If I Lose Weight, I Get To Go To Ossas!

Decorating By trumpetmidget Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 8:30am by Susan123

trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:40am
post #1 of 67

My husband made a deal with me the other day that if I lose 70 pounds this year, he will take me to OSSAS next year. I'm very excited at the idea. It gives me something to work for. I am very overweight - I am 4'11" and 220 pounds. I've put on 40 pounds in the last six months, which has gotten him even more worried. So, wish me luck, pray that I don't lose momentum and that I succeed. And if so, I'll see you all next year! icon_smile.gif

66 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:59am
post #2 of 67

Good luck to you! I hope to see you there.

YAYI95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YAYI95 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:07am
post #3 of 67

Good luck on your weight loss...I have a question though what OSSAS??

likitiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
likitiki Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:08am
post #4 of 67

You should check out sparkspeople.com. It is a great site where you can set up a plan and log in your food to watch your calorie intake and log your exercise. It is a free site. Check it out!

tania9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tania9 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:11am
post #5 of 67

Good luck!
I know how difficult it is to lose weight, even with such a huge goal to look forward to
I am 5'3 and weighed 101kgs (222.6 pounds) I had PCOS too which made it extra difficult. I've lost 20kgs (44 pounds) and it's been so hard. I've had to do it slowly without goals, it was the only way I could do it. I used the fitday . com website and seeing the graphs and stuff was a massive boost. If you need any extra friendly support, you can pm me icon_smile.gif

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:25am
post #6 of 67

All the best to you. Insentive is good.

Good Luck.

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:46am
post #7 of 67

Good luck to you!!!

It's the hardest thing to do. After two babies I lost 52 pounds and kept them off for about 18 months and with new medication and not eating the right food I've gained back 35.

So I'm with ya sister!! I will cheer you on and maybe I will get back on the treadmill and lose my 35.

Kathy

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:52am
post #8 of 67

Good Luck! I am also 5'3" and overweight (can't bring myself to type the exact amount icon_redface.gif ) and also struggling to lose weight. I've tried several things but have decided to focus on exercise and my weightloss goal is 1 lb. per week. I hope to lose more than that but I have set that as a goal is order to not focus on the food and make small changes and adding exercise.

Hope to see you at OSSAS next year!

YAYI95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YAYI95 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:29am
post #9 of 67

maybe we can all be each others support group and give each other that push when needed....We could pm or something....its always easier to have others that are going through the same thing you are to keep you on track....just a thought...

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:45am
post #10 of 67

Hey, that's a great idea! I would be willing.

I'm ready to start.

Anyone wants to pm me, it would be fantastic.

Kathy

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:55am
post #11 of 67

Best of luck trumpetmidget! And what a great incentive - I'm jealous!
I'm in your same height/weight class. icon_biggrin.gif

disp4so Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disp4so Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:07am
post #12 of 67

Ossas is the oklahoma sugar arts show

I hope you loose the weight and make it to every show.. icon_smile.gif

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:23am
post #13 of 67

I need to loose about 150 lbs. I just don't know where to start.

gateaux Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:18pm
post #14 of 67

I have seen a couple of treads here and there about this on CC. I think we can absolutely do this.

I am turning 40 in a few weeks and my goal was to have lost 20 lb from May until then. .... long story short I had other things going on and here I am still not there.

3 years ago I lot 35 lb, did great for 1 year, then baby #3 and the weight came back. He is 13 months now and I am ready to take care of myself again.

1. Taking 15 minutes to yourself is a good thing to get yourself in shape. I think of it as being a bit selfish and it helps me make sure it's just for me. I know people say it's not selfish, so you can call it what you want.

2. I am making sure to add at least 32 oz or more of water to my diet everyday- just fill up a large container and make sure you drink it by the end of the day.
Many research I have read say that you need to drink 1 oz of water for every 2lbs you weigh. So I way 170 and need to drink 85 oz of water a day! (I cant believe I just wrote it down. I want to have to drink only 60 to 65 oz a day. Come on we can do it! (Many bathroom breaks in our future).
Make sure not to drink more water than your body can process, this will mess up your electrolytes and make you dizzy and it's just not good.

3. When you are hungry - take 4-8 oz of water first, wait 10 minutes and then eat.

4. Have a some veggies or protein as a snack instead of anything else. Many fruits have a lot of sugar and carbs are better when eaten with a real lunch.

