Buckeye Candy

Sugar Work By Kitagrl Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 11:30pm by something_sweet

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:30am
post #1 of 13

I've tried making buckeye candy a few times...but they always turn out soft and mushy. I followed my recipe exactly. The ones at Cracker Barrel are nice and firm (and LOVELY!). How can I make them like that?

12 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 11:05am
post #2 of 13

Hi - can you share your recipe and maybe someone can give some suggestions. I use my mom's recipe (having grown up in the buckeye state these were a staple during the holidays icon_wink.gif - yum) and I can PM that to you if you wish.

Kitagrl Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:22pm
post #3 of 13

sure, plus any instructions would be great! I found mine online, I think Kraft or Nestle.

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:36pm
post #4 of 13

I made 400 of these for a wedding reception last summer. They turned out really well. I found you need less butter than most recipes call for. Here is a thread where I asked for help and got a recipe from a member that makes them a lot.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-3370503-.html#3370503

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:37pm
post #5 of 13

There is a recipe for buckeye's on this site with a 5 rating let me see if I can find it icon_smile.gif

Tiffysma Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:40pm
post #6 of 13

I think cakesbyjess posted the recipe which is the same one as she posted in my thread which I linked above.

CocoaBlondie Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:40pm
post #7 of 13
CocoaBlondie Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:44pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffysma

I think cakesbyjess posted the recipe which is the same one as she posted in my thread which I linked above.

Yes, These are indeed the same recipes. Must be a good one thumbs_up.gif

Tiffysma Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:45pm
post #9 of 13

Yes, that is the same recipe I used. I found the trick to them being more firm is the parrafin in the chocolate. I think I even used just a little more than the recipe because it was August in 100 degree temp. I got food grade parrafin at my local cake and candy supply store.

Kitagrl Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:39pm
post #10 of 13

So will those stay out at room temp and the peanut butter part will still be relatively firm?

Tiffysma Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:03pm
post #11 of 13

Yes, they will. I made 400 last August when it was over 100, bagged them 3 to a bag - 150 bags and 50 more scattered around a cupcake tower. They did fine and the bride was very happy with them. It was in inside venue, so a/c; but still hot and humid. They did great at room temp. I made the balls, then froze the balls and dipped them while frozen.

Kitagrl Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:39pm
post #12 of 13

Yeah, I did that too, but it seemed like when they thawed, they got mushy. I will definitely try the recipe from this site next time. Maybe my recipe didn't have enough sugar in it.

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 11:30pm
post #13 of 13

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to package these to sell? I am interested in something more like a box or plastic container that will hold about a dozen. TIA

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%