PennySue Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 46

Has anyone used this fondant?
http://www.fondarific.com/

45 replies
PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:34am
post #2 of 46

Gee...no one? I saw it advertised in this month's ACD. The website looked interesting and they make some pretty good claims.

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:46am
post #3 of 46

Looks interesting for sure, and I saw that they sell a sample pack for $1.50... but they don't say what's in it. What could they possibly be giving away for less than two bucks, a gumball machine container with a couple of random colors smooshed in? I am totally curious, think I might have to just purchase it.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:59am
post #4 of 46

i saw and tastes it at ICES. just yummy. have not used it yet to have opinion on performance.

Tashablueyes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:03am
post #5 of 46

Well now, hearing that a fondant is just yummy is pretty persuasive! Aside from MMF, which is just okay tasting as far as I'm concerned, I have hated all the ones I've tasted... not that I go around eating fondant or anything... icon_lol.gif

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:22am
post #6 of 46

Yes, I've used it/eaten it. Tastes awesome...well, awesome to meicon_wink.gif Kind of like Starbursts candy...chewy and fruity.
Its easy to roll out, just like regular fondant. Didnt tear or get elephant skin, real nice stuff.
A little pricey, but for some specialty cake, I'd definately use it.
Strawberry and melon were really goodicon_wink.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:30am
post #7 of 46

Dang, that stuff's expensive!!! Almost $20 more for the 10 lb than Chocopan!!! I don't know about recouping cost for something like that. I do have to say I would like to see how "yummy" it is though. I've yet to find a yummy fondant.

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:32am
post #8 of 46

And they endorse CC! (bottom left corner: helpful links) http://www.fondarific.com/decorating.html

Tashablueyes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:33am
post #9 of 46

Now the tastes like starburst thing makes me think I should be able to make my own with ACTUAL starbursts, or flavoring or something...hmmm

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:35am
post #10 of 46

and the $1.50 sample is 1lb.

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:40am
post #11 of 46

I bought some of the fonarific cherry fondant at the ICES convention. It tastes like the flavored tootsie rolls. Very flavorful. The buttercream was very yummy. Did seem pretty expensive tho if you were to cover a large, or wedding cake with it.

Bohnlo Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:59am
post #12 of 46

Where did you see that they offer a sample pak? Was it on the website?
I didn't see it.

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 6:27pm
post #13 of 46

I didn't see any sample offer either, nor did I see any pricing. Was I just not looking for it in the right place?

Wendoger Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:03pm
post #14 of 46

If ya go to shopping cart, its at the bottom. Says 'sample pack'.
....see it...??????

Tashablueyes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 10:46pm
post #15 of 46

Duh? How silly is it that I managed to find the sample all on my own but somehow wasn't literate enough to figure out that it was 1lb? Well, I ordered it and it's costing me $6.50 to ship it, so hopefully the sample is worth it!

Bohnlo Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 12:48am
post #16 of 46

Thanks, I also found the sample pak icon_redface.gif Didn't think to click on the cart. I ordered it, we'll see what it contains.

johnniekake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnniekake Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 12:54am
post #17 of 46

I seen this at the ICES convention and I tasted it...............kinda like a starburst,I was intrigued until.....................I went over to the dummy they had on display and touched it(I know Im like a child icon_lol.gif ) it was very sticky!!

Im a Satin Ice girl and I refridgerate all my fondant cakes............the only time they are sticky is when I pull them out of the fridge....then they dry out.

So Im not sure how that stuff would work for me.

Wendoger Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:22am
post #18 of 46

Mine wasn't sticky on the cakeicon_wink.gif
I did a drape on a pillow and it worked out greaticon_wink.gif

Tashablueyes Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 3:38am
post #19 of 46

Still, I'm sending out a challenge for somebody to come up with a recipe for fondant that uses something like Starbursts, I think a candy infused homemade fondant would rock!

EmmyD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmmyD Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 11:50pm
post #20 of 46

i bought some of it at the ICES convention this summer because i wanted to try any fodant that I could get my hands on. I have been saving it for a special cake because is was more expensive, but the flavor is great. I finally used it last night and I do not know if it was me, but I had issues with it. I love in FL so it is alway humid but that shouldn't have had anything to do with the issues as the company is based in the south and they stated that it worked well in the humidity.

