More Stupid Advice To Brides!!!

Business By indydebi Updated 16 Mar 2013 , 6:47pm by BeesKnees578

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 11:25am
post #61 of 74

I forgot to add in the above story that bride was SO upset with the lack of documentation of her wedding and she and her mother haven't spoken since.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:59pm
post #62 of 74

Clearly, other advice to give brides would be to meet with the vendors you're hiring more than once--and not just the florist and the wedding dress shop. And to research on the Internet; there are many, many sites these days that are dedicated to reviews of professionals. If Joe Shmoe down the street is dirt cheap for his photography, it could be because he's just getting started...or it could be because he's so piss poor at his job that he's desperately scrabbling for whatever money he can get. It's nice to know that BEFORE you blow money on him and he drops the ball and it makes holes in the sidewalk.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 5:37am
post #63 of 74

I like this thread, so I am bringing it back up ;-)

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 7:23am
post #64 of 74

Anna about the only thing I spent money on for my wedding was the photographer.  I paid $500 30 years ago and have never regretted a cent of it.  I don't know why but I tended to look lousy in photos, even though I was attractive, and my photographer got some truly lovely shots, which is more than can be said for the hundreds of photos taken by friends and family.  I also have the only decent shots of 4 generations (if you count the one on the way in my sisters belly) of close family that have ever been taken.  Rest was cheap.  $20 to get my mothers dress altered and a new pair of shoes.  SAL did the flowers, family friend did the cake.  Only 50 close friends and family and a good restaurant to celebrate.  No frills, such as church flowers, or chair bows etc cos I'm not that sort of person and personally think they are a waste of money.  One big party, no seating arrangements, menus, and we made sure we were the last to leave, which was totally against the tradition of the time.  The whole thing would have had wedding planners turning over in their graves (when they are dead of course!!!).

We went to some very upscale weddings at the time that would have cost 4 or 5 times as much as ours and yet everyone said that they had had the most fun at ours.

And on a more modern note, one of my SALs got married about 6 years back.  They borrowed $20,000 for the wedding and all up I am guessing that it probably cost $35,000.  All the bells and whistles and 4 months later she burnt the wedding dress and walked out and they still had the cost of the wedding to pay for. 

I understand that it is a special day but I don't think it is worth putting yourself in to debt over.  I truly believe that if a partnership is based on love and respect for each other then all the bells and whistles are unnecessary.  They are not for the couple but to impress the guests.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 8:34am
post #65 of 74

We spent a decent amount - maybe $15 000 7 years ago. We had it, we spent it, we had the unnecessary chair bows, and church flowers, we did stuff to make our guests comfortable. We didn't go into debt and we had our house paid off 4 years later.

It was and remains the absolute best day of my life seven years later, and I don't regret a cent of the cost. My memories of my flowers and setting and photos are much more of a treasure to me than doing anything else with that money would have been.

Having a partnership based on love and respect and a big white wedding are not mutually exclusive.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 10:01am
post #66 of 74

mcaulir, I am not trying to belittle the experience of others.  Good luck to those who want all the trimmings and can afford them.  Unfortunately, I think that there are too many people out there who spend far more than they can really afford on their weddings. They get carried away with the romance of the idea and then have to live with the consequences afterwards.  And for a lot of them the fairytale doesn't last.

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 1:00pm
post #67 of 74

The article was written by Sandra Lee - she knows she's been on Cake Wrecks, right?

Annabakescakes Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 3:59pm
post #68 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwarhank 

You know "All men are created equal-snakes, and snails, and puppy dog tails...

This one is my favorite!