Everyday you can add other heathty things to do and I think this can work.

1 more thing. I think it's important to measure yourself as well as weighing yourself. It give you an overall picture. If you are not ready to do so, make sure you have an outfit that will help you gauge when you loose weight. It's a great feeling.
Only measure and weigh yourself once a week. This will give you that incentive to get there without the constant nagging of the scale.

Also remember, that when you add exercise to your daily routine you will eventually get more muscle and since muscle weighs more, you might not see weight lost when this happens. It might look like you are gaining but your will be getting thinner so that's why I say measure or gauge your loss.

With every pound you loose you get more energy and with more energy you can do more and you loose more. It's a "Good Vicious Circle" that one is!!

That's my take of it to get started. I really want to loose 40-50 lbs in the next 6-8 months.

I followed a plan 3 years ago and it worked great, I plan on getting back on it slowly by taking away the bad foods first, adding exercise, when you feel better about what you are doing it's easier to continue and eat even better.
Also remember that eating a few "small" treats 1 day a week is ok. Once you really get started you wont even need those treats anymore. Anyway that is what I found. (Cake is still good!)

Also make small goal and having some type of reward everyweek is a good thing.
2 lbs loss, going to a movie
2 more lbs, getting a new haircut
2 more lbs, getting a new book
2 more lbs, getting a new shirt.

You can make it 2 of 5 or whatever fits your weight loss.

I hope this helps and gets you started.

I am really pumped right now! where is my water!

Good Luck.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:18pm
post #15 of 67

If any of you are interested in a nutritional cleansing program please PM me. I have been doing this for several years (I've never been overweight but wanted the benefits of more energy and increased lean muscle mass).

My sister, who unfortunately did not inherit the same gene I did, was 250 lbs. She has been doing the program for about a year and is down to 150. Her doctor wanted her to get the band surgery, and I know people who had great results with this - but I'm so happy she took this route instead. Its really about cleansing your body, replenishing with nutrition, and workouts that are appropriate for your body/fitness level.

I seldom eat any processed foods and many of my cakes are vegan/organic (even the icing). But its not about deprivation - so, yes, I munch on a sugar-filled, over-processed cakes and cookies at times icon_wink.gif

gateaux Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:54pm
post #16 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

If any of you are interested in a nutritional cleansing program please PM me. I have been doing this for several years (I've never been overweight but wanted the benefits of more energy and increased lean muscle mass).

I seldom eat any processed foods and many of my cakes are vegan/organic (even the icing). But its not about deprivation - so, yes, I munch on a sugar-filled, over-processed cakes and cookies at times icon_wink.gif

I agree, this is totally a great way to go. This sound similar to the plan I am going back on.

Baking this way can be chanlenging, but the rewards are great.

Good Luck.

trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:56am
post #17 of 67

A pp mentioned sparkpeople.com and so I went there and checked it out. I decided to join. I have decided the way I am starting is to go on a diet. Most people tell me "don't call it a diet, call it a lifestyle change". Well, I think that if I call it that, I will give up sooner. If I am on a diet, there is an end in sight and hope that I can again order a big mac and fries once a week and not feel guilty. Now, the GOAL is to get used to my "diet" that it eventually does become my way of life. I figure if I am on a diet for a year, I will get used to it and life will be good and big macs will be a thing of the past (well, I will still splurge on occassion). I really like the website because you put in your food intake and they tell you how many calories you've had and how many you are supposed to have. I am supposed to have between 1200 and 1600 to lose 70 pounds in a year. I'M STARVING!! icon_smile.gif But, I do remember the last time I went on a diet, I was starving when I first started. It will subside. I remember that. I did atkins years ago. I had success, but gained it all back. THat is why I refuse to eliminate and one thing. I am just going to make better choices.
Here is to all of us! I am for doing it together. Having a friend always helps!! icon_smile.gif

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:22am
post #18 of 67

I swear I think everyone I know has packed on pounds lately (myself - top of that list!!) even my dogs!!

A couple years ago I did Weight Watchers and LOVED it!! I lost 30lbs and was smokin HOT! long story short a baby and new meds and I am at an all time high now and I HATE it! I HATE the way I feel and I really HATE the way I look!

