Calling All Cupcakers...fondant Cupcake Tops

Decorating By 282513 Updated 25 Jul 2008 , 7:56pm by CheriN

282513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
282513 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 2:44am
post #1 of 7

Hello Cupcakers!! I have a wedding coming up in September and they want cupcakes! I keep seeing these super pretty cupcakes topped with fondant. Does anybody know what you cut them with to get the scalloped or just round edge but make them fit perfectly on the cupcake? I am sure my answer lies in the cupcake thread. I know that there are close to 6,000 posts for cupcakes but I just can not bring myself to read them all. Thanks in advance!

6 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 2:52am
post #2 of 7

I have used cookie cutters for my circles. I have some that are smooth round and some that are scallop

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 2:57am
post #3 of 7

When I put fondant on top of my cupcakes, I decide how big of an area of the cupcake I wish to cover and make a template or use a cookie cutter with a fluted edge... I have also used a pastry crimper for the fancier ones. For the Fourth of July week-end, I made some "watermelon fondant" cupcakes and cut my fondant with a plain cookie cutter. A pizza cutter also suffices.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 3:10am
post #4 of 7

Yup...I was gonna suggest the cookie cutter method. There are TONS of sizes that are perfect for cupcakes (large ones, medium and even small for mini cupcakes)

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 3:11am
post #5 of 7

I just use a drinking glass. The glasses that come in the Jack Daniels gift sets are the perfect size, if you happen to have one around icon_biggrin.gif

Once you put the circle on the cake, if you run your finger around the edge of the fondant, it will give it a perfect smooth look.

282513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
282513 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you all for your responses. Looks like I need to go cookie cutter shopping!!

CheriN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CheriN Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 7

I just went through my spice drawer and picked a lid that fit the size of the cupcakes... I just cleaned the lid and used that to cut the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%