"scrap" Cake Board Step By Step

Decorating By thedessertdiva Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 3:58pm by kimmypooh79

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 25

I have been asked by a few of you to show how I make my Scrap-boards. So hopefully this turns out ok, and I dont confuse you much...lol. You can always PM me for clearer instructions. I have accompanying photos to help (I hope).

1. Start of with your supplies:
Blank cake board - cut to size needed
1 sheet of coordinating tissue (gift wrap) paper
Scotch tape
Ruler/pen (for measuring board and marking it off)
Stickers or embelishments
Clear contact paper.

2. Crinkle up tissue paper and then tape it over the cake board.

3. Place coordinating stickers all over the board in any design that fits the theme. This is for a birthday cake.
Once you have all your stickers in place, cut off a sheet of contact paper that is slightly larger then the board itself. Remove a small section of the paper backing, and lay the contact paper over the decorated board. Smooth over the board and remove all paper backing until the board is fully covered. Secure the contact paper by sticking it to the back of the board.

4. Now you have a lovely finished cake board. Some of the ones I have done have been pretty intriquite, and the customer asked if they could clean it off and keep it. It cleans well with just a damp paper towel.

Have fun!!!!

24 replies
danijus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danijus Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 25

Thanks for this. Its a great way to personize it.

DMCG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DMCG Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 25

That's fantastic.
Thanks for sharing. I'm so tired of the foil look, and this will be great for each theme used.

Thank you again
Danielle

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 25

Oh that's really neat! great work! and thanks for the idea!

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:58pm
post #5 of 25

Hmmmm . . . we have a Paper Factory Store near us. They carry some really pretty printed tissue paper - cheap! Now I just have to figure out where to find Contact paper. I haven't seen that stuff lately. (of course I haven't been looking for it either lol)

Thanks for the idea.

thedessertdiva Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 11:04pm
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocmom

Hmmmm . . . we have a Paper Factory Store near us. They carry some really pretty printed tissue paper - cheap! Now I just have to figure out where to find Contact paper. I haven't seen that stuff lately. (of course I haven't been looking for it either lol)

Thanks for the idea.

I got mine at Wally World in the kitchen section, near the shelf liners and such.

You can do this with any theme - Christmas, Valentines day, Birthdays, Weddings, etc...it just ads that special touch and you can really do it all for under $10.00!

Gatorfan01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gatorfan01 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:06am
post #7 of 25

What a wonderful idea! Thank you so much for sharing your idea with us. thumbs_up.gif

OhioBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhioBaker Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 8:53am
post #8 of 25

WOW...this is a great idea. I have tons of scrapbook stuff! Why in the world haven't I thought of this? icon_surprised.gif

Thanks for sharing this with us!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 8:59am
post #9 of 25

This is a wonderful idea. I love it! Thanks so much for sharing.

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 5:57pm
post #10 of 25

Thedessertdiva - THANKS for this idea! I just love this forum and how helpful and creative everyone is!

Kathleen

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 6:09pm
post #11 of 25

I love this idea. Do you charge extra for the custom cakeboards? If so, how do you address that issue with clients and how much do you charge? Do you just flat out ask them "would you like that on a customized board for $xx?"

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 6:11pm
post #12 of 25

I really like this idea...it's right up my alley!

I wish I'd taken a picture of the cake board I did for my niece's graduation. Her mom picked out a stack of growing up pictures and had them copied at Office Max for 49 cents a page...putting several on a page.

I cut out the picture and made a collage around the edges., just gluing with a gluestick. I covered in clear contact paper, lightly taping waxed paper where the cake would sit.

It was a huge hit, a lot of fun, and really easy!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 6:14pm
post #13 of 25

What a great idea! I bet it would be fun to do with invites and such too, especaily for a baby shower, things like that.

I have one question though...I read that shelf paper isn't food safe. Is there a label or anything you should look for to make sure it is food safe?

thedessertdiva Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 6:55pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by amysue99

I love this idea. Do you charge extra for the custom cakeboards? If so, how do you address that issue with clients and how much do you charge? Do you just flat out ask them "would you like that on a customized board for $xx?"