Last night it get sticking to my non-stick rolling mat and kept streching an showed more imperfections than the SI that I use normally. I also had issues with cutouts keeping their shape as i put them on the cake. I dont want to be overly negative because I want everbody to get their own opinions of the product. I still have some so I will be trying it again and I am hoping for better results. I do love the flavors as did all of my co-workers today but i think I will only really use in the future if people ask for it.
Hopefully more people will post about as I want as many other reviews of it as possible.

Bohnlo Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:42am
post #21 of 46

Ok, I have to admit that I bought a 2lb container of the cherry fondarific at the ICES convention. Well since then my daughter and I have slowly whittled away eating pieces of it (yes, eating fondant) it tastes like cherry tootsie rolls and at first I thought I was the only one nibbling away at it until I realized it was smaller each time I looked icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif DD admitted to sneaking it too!! Tastes great, but I have to say that I did try to do some cut outs with it, and it seems very very soft and did not hold its shape. I was wondering if it was just because it was so heavily flavored. I got the sample pak and it included little packets of six different flavors (just a strip rolled up) it arrived via mail and most were melting when I opened the container. Made me wonder what would happen on a cake on a warm day, as the oils separated from the rest of the fondant and when I put it in the refrig it looked like crisco around the fondant when it cooled. Still tasted good, but not certain of humidity issues. Wondering what everyone else thinks/has experienced
Lori

GeminiKim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiKim Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:55am
post #22 of 46

I just ordered some samples. I posted a note on Paypal asking for the flavors I wanted to try. I still have yet to try Satin Ice. I'll have to buy some of that and compare the two. I did just try RBC - The taste was great, but it was shiny.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:12am
post #23 of 46

I just tried the black Fondarific - it's actually fantastic! Worth the price.

LillyLou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LillyLou Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 7:13am
post #24 of 46

I bought a bunch of it at the ICES Convention and finally used it tonight for my niece's birthday cake. Didn't have much trouble with it but I'm waiting until tomorrow to make cutouts to place on the cake.

My question is...should I be refrigerating my fondarific covered cakes? I made 2 tiers out of cake with Cake Boss Buttercream frosting and one using a Cream Cheese Icing. I'm squeamish about leaving the tiers out since both icings use butter and/or cream cheese. I've refrigerated fondant covered cakes (didn't use fondarific) before and had no trouble with them later but I've got limited fridge space and would like to leave these cakes on the counter under proper covers.

Whatchya'll say to this?

cous2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cous2010 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 8:13pm
post #25 of 46

I just ordered a 2 lb bucket of Satin Ice and the Fondarific sample pack last night. Hoping to compare the two and see which I like better icon_smile.gif

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 8:45pm
post #26 of 46

well..seeing as I am only an hour away from Savannah, I might have to go pick some up!! icon_biggrin.gif Would love to try, it sounds yummy. The cake decorator they list under their contacts is the designer I used for my wedding last year, and the cake was WONDERFUL!! (it was also the only thing I ate!!!) I will let you all know!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 8:57pm
post #27 of 46

I'm intrigued by this product. It's only $10 more for a 5 lb. container than that disgusting, inedible Wilton fondant. Granted, we can use coupons for Wilton fondant, but I'd be willing to try this if it tastes GOOD and works well. I think it would be worth it if it's that good.

I was helping a friend yesterday cover some cakes with fondant for a wedding today and we were using Satin Ice. I don't like the taste of it and it was getting elephant skin and air bubbles really badly. I picked up a piece to place on one of the layers and the whole thing got elephant skin. Had to re-roll it about three times and finally it was so bad we scrapped the fondant and just went with b/c. Never had that happen with another fondant before. And the air bubbles - oh Lord! We were poke out air bubbles like crazy. This was the plain vanilla Satin Ice - no extra coloring or anything else added - just right out of a brand new container. Ugh!

The bride originally wanted b/c but my friend talked her into fondant because it's so much smoother looking, so my friend felt very confident that the bride wouldn't mind not having the fondant and she was right - the bride was thrilled with the cake!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:13am
post #29 of 46

In doing a Google search on Fondarrific, I came across this and thought I'd share it.

http://community.livejournal.com/cake_decorating/1137940.html

Lynn103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynn103 Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 5:55pm
post #30 of 46

I have used the fondarific wedding white (not bright white) I used so much less because it rolls out thinner. Covered a 4 tier cake without any problems. It doesn't dry out like the other stuff. I bought it when it was on sale after christmas 52.00 for 10Lbs. I used less than 5 lbs for the entire cake. Smells good, taste good and goes on really nice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%