Annabakescakes Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 4:14pm
post #69 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza1 

Anna about the only thing I spent money on for my wedding was the photographer.  I paid $500 30 years ago and have never regretted a cent of it.  I don't know why but I tended to look lousy in photos, even though I was attractive, and my photographer got some truly lovely shots, which is more than can be said for the hundreds of photos taken by friends and family.  I also have the only decent shots of 4 generations (if you count the one on the way in my sisters belly) of close family that have ever been taken.  Rest was cheap.  $20 to get my mothers dress altered and a new pair of shoes.  SAL did the flowers, family friend did the cake.  Only 50 close friends and family and a good restaurant to celebrate.  No frills, such as church flowers, or chair bows etc cos I'm not that sort of person and personally think they are a waste of money.  One big party, no seating arrangements, menus, and we made sure we were the last to leave, which was totally against the tradition of the time.  The whole thing would have had wedding planners turning over in their graves (when they are dead of course!!!).

We went to some very upscale weddings at the time that would have cost 4 or 5 times as much as ours and yet everyone said that they had had the most fun at ours.

And on a more modern note, one of my SALs got married about 6 years back.  They borrowed $20,000 for the wedding and all up I am guessing that it probably cost $35,000.  All the bells and whistles and 4 months later she burnt the wedding dress and walked out and they still had the cost of the wedding to pay for. 

I understand that it is a special day but I don't think it is worth putting yourself in to debt over.  I truly believe that if a partnership is based on love and respect for each other then all the bells and whistles are unnecessary.  They are not for the couple but to impress the guests.

We spend next to nothing on our wedding, as well. I ordered wholesale roses in off white, light pink and pale pink, spent about $150, including the .99¢ vases from Walmart and ribbon, that covered all our centerpieces and my bouquet. Did my own cake, had an old antique dress my mom got from the Salvation Army when I was a little girl, lol. The grand total was less than $1,500 and we spent about $500 on our honeymoon. 

SweetBakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBakeCakes Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 4:50pm
post #70 of 74

wow!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 7:37pm
post #71 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltonteacher 

all cakes are flour, sugar & eggs....I wonder what those bakeries that sell specifically to celebrities for $10,000 would say about that.

SPEW WARNING

I'm in a good but loopy mood...

Yah sure...where's the butter?  Oil?  Car Grease?  Texas Crude (a la Beverly Hillbillies) for "deep dark"  chocolate cake?

OK on a more pleassant topic, I just picked up the Toba Garrett Master Class book from the public library and will review it tomorrow...

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 6:18pm
post #72 of 74

A" about the only thing I spent money on for my wedding was the photographer. I paid $500 30 years ago and have never regretted a cent of it"

Well even if you only spent $500 on the photography, that doesn't mean your wedding came cheap. The family friend had to pay for the cake ingredients and her time. Whoever provided the food paid for that. Wherever you had the event had to pay for the electricity to run the place. And on and on. I do agree with not going into debt for a wedding. I just wanted to make sure you understand your wedding still cost more than $500-- even if it didn't cone out of your pocket.

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 6:42pm
post #73 of 74

I'm assuming that appreciative brides - you know the ones that we cater to - will read that article and laugh their A$$es off.  The right people for our market know better!

But that is quite absurd and the writer of the article should be burned with boiling sugar!  Seriously....someone needs to give the author a BIG PIECE of our collective Cake Central subscribers mind.

It's very unfair and unfortunate.  It's almost as if that person isn't even in the wedding industry, just a lay person giving their uneducated and ignorant opinion to budget conscious people...who shop at Walmart!  Let Walmart have them...

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 6:47pm
post #74 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeesKnees578 

I'm assuming that appreciative brides - you know the ones that we cater to - will read that article and laugh their A$$es off.  The right people for our market know better!

But that is quite absurd and the writer of the article should be burned with boiling sugar!  Seriously....someone needs to give the author a BIG PIECE of our collective Cake Central subscribers mind.

It's very unfair and unfortunate.  It's almost as if that person isn't even in the wedding industry, just a lay person giving their uneducated and ignorant opinion to budget conscious people...who shop at Walmart!  Let Walmart have them...

And by saying all of this (about our target market) I don't mean to put down anyone....there are many many ways to do a wedding and I agree that one shouldn't have to go into debt.  It's all about your own personal taste and budget.  Just don't come looking for me if you are on a tight one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%