Mock Bettercreme & Variations

Baking By micnmax2003 Updated 19 Apr 2016 , 4:39am by rollingstone

rhondab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondab Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:14pm
post #61 of 97

Yes, corn starch works as well as flour - did a batch of each, couldn't tell the difference. I iced a sheet cake, added fondant cut-outs with no problems, and got lots of good comments on the taste.

Ronbob1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ronbob1984 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:17pm
post #62 of 97

Do you use the same amount of corn starch as flour?[/quote]

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:43pm
post #63 of 97

So I have a question - for those of you that can get bettercream and have tried these recipe do they taste similar?

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 11:11am
post #64 of 97

Ronbob1984, I made it once with cornstarch, but if I recall I used TWO tablespoons of cornstarch as opposed to the four tablespoons of flour that I usually use. I could tell a slight difference but not much. The great thing about this recipe is that it's dirt cheap. So go ahead and experiment. I'd try the two tablespoons first if I were you because cornstarch is an excellent thickener, and then go from there if you're unsatisfied.

As for the taste splash2splat, I have eaten both of the these recipes side by side. They have some similarities but lots of differences too. Of course, it all depends on how you flavor your recipe too. But in terms of mouth feel, there is a difference. Actually I like them both. I love Bettercreme, but I can't get it in the frozen cartons here (only prewhipped and a huge amount, and I don't want that), so I am happy with the mock whipped cream.

Try my flavoring if you like. It's not like Bettercreme, but I think it's delicious. To your basic mock whipped cream recipe (which I make with shortening) add: 1 tsp. vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp. butter flavor, and 1/4 tsp of almond extract. I hope you like it!

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:48pm
post #65 of 97

Thank you!

Ronbob1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ronbob1984 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 3:49pm
post #66 of 97

Melle,
Thank you so much for your help. I will try this!

Robin

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:03pm
post #67 of 97

This is great information! Can't wait to play! icon_smile.gif

min5779 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
min5779 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 1:55am
post #68 of 97

I tried the first one today, for the filling of my first cake and it was a lot better than I thought it was going to be... thanks!!!! icon_smile.gif

Ixtli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ixtli Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 11:17pm
post #69 of 97

I, too, don't have bettercreme in my area, so these are great, thanks

SMcDonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SMcDonald Posted 20 May 2010 , 5:16am
post #70 of 97

So excited to try these out!

MissCathcart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCathcart Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:55pm
post #71 of 97

This recipe is nice to have on hand, especially if you're out of powdered sugar. Since regular buttercream is too sweet for me it's been a good substitute for some cakes. Not good in hot weather. Aren't you glad Autumn is coming?

butterfly23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly23 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 5:08am
post #72 of 97

[quote="micnmax2003"]Since I am unable to purchase Bettercreme...I came across these recipes which are suppose to be close from recipelink.com

Mock Whipped Cream Frosting with Cocoa Variation

3/4 c. milk
3 tbsp. flour
6 tbsp. butter
6 tbsp. shortening
3/4 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt

Cook milk and flour until thick. Cool. Beat butter, shortening, and sugar for 4 minutes in a bowl. Add flour and milk mixture. Beat 4 minutes. Add vanilla and salt.

CHOCOLATE VARIATION: Add 3 tablespoons cocoa.

Chocolate Mock Whipped Cream Frosting

1 stick (1/2 cup) margarine
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 env. (1 oz) semi-sweet chocolate or 4 tbsp. cocoa
1/2 c. milk
2 tbsp. flour

In bowl mix margarine, sugar, vanilla, and chocolate or cocoa. In pan, mix milk and flour mixture and cook on low until thick. Cool in refrigerator. When flour mixture is cool, mix with chocolate mixture and beat until smooth.

Orange Mock Whipped Cream Frosting

3 c. sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
Grated rind of 1/2 orange
2 1/2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 c. fresh orange juice
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tbsp. oleo or butter
1 c. whipping cream

Cook together all but oleo and cream. Cook over hot water. Stir frequently. When thick, add oleo. Cool. Whip cream until stiff. Fold cooled orange filling into cream. Spread on carrot cake. Better if made day before. Must be refrigerated. Can be frozen.

Lemon Mock Whipped Cream Frosting

1 c. milk
5 tbsp. flour
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 c. shortening
1 tsp. lemon extract
1 tsp. vanilla

Shake in shaker milk and flour until smooth. Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly until smooth and creamy. Let cool. Beat sugar, shortening and extracts until creamy. Add to cooled mixture. Beat on high until sugar has dissolved and mixture is smooth and creamy.

Mock Whipped Cream Frosting with Variations

5 tbsp. flour
1 c. milk

Put above ingredients in a blender until completely mixed or mix with a whisk, but it must be completely blended. Put into a small pot and cook over low heat until the consistency of pudding. COVER AND COOL COMPLETELY. Set aside, then:

1/2 c. butter or margarine
1/2 c. Crisco shortening
1 c. granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Cream together 1/2 cup of shortening and 1/2 cup of butter or margarine until light and fluffy. To that add 1 cup granulated sugar a little at a time and beat until the sugar is dissolved. THIS MAY TAKE AS LONG AS TEN MINUTES - BE PATIENT. When dissolved or near to being dissolved, add the cooled flour mixture and beat until fluffy, then add vanilla.

