Charging For Cakes

Decorating By ginger6361 Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 2:16pm by sunnybono

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:33am
post #1 of 4

I make cakes all the time for people I know, but I never know what to charge, so end up doing most for FREE!! Even when I have spent lots of money on them. Any advice?? icon_smile.gif

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:51am
post #2 of 4

You should first find out if it is legal to sell home baked goods.

Then, you should survey business in your area to see what kind of per serving prices they have.

sunnybono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnybono Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 4

Hi there...I would really figure out how much your cost is for perhaps a basic 8" round two layer cake. Then take that number and at least go 3X your cost and then if that number isn't worth it...go up. At least at 3X your cost your aren't losing money. The longer you do this the more accurate you will get on pricing. Look around and find out prices in your area and consider your skill. I think most people underprice their cakes. Remember people are getting a custome cake...you are not creating them in a large bakery where they are all the same. I wouldn't turn on my ovens for less than $50.

sunnybono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnybono Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 4

Hi there...I would really figure out how much your cost is for perhaps a basic 8" round two layer cake. Then take that number and at least go 3X your cost and then if that number isn't worth it...go up. At least at 3X your cost your aren't losing money. The longer you do this the more accurate you will get on pricing. Look around and find out prices in your area and consider your skill. I think most people underprice their cakes. Remember people are getting a custome cake...you are not creating them in a large bakery where they are all the same. I wouldn't turn on my ovens for less than $50.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%