Many Thanks, My First Wedding Cake...

Decorating By kidscakelady Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 12:56am by Ruby2uesday

kidscakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidscakelady Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 20

Many, many thanks to everyone who offered advice and support while I tried to pull off my first (and I might add last) wedding cake. I managed to get it done- despite a few little "snags"- one of my 16" layers broke into pieces while torting it and had to bake a new one. Was up until wee hours of the night finishing because of re-baking and needing to take my youngest to the doctor's for an esar infection that took all afternoon.

Managed to get to the venue and set it up (about 45 minutes away from my house) only to have my mom who was helping say, "are the cake balls in the crate? I'll plate them up while you finish" only to realize that I had left them home!!! My husband came ot the rescue, brought them to us and all was well.

Can't wait to hear some feedback from the bride and groom.

Here's the final product...

Thanks again - you guys are all great here!!
LL
LL

19 replies
LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 20

very nice! Great job icon_smile.gif
the first one is always the hardest!

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 20

Your cake is stunning! You should be so proud!

carleen2140 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carleen2140 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 20

Very nice. I doubt if it's your last one, because after the wedding guest see it you'll get other orders I'm sure.
Carleen

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 20

WOW, you did a wonderful job!! Dont stop now!!!

mamajan61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamajan61 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 20

That cake is something to be proud of!!! You did an outstanding job.

I think after every wedding cake I bake, I stand in the kitchen and say... "That's it... I'm done!" But the feeling of accomplishment when the bride looks at your work and is so thrilled to call that "HER" cake... I tell ya, that's a natural high for me...

When I leave the venue... I have a sigh of relief but a bigger feeling of "hey, I had the honor of being a part of their 'special' day"... that's an awesome feeling!

When you add up the good... with the bad... I still LOVE what I do!

You have the touch! Your work is over the top!

kidscakelady Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 9:08pm
post #7 of 20

Thanks so much but it seriously is the last one that I am going to do. I promised my husband that I wouldn't get into weddings. This one, I was kind of "swindled into to" I was originally approaced to do dessert cakes for the wedding and said I would do a small wedding cake for them to cut (it was a second wedding) The bride and I didn't get together to discuss the details until 4 weeks before the wedding and she had changed her mind and wanted a big cake instead- I work with her regularly and wanted to keep the peace (with her- not with my hubby obviously) so I relented.

I am proud of the work that I did but a prmise is a promise- I do enough regular business to keep me busy these days. I did say that when my niece gets married that I would do her cake for her as a gift- so that's one way to get to do another one and not upset the hubby. He's really supportive of the cake stuff (especially when he gets the "flubs"- calls himself and co-workers the quality control team. They got to eat the top half of the 16" layer that broke- iced it half chocolate and half vanilla- looked like a giant black and white cookie.

Thanks again for the compliments!!

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 20

What a great looking cake, CONGRATULATIONS!

1BAKED453 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1BAKED453 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 10:50pm
post #9 of 20

GORGEOUS CAKE.WELL DONE

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 11:27pm
post #10 of 20

Wow, that is just fabulous! I seriously would have never guessed this to be your first wedding cake....you are a natural!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 11:38pm
post #11 of 20

If you are serious, then the cake industry is losing a great wedding talent. That is a beautiful first wedding cake!

I laughed with you over the forgetting the cake balls! I can't tell you how many times I have to call hubby to bring me something. He now just answers the phone with "What did you forget?"
- I've forgotten the microwave (when I have to melt chocolate for a chocolate fountain!);
- I forgot the chocolate for my nephew's wedding!! (and it was over an hour away so we just packed up the un-used fountain and put it away. Good thing it wasn't a paying gig!).
- I forgot the box of pillars and fountain that goes under the wedding cake and I had to go back and get that myself 'coz hubby was gone.
- I forgot the individual butters (for rolls) .... my neighbor was working with me that day, so she called her husband who took my daughter to the shop to get the butter and he brought them to the venue for us.

So I say congratulations! You passed your initiation! thumbs_up.gif

t2caudill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t2caudill Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 11:56pm
post #12 of 20

I would love to know how many times I have told my husband, "NO MORE WEDDING CAKES!" I get so nervous every time. After I have delivered and set them up I return home to find myself thinking, "I bet the wedding is over now. I wonder if they are looking at the cake. I hope noone bothers it before the bride and groom see it. I guess they have cut it by now." I become totally consumed until I hear that everything went well and that they were happy with the final product.
You truly are very talented. I'm sure you are very pleased with your final product. Congratulations on a fantastic job.

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 11:58pm
post #13 of 20

It is very beautiful! I'm sorry you won't be doing anymore, but I understand! The stress is awful!

norma20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
norma20 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:15am
post #14 of 20

Kidscakelady!!! What a beautiful wedding cake!!!

norma20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
norma20 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:16am
post #15 of 20

Kidscakelady!!! What a beautiful wedding cake!!!

disubu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disubu Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:40am
post #16 of 20

I think this cake is beautiful! I have made a few wedding cakes for friends, and EVERY TIME I say this will be my last one. I am still fairly new at cake decorating and I am always so stressed out about it. It's funny though, because within a couple of days I'm talking about the next one! I hope you change your mind. You are very talented.

Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:43am
post #17 of 20

icon_biggrin.gif Very beautiful cake! I love you detail work.

kidscakelady Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:47am
post #18 of 20

Thanks you guys. Debi- I'm so glad to hear that someone as accomplished as you forgets things too- made me feel so much better. You have no idea how much a compliment from you means to me- I'm a huge fan of your work and alsop your sense of humor- I always read posts by you because I know I will either learn something or get a good chuckle.

I really can't wait to hear how they liked the cake. It was a big one- and MAN-O-MAN was it heavy!! Bottom was a 16" WVSC cake with raspberry filling- 12" was marble with vanilla buttercream and the top 8" was triple chocolate fudge with triple chocolate fudge filling. The only thing that I was disapointed in was the fact that the icing ended up being a little ivory in color despite adding whitenener to the icing. I only use butter- must admit that I tried Indydebi's buttercream dream icing but thought that it was just too sweet.

Thanks agian all. Overall I am pretty proud of the job I did- I think my blood pressure has finally come back to normal after a week of stress. I really give all you ladies and gents out there who do a lot of weddings credit-

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:54am
post #19 of 20

kidscakelady, wow what a beautiful cake, your detail is immaculate and the overall cakes was awesome.

Glad it all turned out for you.

ps: your cakes are beautiful. Keep it up!

Good Luck.

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:56am
post #20 of 20

WOW, your FIRST??? i can't belive that! very beautiful and well done!!! I know you're proud!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%