Painting Fondant Silver?

Decorating By calitexan Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 11:37pm by calitexan

calitexan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calitexan Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all you lovelies-

I am doing a birthday cake for a friend next week, and have decided on a snare drum. I've looked through some of the great photos in the galleries, and was wondering:

What is the best/easiest way to make the silver parts?

I have silver luster dust, will that suffice? Should I just get off my butt and try it?

If anyone has any pointers, I'd really appreciate it!!

-L

5 replies
becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 6

well i know that some have airbrush machines that they use to color....but i don't and i just mix clear extract/vodlka in with the luster and paint on with a paint brush!!! you should be good!!!!! hope this helps.....

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 6

I do the same as Becky...Just mix to a paint like consistancy, I make mine a little on the thick side...

sugarplumfairycanada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumfairycanada Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 6

I made a drum set (in my album). I painted mine too. I mixed the luster dust with vodka, like Jayde I make my mixture on the thicker side. It takes a few coats to get it the right depth of colour and I let them dry between coats to prevent smearing. HTH

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 6

I have an airbrush, and I have the silver luster paint to go with it. If I don't feel like airbrushing, I just paint the color on with a brush . I get a nice, silver color with it.

calitexan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calitexan Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 11:37pm
post #6 of 6

perfect! Glad I don't have to go out and buy anything else! I wish i had an airbrush, but I just do this for fun at this point!!

Thank you everyone!

L

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%