NOTE: Other flavors may be substituted for the vanilla. Also, liquid chocolate or cocoa may be added. If you like color it takes food coloring beautifully.

Mock Whipped Cream Frosting with Pudding Mix

4 tbsp. flour
1 c. milk
1/2 c. margarine
1/2 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
2 tbsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. instant pudding mix (any flavor desired)
1/2 c. chopped nuts

Combine flour and milk in saucepan and cook over LOW HEAT until thick, stirring constantly. Cream the margarine, shortening and sugar together for 4 minutes. (Can use all margarine). Add cooled flour mixture and vanilla; beat an additional 4 minutes. Fold in instant pudding mix and nuts - spread on cooled cake.[/quot WOW thanx for all this variations

Tor1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tor1985 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:59pm
post #73 of 97

I can't wait to try this with cupcakes this afternoon!!
Thanks

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 4:20pm
post #74 of 97

hi, gold medal. WONDRA, is great to use also. A c/c member uses this and shared it once. I now see at my walmart , they carry it. hth

BORIKS03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BORIKS03 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 4:27pm
post #75 of 97

Thanks for sharing

megandeann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megandeann Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 4:38pm
post #76 of 97

Can't wait to try these

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 5:15am
post #77 of 97

Has anybody posted these in the recipes? I can't find them if they have, and they should if they haven't! (I wonder how many AMAZING recipes are hiding in the billion pages of forums?)

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 4:15pm
post #78 of 97

I still use this but with powdered sugar instead, just because it dissolves easily. People have said that my icing tastes like ice cream icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 4:22am
post #79 of 97

I just came across this thread and am so glad I did! I can get Bettercreme only sporadically, but like many others, I'd prefer to have a recipe I can make up on my own. Can't wait to try it!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 3:07pm
post #80 of 97

I'll have to try these. The last time I made that whoppie pie filling that called for flour and I DID NOT like the taste...so I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one!

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 3:32pm
post #81 of 97

Has anyone added this mock bettercreme to a cookie dough filling & with what results?

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 4:12pm
post #82 of 97

Is this also the filling for Twinkie cake?

Babs1964 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 7:49pm
post #83 of 97

Hmm, not sure just an eggless cookie dough filling recipe that I found I think here on CC. Just wanted the filling to have a "lighter" feel to it. Didn't get a reply so am trying it this afternoon on my own!
Will let you know how it goes!

Babs1964 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 10:20pm
post #84 of 97

Just what I wanted!!!
I added the mock bettercreme to the cookie dough filling and beat the tar out of it and it is almost mousse(y), thats a word right...lol! Anyhow it did lighten it up quite a bit and instead of adding the vanilla I used maple flavour and it is going to fill a chocolate chip cake. Still tastes like cookie dough just not so heavy.

Babs1964 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 10:22pm
post #85 of 97

Just what I wanted!!!
I added the mock bettercreme to the cookie dough filling and beat the tar out of it and it is almost mousse(y), thats a word right...lol! Anyhow it did lighten it up quite a bit and instead of adding the vanilla I used maple flavour and it is going to fill a chocolate chip cake. Still tastes like cookie dough just not so heavy.

AmyBee89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyBee89 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 10:40pm
post #86 of 97

How does this stuff work for piping? Is it stiff enough to do borders and things?

Babs1964 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 10:52pm
post #87 of 97

I haven't piped any of it but it is what I would call a medium cosistency and if you wanted it thicker either don't add all of the mock bettercreme to the cookie dough filling or perhaps you could add more icing sugar to thicken it. Just my opinion.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 11:24pm
post #88 of 97

Has anyone tried the pudding recipe? I'm just curious if the pudding fully dissolves. I have made a similar recipe for red velvet cake. We just called this boiled frosting but it was pretty soft. I used it on the shamrock cake in my pics.
I am looking forward to trying this one and hoping the pudding might give it a little more stability as well.

I can get bettercream but it's expensive and to me still has a slight chemical taste unless I really flavor it so this may be a good alternative.

FayMakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FayMakesCakes Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 3:23pm
post #89 of 97

I'm trying this today for cupcakes but I'm wondering - how does this hold up under fondant? It sounds like it might be to soft, do I need to dam it?

countrygirll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrygirll Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 7:18pm
post #90 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellie0h

Here is a recipe from cc, it is called bakers butter cream. I have made this before and it is like a whipped cream texture and taste. I don't freeze it as it states in the recipe, I just frost the cake. I have also sub the sugar for splenda sugar for a diabetic frosting. Pulse regular sugar in food processor if you don't have superfine sugar.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2114-18-Bakers-Butter-Cream.html

I too do not have access to bettercream in my area and am planning on trying the recipes listed on here. I know the quote/link about is going back a few years now, but the link no longer works. I read that the name of the recipe is "bakers buttercream" and I have tried to search it, but nothing. Just wondering if you all are using the recipes listed or something else from CC's collection. I can't wait to try this---
icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%