I haven't charged extra since I have a entire room dedicated to scrapbooking, so my supplies are usualy something I have on hand. But I think you'd probably be able to justify the cost of the board if you work it into your price.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 7:24pm
post #15 of 25

I have been doing this with gift wrapping paper... Hallmark has recently come out with sticky gift wrapping paper if you like any of their available prints. Usually, I go for the cheaper paper icon_biggrin.gif

The situation I have run into is that I cannot find clear contact paper wider than 18 inches... does anyone have an idea on how to cover the board without the seams showing? On my bigger cakes it has become an issue... sometimes I run a ribbon around the board to cover up for the fact the contact paper does not extend over the board enough to make a good seal.

What are you all doing?

kalida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalida Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 7:41pm
post #16 of 25

icon_cool.gif Thanks for the tip. I also use the foil giftwrap, but sometimes when i take pics the flash bounces off icon_rolleyes.gif . I think i'll use this idea also. Thanks again. thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 7:54pm
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

What a great idea! I bet it would be fun to do with invites and such too, especaily for a baby shower, things like that.

I have one question though...I read that shelf paper isn't food safe. Is there a label or anything you should look for to make sure it is food safe?

I haven't been able to find anything that says it is food safe, so there are two ideas for that:

The first is that you actually put the cake on a separate cake board and then put that on the contact paper covered board.

The other is what I mentioned with the cake board I did with the pictures. After I put down the contact paper, I put waxed paper over the spot where the cake would rest. This was a bit of a pain and not a fool proof solution. The cake had no bottom border, but I cannot guarantee that none of the cake ever touched the contact paper. That was just my compromise, but it surely might not be enough.

thedessertdiva Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 8:13pm
post #18 of 25

I contacted thw Kittrich company (brand of clear contact paper I buy) and asked them about the use of the contact paper with food. They agree that their colorful designs or printed designs would not be safe for cake contact, but the clear contact paper, we should have no problem with. HTH.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:34pm
post #19 of 25

I make cakes here and there for people ...but I had a hard time spending money on cake boards you buy at Michaels, Hobby Lobby...etc...so I went to Home Depot and went to the scraps dept. and had them cut me different sizes of boards I would be using, and it cost me like 3.00 for like 8 boards.

I usally cover them in foil. My question is this....I once used gift wrapping paper and the icing bleed through the paper thus giving it a wet look under the cake. HOW DO I NOT HAVE THIS HAPPEN? So wouldnt this tissue paper or scrape book paper bleed through also???

HELP, NEED A SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM...I hate taking cakes to parties with FOIL under it...so Ive been extending the icing onto the board onto the foil to color for added attractions.

THANKS...

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:37pm
post #20 of 25

OMG! And to think I was about to sell a bunch of my scrapbook supplies on ebay because I didn't think I had a use for them!!! Wonderful idea!! Thanks!

thedessertdiva Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 12:01am
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2txmedics

My question is this....I once used gift wrapping paper and the icing bleed through the paper thus giving it a wet look under the cake. HOW DO I NOT HAVE THIS HAPPEN? So wouldnt this tissue paper or scrape book paper bleed through also???

Thats why you place the contact paper over the covered board, to protect the papers from the cake. Its a see through adhesive liner that goes over the cake board. Hope this helps you out a bit...

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 3:03pm
post #22 of 25

dahhh....ok...so contact paper you can buy at walmart or the dollar store...got it...thanks so much...this site has become like my bible for cakes... icon_biggrin.gif

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 4:25pm
post #23 of 25

This is Awesome! I usually buy the pretty cake boards and they are so expensive!

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:47pm
post #24 of 25

No one answered my question... have any of you been able to find contact paper wider than 18 inches? If you have, where??????? Hopefully, it is somewhere other than "W--M--T".

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:58pm
post #25 of 25

I need to post a joke cake I made. I did this with newspaper...odd I know but you'd have to see the cake. I went to the local Dollar Tree store and got clear wrap to cover my newspaper, I've also used cut to size clear gift bags.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%