I went to the ICES convention and was there before the convention and took my daughter to Disney. I don't have a single picture of me and her, I just REFUSED to have my picture taken this big. As soon as I'm done with this med I am joining you guys on the big D!

I will probably try WW again - It was such a great and easy program and I never felt like I was deprived of anything and I always saved my flex points for Saturday and PIGGED out. The weight came off pretty fast too!

Good luck to you all! Wish I could go to the sugar art show!! think of me while you are there!

also - I read on yahoo that people who keep a food diary/journal loose more weight and keep it off longer than those that don't - hope that helps!!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 12:29pm
post #19 of 67

This has inspired me to work out a bribe for myself...I'm rarely at a point where I'm motivated to lose weight...even though I need to drop the pounds.

So, my husband and I agreed that if I lose 25lbs (no time frame, too much pressure and too many chances to fail), I get a $200 shopping spree on cake supplies or tools. icon_wink.gif If I keep it off for 6 months, I get another $200 just for clothes.

I like bribes...it's about the only thing that will motivate me. *shrug*

gateaux Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:21pm
post #20 of 67

Bribes, rewards they are all good.

I use the tracking your food and that really helps too. When you have to right down what you are about to eat it really makes you think twice about eating that extra thing you really dont need. It's good to have treats too, just writing it down before you eat it helps you decide if it's worth it.

1 or 2 pieces of really goof dark chocolate with a tall glass of water was my Grand-maman's treat everynight before bed. She really knew what she was doing and she was thin most of her life.

Also if you reduce your salt intake a bit and increase your water intake it will help your body to get rid of some of that extra water we all retain.

Good Luck.

mbh724 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbh724 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:33pm
post #21 of 67

Weight Watchers works especially well if you can get at least one other person to go with you. You will definitely motivate each other and have more accountability. If you just go on your own, it's too easy to quit - having a friend will help keep you on track.

Good luck - 70 pounds in a year is definitely a realistic goal.

Starr_Brite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starr_Brite Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:37pm
post #22 of 67

I will echo the suggestion of sparkpeople(dot)com. It's a great, free site with a ton of helpful stuff!

We could even form a CC group there and keep each other accountable!

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:37pm
post #23 of 67

you guys are all very inspiring...i need to loose around 50lbs...gained most from the 1st pregnancy 3years ago and had baby #2 last summer...I've aggravated myself enough into doing it now! icon_smile.gif

THANKS EVERYONE! Keep the thread going with tips and suggestions and stories! icon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:43pm
post #24 of 67

Wish you the best of luck to everybody.
Like someone said it is a lifestyle. I was an overweight kid and I lost the weight. I have to excersice and eat right always to mantain my weight. I do watch my weight closely , I have 5 pounds that I play with and if I reach the high of the 5 I start a mini diet so I can go down. That way it never gets overwhelming.
Edna

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:43pm
post #25 of 67

Good luck! I have the same kind of bribe over here... I lose 30 lbs I get my own refrigerator for cake stuff only!!! (plus $100 if I lose weight before he does!)

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:46pm
post #26 of 67

I know you can make it! You've got us for a support group! (A strange support group associated with cake but at least you have one!! thumbs_up.gif )

My BF is a bodybuilder and while I don't agree with the crazy diets they go on for competition at least I take a few things away from it.

Some ideas...

1. Initially, no sugar during the week. Allow yourself a cheat day or meal (I do a day where I can eat pancakes, a fatty meal, and eat cake). It's hard, super hard but I usually stop craving sweets within 4-5 days and then you can really tell a huge change in your body. Tell yourself if you cheat during the week then no cheating on the weekends.

When baking cakes, chew on sugar-free gum. Anytime you have a sugar craving, pop in the gum!

If you cheat one day, exercise harder to burn the extra calories.

2. Lots of fruit, veggies, and foods loaded with protein and fiber. Items with more than 10 grams of sugar is a no-no (except for cheat meals). Also, be aware of the glycemic index. Knowing how foods affect your blood sugar can let you know when to eat something. Finally, no foods after 7 or 8 or after dinner except berries or apples.

3. Do cardio but also weights! Once I started doing weights, I fell in love with them (okay, i can barely do 10 pound weights but it makes me feel so good!) And I do weights in front of the TV so I can still watch my favorite program.

