Sh*t!! I Left My Eggs Out Overnight, Are They...

Decorating By mom42ws Updated 7 Apr 2017 , 1:54pm by ronboggs10

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 5:20pm
post #31 of 45

Once you take your food safety course, you start seeing the food habits of others in an entirely different light. The instructor would always say "there's book world and the real world and it is up to you to figure out which applies."

My aunt who is a caterer would pitch them. She always assumes the worst and does not want to even take the chance of making people sick. The eggs are fine I'm sure but I probably wouldn't use them either for the IMBC. Use the eggs for yourself and buy some more for the buttercream. That way you aren't wasting the eggs yet you know you are giving your customers/friends the best.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 5:44pm
post #32 of 45

I recall reading that eggs that come to you straight from the chicken don't have to be refrigerated. I suspect that many of you living outside of the U.S. commonly purchase eggs from farmers markets or other fresh food sources, rather than the large commercial supermarkets that are so common here. (I am SO jealous).

But, if you purchase eggs that have been "processed", i.e. washed thoroughly and possibly pasteurized, they must be refrigerated because the protective properties provided by Mother Nature have been stripped away.

I do leave eggs out until they are room temperature for use in baking. I would not use a commercially processed egg that was left out for six hours or more or left in a hot vehicle.

My personal preference.

kalida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalida Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 5:49pm
post #33 of 45

I rearly refrigerate eggs and they do fine. Only if it really really hot in the summertime. Plus have you ever felt a just laid egg? It's warm!! If you still dont trust it... fill a glas with water put the eggs in one by one.....and if it SINKS it's GOOD & if it FLOATS it's BAD!!

GOOD LUCK

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 9:47pm
post #34 of 45

In my food safety class, room temp eggs were a no-no. I specifically asked him (and "him" used to be health dept inspector), "what about recipes that call for room temp eggs?" and he said, "No chef has yet been able to explain to me or show me what a difference it makes ... so dont' have any room temp eggs in your kitchen when I come in there."

Someone raised the question of going back and forth all day to the 'frig. That's part of why the health dept has to ok the floor plan for your comm'l kitchen. It should be set up so that it's not a PITA to get the supplies you need in a convenient manner. If the kitchen workflow is set up so that it's a PITA to get cold stuff from the 'frig on an as-needed basis, then the likelihood of you following the rules is greatly diminished.

For my family ... I'd use them. In my comm'l kitchen ... they'd go in the trash.

paddlegirl14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paddlegirl14 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:02am
post #35 of 45

I say absolutely NOT! I have a a BS in Hospitality, and NO NO NO. My advisor would flip. There are so many things tha I learned in all of the classes I have taken that would turn stomaches, and eggs (and poultry) are not things to fudge on.

Expatmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Expatmum Posted 31 Jan 2017 , 6:09pm
post #36 of 45

To answer the "why are eggs in the USA refrigerated and not elsewhere?"  In a nut shell ( or egg- pardon the pun) - the USA eggs are washed with hot water & soap which makes the shell more permeable, therefor needing refrigeration to keep bacteria out. I keep mine out on the counter overnight ( about 70-72 Fahrenheit) with no problems before baking. http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/09/11/336330502/why-the-u-s-chills-its-eggs-and-most-of-the-world-doesnt

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 1 Feb 2017 , 10:19am
post #37 of 45

I recall my jr high cooking class in which we were instructed eggs can be left out unrefridgerated if the shells are coated, say with vegetable oil. Egg shells are porous and coating the eggs seals the shells from air and anything else that may cause them to be unsafe.

DanaNZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaNZ Posted 3 Feb 2017 , 4:35am
post #38 of 45

I don't know anyone who keeps their eggs in the fridge.  It's a pantry thing here.

Do your supermarkets chill them?  Ours are on the shelf and stay in the pantry for about 2 weeks.  I often get them from a few neighbors coops, and that's fine as long as they don't have roosters as they can be fertilized which isn't pretty...

If they've been there for a while, I just float them in a glass of water.  If it floats, it gets the rouse.

Ummm...I noticed there was a comment above about pasturised eggs.  How on earth does one pasturise and egg!!??

Expatmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Expatmum Posted 3 Feb 2017 , 4:10pm
post #39 of 45

I'm an Aussie living in the US ( and have lived in Sth America, Europe, Africa and Asia ) and the US is the only place that does keep eggs in the fridge DanaNZ. They wash the eggs very well with hot water and soap after collection, so the shell is no longer as tough ( and hygienically sealed) as it should be. I can tell a difference even cracking them.  In US, they often dent and make a lot of hairline cracks. In Oz its much more likely to give 1 big crack and split in 2. ( gross generalization, but you get the gist) 

ConnieCakes14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieCakes14 Posted 4 Feb 2017 , 2:46am
post #40 of 45

I get my eggs from my chickens and store them on the counter in my egg basket for a week or more (They get eaten fast). Still good and fresh as long as there are no visible cracks. Sometimes I'll be gone for a week in the summer and come back with a coop full of eggs and they taste just as fresh. 

6carolcookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
6carolcookie Posted 10 Mar 2017 , 4:22pm
post #41 of 45

Eggs in canada and the us are refrigerated because they have been washed. They usually have a refrigerator life of 4 weeks here. They are not safe to eat if keft out because of the protective coating being removed during the washing. 

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Mar 2017 , 4:32pm
post #42 of 45

Yes to this statement.  I now teach Nutrition and Wellness cooking classes in a high school and I do an egg unit.  The issue is not warm or cold but the protective coating which prevents odors and bacteria (mostly bacteria) from penetrating the porous shell.  Once the egg goes thru commercial processing, that coating is gone and the chance for contamination is greatly enhanced.  This is why eggs should be kept in the egg carton (not put on that egg shelf on your refrigerator door) because the covered carton helps protect the egg.  It is also why eggs should not be kept on the refrigerator door (every time you open the door, the eggs are exposed to warm air which is a no-no).  Countries that do not process and wash their eggs CAN keep their eggs outside of refrigeration.  Once refrigerated ... ALWAYS refrigerated.  (And as some FYI ... my grandmother kept a henhouse and always had baskets of eggs sitting on her basement steps that were always fine to eat .... but they had not been washed or refrigerated.)

Quote by @6carolcookie on 4 minutes ago

Eggs in canada and the us are refrigerated because they have been washed. They usually have a refrigerator life of 4 weeks here. They are not safe to eat if keft out because of the protective coating being removed during the washing. 

Ms.Valley46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ms.Valley46 Posted 3 Apr 2017 , 4:09pm
post #43 of 45

I know this is an old post but, just in case anyone else stumbles across it like I did...  Here is a great article about why eggs are not refrigerated in Europe but they do need to be in the US: 

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/09/11/336330502/why-the-u-s-chills-its-eggs-and-most-of-the-world-doesnt

My grandmother brought home eggs from the grocery store and left them out all afternoon and overnight. It was fairly warm in the afternoon and fairly cool overnight, I'm afraid to eat them. I guess I'll follow the advice above about seeing if they float! 

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 6 Apr 2017 , 3:15pm
post #44 of 45

They are fine unless they have any cracks. In England they don't even store them in the refrigerator at the grocery store. I leave mine out all the time.

ronboggs10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ronboggs10 Posted 7 Apr 2017 , 1:54pm
post #45 of 45

I used to cook at a Waffle House and our eggs were kept in dry storage; never refrigerated. But....we also went through them pretty quick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%