Lemon Poppy Seed Cake Recipe??

Baking By Dorene Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 3:25am by cherrycakes

Dorene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dorene Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone have a good poppy seed cake recipe for an 8" wedding cake? Most of the ones I've seen are for bundt cakes.
Thanks

4 replies
sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:56am
post #2 of 5

Well, any cake that calls for a bundt cake pan can be made in any type of pan. Bundt is just the pan, not the cake-type.

You might have to use more than one pan as a recipe meant to be put in a bundt pan will usually be more than is needed for a single 8". But who does not like extra cake!? icon_smile.gif

Also, most lemon cake recipes can just have poppyseeds added to them if you prefer one of your lemon recipes.

Sounds yummy!

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:22am
post #3 of 5

The cake mix doctor has an easy lemon poppy seed cake recipe.

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:27am
post #4 of 5

1-box white cake mix
1-pkg. vanilla instant pudding mix
1/3 cup poppy seeds
1-Cup lowfat vanilla or lemon yogurt
1/2 Cup veg. oil
1/2 Cup buttermilk
4 large eggs
2-Tbs lemon juice
1-tsp. lemon zest

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:25am
post #5 of 5

I just made this cake for my dad's birthday - it has been declared our favorite cake! The recipe says to put it in a bundt pan but I did it as a two layer 8" and didn't have any leftover batter.

1 Lemon cake mix
1 Instant lemon pudding mix, 4 serving size
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs
1 cup water
1/4 cup poppy seeds

Mix together for 30 seconds on low, mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Bake at 325 for 38 minutes.

The icing that goes with it the best is:

Caramel Icing

1/2 cup, packed, brown sugar
3 tbsp. cream
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups icing sugar

Heat brown sugar, cream and butter until it boils. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool. Beat in icing sugar until smooth. May need to add more cream or sugar until right icing consistency. I made 1 1/2 recipes for the 8" cake and used some icing in between the layers.

This icing with the cake is to-die-for but the icing isn't the greatest for a perfect looking cake. It crusts very quickly and can slid easily off the cake. It's also obviously, caramel-coloured!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%