4. Also, watch the Biggest Loser. I find it such an inspirational show and it really encourages me when I'm feeling down. It's usually all it takes to get me off the couch and jog or walk in place.

5. I don't go to the gym (hate working out in front of people) but I have stocked up on DVD's (Leslie Sansone and Denise Austin are good starters). Plus pilates are great. Maybe a beginners will work. The exercise ball is another favorite!

I know this is a lot and I hope I haven't overwhelmed you. Just take a couple ideas from what we've suggested and start with that. Then build over the next few weeks.

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:00pm
post #27 of 67

I'd be interested in staying in touch with others that are wanting to lose
weight!!! Sounds like many of us are ready for the challenge!

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:01pm
post #28 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by likitiki

You should check out sparkspeople.com. It is a great site where you can set up a plan and log in your food to watch your calorie intake and log your exercise. It is a free site. Check it out!

I agree....I love this site. I have lost about 60 pounds this past year. I found sparkpeople at the beginning of the year and it has definately helped me keep it off. Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:03pm
post #29 of 67

I am also overweight my personal goal is to loose weight so i can be happy with myself again. I don;t like to go out with friends that much because they are all size 2 and so tiny. I was never SKINNY, but at my wedding i was a size 8 and 167lbs. I would be happy with that weight but i would like to loose another 30. Making my goal around 70ish pounds. That seems overwhelming for me so i say 30 first. anyway, i was never so upset about my weight until my last child was born and everyhting shifted. I was so huge that my skin is so stretched and its gross, plus i had a c section so the hangy flab bothers me. So i have been doing WW for 10 months and i am up and down every week. Total in 10 months is plus 11 lbs. i am good most of the time. But with cake around all the time i am bad. I have no self control at all. then i get upset when i ate too much. I can't win.
well it's funny i found this thread because i just got off the treadmill and did some squats and whatnots.
Ok i will stop blabbing, thanks for the shoulder to "cry" on.
I do want to say, that my husband is so loving and he is always assuring me that he loves me no matter what, and he would never tell me to loose weight. I am sure your hubby is not being mean just loving, but personally, i would kill him if he told me if i lost weight he would.....for me.

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:08pm
post #30 of 67

I have lost over 70 lbs in about 1 1/2 years. I was a big boned 5'6 and 198lbs. i went from a size 16 to a size 1 at one point. I have to admit that i overdid it so i had to work on gaining the weight back.
The way that i did it is with little weekly goals of 2 lbs a week. i substituted EVERYTHING i ate. non fat milk and total cereal in the mornings, tons of fruits and vegies all thru the day, I also used a lot of soy products. If i wanted a cheesburger, no problem. Vegie burger with soy cheese on a whole wheat bun. lots of coffee with sweet&low to get me thru the day. for lunch i would have turkey wraps, or grilled chicken salad or anything that was healthy and packed with protein.
you almost have to trick your mind. I swear sometimes it's the guilt that makes us pack on the pounds. If i wanted a browny or some ice cream, then i would satisfy my craving with a spoonful of fat free ice cream instead of the entire cup. Had a piece of dark chocolate everyday instead of the entire bar to satisfy my cravings. I would come home from the supermarket and wash all my fruits and vegies. i would set them up in the fridge so i would grab something healthy and ready to eat when i had the munchies.
I had very little junk food for the kids and i stored them in an out of the way cubbord. out of sight, out of mind.
this has become a way of life. Now my kids would rather eat a fruit on any given day then a bag of chips or a cup cake. they beg for salads during dinner time. I believe that i have started their lives in the right way and have taught them how to eat and enjoy the good foods. I changed the menu for my entire family. i am queen of the kitchen, so they eat what i make. why not make healthy meals?
I myself, have gained about 30 lbs since then (by choice) and am now a wonderful size 7.
It gave me a power i did not think i was capable of. I am more confident in everything that I do, and even in the way i speak and carry myself. It's amazing how people treat you when you are on the opposite side of the scale.
If anyone wants to PM me, you are welcome to it.
I will support you all the way. It is a very hard road in the bigining, then your body gets used to it.
Good luck to all of you.

By the way, when it comes to tasting my buttercream and my cakes, i taste and spit it out. Sounds gross, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%