Glad you are ok.. take it easy...Ouch those littler slivers can be painful..

JoAnnB Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 7:42am
post #5 of 20

Thanks. I think I am OK. I'll be watching out for my ribs for a while.

and yes, I am so grateful the cake wasn't involved. That would have been worse. I would have been hysterically crying, I'm sure.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 9:10am
post #6 of 20

Oh no, JoAnn!!!

Hope you aren't horribly bruised and sore. And the splinters......

Sending you hugs and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 10:01am
post #7 of 20

Oh poor you.......be sure and take things easy for the next few days. You know what it's like, you fall and are so mortally embarassed that you jump straight up claiming to be ok, 'show over, i'm fine' kinda thing then later you realise that your hip is where your ear used to be and your head now functions like that of an owl. I'm not trying to be funny or smart here just want you to look after yourself - maybe you should go and get checked out just in case.

Great big (((((((((((((Scottish Hugs))))))))))))) coming your way.

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 10:51am
post #8 of 20

So sorry to hear abour your fall and I wish you a speedy recovery. On a serious note though if the pain doesn't get any better please go to the emergency room.

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 12:26pm
post #9 of 20

Oh my JoAnn! You poor thing! So sorry to hear about your fall! PLEASE do take the very wise advice of our CC Friends/Family, and get checked.

Until now, there were only a couple of people on here that knew about this, but I think this is the appropriate time to let you all know.

Long story, short... Because of a fall, and my icon_redface.gificon_rolleyes.gif stubbornness/embarassment, I am in a wheelchair/powerchair most of the time now. I, too, thought the pain would go away, but now (they tell me icon_razz.gifthumbsdown.gif ) it never will.

So, PLEASE, at least go to the doctor and let him/her tell you that you are alright! You very well could have broken ribs which could puncture a lung, or even a back injury. I can't stress this enough.

No hugs (I guess "cyber" hugs are OK icon_wink.gif ) from me until the doctor says you're OK, but I'm sending all kinds of good wishes and prayers your way! thumbs_up.gif Please let us know how you are doing.

LadyMike icon_smile.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 2:00pm
post #10 of 20

Hi JoAnnB, I'm so sorry to hear that you fell and hurt yourself, but good news that the cake was safe!

I took a tumble sort of like that back in February, but I was lucky enough to fall sideways into the grass, so no splinters, etc. Having to have help getting up definitely was embarassing! Unfortunately I was carrying a 3-D Godzilla cake for my DS birthday, and it was totaled. Luckily I'd also made a Godzilla EI sheet cake, so we had cake for the party.

I have to warn you, I felt worse the second day, so try to relax and take it easy and if you have any problems at all go get checked out right away.

Janice

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 2:03pm
post #11 of 20

Oh gosh - I'm so sorry to hear about your fall and I know that had to hurt (physically and your pride)!

The only thing that could have made it worse is if you had been holding the cake - thank goodness for small favors.

Hope you feel better soon.

JoAnnB Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 10:14pm
post #12 of 20

thank you all for your good wishes. I do have spots that are more sore today, but my ribs are actually better. My left knee is about 9 shades of blue and purple.

LadyMike, I am so sorry about your accident. Sending my best wishes.

Good excuse to sit around and read a book. I am so glad I cleaned up my garage kitchen when I was done yesterday. I know I couldn't face that mess today.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:50am
post #13 of 20

So sorry about your fall. I just read a tip for getting out splinters -- try using a blackhead strip. I've personally used tape and bandaids on my kids.

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:44am
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretb

So sorry about your fall. I just read a tip for getting out splinters -- try using a blackhead strip. I've personally used tape and bandaids on my kids.

Thank you, margaretb, for the tip! I just told my DH what you said and he's grateful as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnB

LadyMike, I am so sorry about your accident. Sending my best wishes.

Thank you, JoAnnB. But, please, please, please get checked. You just don't know.

JoAnnB Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:52am
post #15 of 20

LadyMike, don't worry, I will.

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:06am
post #16 of 20

Oh, ouch! I'm sending hugs your way, too!

Hearing so many people respond to you about how glad they were that the cake is okay made me laugh about what happened to me a year ago while quilting....

I was in a hurry and not paying attention and the rotary cutter (similar to a pizza cutter) jumped the ruler and went to the bone of my right index finger! After a trip to the E.R. and stitches were in order, my quilting friend asked me, "Is the quilt okay, or is it covered in blood?" She was actually worried about the quilt!!! Of course, she was concerned about me, but only a kindred spirit would ask about the quilt....kind of like people here are glad to hear the cake was delivered successfully before the fall!

((((hugs)))) to you!!

JoAnnB Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:00pm
post #17 of 20

Yes, it is a good thing we all have our priorities straight. icon_lol.gif

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:15pm
post #18 of 20

First: Hope you are feeling better
Second: Were the grooms men cute? At least you can have one happy memory of that moment!

I was once as a farewell party (no alcohol- if you can believe what happened next). We were all sitting on folding chairs on the lawn. I could feel that I was sitting at the top on a small incline. A guy sitting across from me was talling a goofy story and jumped up-- I jerked back and fell backwards onto the grass-- I had hair down to my waist at the time and it all got caught behind the chair. My dress was a light flowy material and it flew over my face!! The girls jumped up and were trying to cover me up and the guys were trying to yank me up-- but i could not move b/c of my hair still behind the chair-- and I was laughing my head off! I finally had to tell the guys to back off and turn the other way while I rolled to the side and just got up very unlady like! I still laugh about it-- what a commotion! My head was sore for a few days!

I really hope you are feeling better!

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:16pm
post #19 of 20

I'm glad you still have your sense of humor JoAnnB!! Those hard tumbles are tough.

I took a tumble back in the early winter, I knew I hit hard (one of those slow motion falls ya know!), but felt okay after a day or 2. Then a couple of months later I started having severe shoulder, neck and back pain. I finally went to the Chiropractor (sp?) and told him what I was feeling and he immediately said "Have you fallen lately?" - it took a minute to remember the fall and when I told him how I hit - he said that is it - you're body is still reacting to it. One adjustment and I was fine.

I know lots of people don't care or trust Chiropractors, I just want you to be aware that you might have problems down the road -- like the PP said -- those pains and problems can come back in many different ways.

Happy healing!!

Suze

Lesia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lesia Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:23pm
post #20 of 20

So sorry to hear about your fall, but glad everything turned out okay. I have to admit, I smiled at the words "bark dust". I'm originally an Oregonian, (born in Salem, matter of fact!), and I've always referred to it as bark dust. But here in Fla, they call it mulch. I once went to a garden store and asked for bark dust and got a dumbfounded look in return. Took me a while to realize that "mulch" was the same thing. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%