Anything Besides Wilton

Decorating By jekizer Updated 12 Aug 2005 , 8:25pm by JennT

jekizer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jekizer Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 10

I know that if anyone would know the answer to this question... it would be one of you guys!! Don't get me wrong... I love Wilton products, but I am finding that are really no other options out there. Am I missing something or someone? I need to buy cake boxes and since I am just starting out.. I am trying to keep my expenses as low as I can. Any suggestions?

By the way... I know it has been said many times before but.... THIS SITE ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!

9 replies
Niki027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki027 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 10

I too am not very enthusiastic about some of the Wilton products. Many seem to be geared towards someone without experience. They do have a lot of great things though.

What I do is either shop online or go to a professional cake store. I also go to a restaurant supply store. The quality is better and the prices are lower. My advice to you would be to get out your local yellow pages, and also do some online shopping.

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 10

I'm with Niki, find out if there is a professional cake store anywhere near you, I visit the one here ALL the time. I also frequent the local Hotel/Restaurant Supply store, you really can get better quality for a lot cheaper!

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 10

Check around online as well there are lots of companies out there just compare prices.
Search the forum on here and you'll find mention of several websites that sell cake products.

The best prices I've found on boxes and boards is at a local cake shop though. I guess the best way to save some $$$ to me is clip those coupons for Michaels and AC Moore and buy your more expensive items with them. Also I think it's a good idea to save a little money from each cake you sell to purchase something cakey you want.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 10

Sugarcraft.com is a great site to buy only "a couple" of things. Dolores is great at finding you what you need.

But, if you can find a restaurant supply and a local cake decorating/confectionary story, you can save shipping costs.

JoAnn

Niki027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki027 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnB

Sugarcraft.com is a great site to buy only "a couple" of things.

JoAnn,

May I ask what you mean? I love Sugarcraft, but if you think there is something better, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks!

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 8:13pm
post #7 of 10

There's another one I've heard about here....Country Kitchens, i think?? Someone correct me if I'm wrong with the name. I think their website is www.contrykitchensa.com

JennT Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 8:14pm
post #8 of 10

OOPS.... icon_redface.gif Let's try this again: www.countrykitchensa.com

cookiegirl333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiegirl333 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 8:23pm
post #9 of 10

CK - Country Kitchen flavors are really bad tasting..........almond has a sharp tingle taste

JennT Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 8:25pm
post #10 of 10

I've never tried their flavorings, but their pastry filling is pretty good....and they have a pretty wide variety of tools, boards, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%