Advice On Fondanting A Cake

Decorating By varika Updated 25 Jul 2008 , 9:44pm by varika

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:59am
post #1 of 4

Hi, this is my firest post here. I'm pretty new to this whole 'cover a cake in fondant' thing--I've only covered one, in fact, in marshmallow fondant. I really like it, though. I'm doing a cake for my mother's birthday soon, and it's going to be a white cake with orange buttercream, as per her request, and this is what I wondered: should I use Satin Ice fondant, and if so should I flavor it with orange to match the buttercream? Do you think the vanilla fondant would even take the orange well or go with orange buttercream?

Thanks!
- Varika

3 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:20am
post #2 of 4

I use satin ice and I love it. The vanilla in satin ice is pleasant, but it's so subtle that any strongly-flavored buttercream will pretty much overtake it anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just go with the orange you planned on and use the satin ice as is. Good luck!

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:27am
post #3 of 4

Welcome to CC. You are going to learn a lot. Keep what you like and leave the rest. Just remember to try and keep trying and have lots of fun.

You can add many different flavors to MMF. I use them often.
You also dont want to overpower your flavors either.

I think the vanilla and orange sound great sort of like a creamsicle mix.

You can try to flavor your fondant. I use the Lorann Oils - they provide great flavor with minimal liquid addition.

Good Luck.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both. I've pretty much decided to just use the straight Satin Ice and not worry about flavoring it--it's enough to do to color it appropriately! icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%