Freezing Gumpaste And Fondant?

Decorating By sarahscakes Updated 15 Aug 2005 , 5:40am by tcturtleshell

sarahscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahscakes Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone ever frozen their dried gumpaste or fondant decorations while they were on the cake? Do they go soft? Can one store gumpaste in the freezer before its dry? I am very curious as to what would happen.

5 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 6

I've never tried it; I'm afraid too. I've refrigerated cakes w/ fondant figures with not so great results. I've never tried to use gumpaste. Maybe someone has an answer.

LemonLyme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LemonLyme Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 6

I think gumpaste flowers would be the same result with refrigerated fondant flowers( a disaster)
I've had fondant flowers melt in the fridge on me and i'd just refridgerated the cake for a few minutes.
Gumpaste is even more delicate you know those flowers would break or even shatter because they're so delicate.
I wouldn't advice putting gumpaste flowers on a cake in the fridge.

bagadonuts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bagadonuts Posted 13 Aug 2005 , 5:06am
post #4 of 6

Hi Sarah-always remember-"moisture is your enemy when it comes to fondant or gumpaste". Good luck-Carol icon_cry.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 13 Aug 2005 , 5:25am
post #5 of 6

I agree, however fondant can be frozen before it is applied or used. The local bakery sells their own and freezes it and we unthaw it and use it and it is fine. I haven't tried freezing gumpaste on its own though and I do know that Wilton fondant does have a hardening agent, so on its own, this might be an issue. But I find that you cannot freeze fondant covered cakes or decorations well.
But freezing the decorations results in the moisture breaking down your hardened decorations and sliming them, for lack of a better word. Also, if you leave a buttercream iced cake with fondant decorations like roses and such and seal it in a plastic container, after about 2-3 days, the decorations will be quite slimey when you go to remove them.
Hugs Squirrely Cakes

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 5:40am
post #6 of 6

I have put fondant in the freezer but it's like Squirrelly said, I put it in the freezer after I've used it, just what's left of the fondant to keep it fresh. I put royal icing flowers in the freezer & I don't like how they come out. I wouldn't freeze fondant or gumpaste flowers. Too risky. Maybe try a flower that you don't think turned out as good as you wanted it too. Then if that is ok then let us know~

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%