That's What I Get For Being A Dork!

Decorating By sweetlayers Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 3:51pm by SUELA

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:53pm
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse

At my house, work and potential money-making hobbies come first. It's not always fun or convenient or fair, but that's the way it is.

See, it just depends on how you as a family function.

My thoughts exactly! My husband and I are good to each other ALL THE TIME so we don't get caught up in ONE day having to be special. We do the nice little things as well as the BIG things for one another all the time so if he has to work on my birthday or anniversary, my panties don't get in a bunch and vise versa (It's just one friggin day)!. Prime example, our daughter is turning 2 on August 15th, he just got a GREAT new Train Master job working for the largest Rail Road Companies in the entire country and he has to leave for 9 weeks of training on August the 11th. They told him he could push it back a week if he needed too. I told him NO WAY! This is WORK, our daughter will be fine as firstly, she is too little to know that she didn't have a party and secondly, she is going to learn the same BALANCE that we have had before we had herâ¦'Everyday is a special day! You have LIFE and LOVE and all that goes with it...and if you are lucky, you will have it tomorrow and the next day and the next. Count yourself BLESSED because someone out there has absolutely NOTHING! Celebrate life, Every Single Day!'

BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:16pm
post #32 of 38

OMG I make cake on MY birthday.....especially a nice expensive wedding cake. To me family first includes feeding them, clothing them, and giving them a place to live. Sorry, but that all costs money. I hope that does not sound mean, but it is a fact of life. Not to mention that I love making cake, and I count too. Am I on a roll?

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 9:03pm
post #33 of 38

My husband's a restaurant General Manager and well we all know that as Cake Designers there's no such things as weekends since that's when people need cake the most. We have learned and accepted the fact that most holidays and special ocassions have to be celebrated either early or later. That's just the way it is. Valentine's day is usually a week later once we've both recovered and besides I have extra money afterwards anyway so it's more fun that way. We don't turn down $$ making opportunities. I understand that family is the most important part but at the same time that statement is contradicting because as "familly" why put your spouse in the situation of having to choose between bettering their career.....(remember she's not just turning down that cake but the potential of future customers who would be attending) or one specific day. Like Milissasmom said everyday can be special. Once you make it up to him later I'm sure he'll be happy that you took that order because just maybe his gift wouldn't have been as nice.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:15am
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Tell him to grow up take off the pink panties. Anyone over 21 that wants to celebrate a birthday is suspect anyways.

Mike

I wouldn't say that... There are lots of people who joyfully celebrate birthdays, no matter what the age. And as cake decorators, we should be GLAD for each and every one of them that like to do it up right with cake, cupcakes, and cookies! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:49pm
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by postcakes

Okay, I guess I'm a meanie, but it it so refreshing to hear that not everyone in the world has the BEST husband that they love with all their heart who supports them in everything they do, yada yada yada...Sometimes I read these posts and I think to myself, "Boy, did I make a mistake!"

Actually, despite a few little idiosyncrasies, I do love my husband VERY MUCH. He's my best friend most of the time.

I always say, "HE's not perfect, but he's perfect for ME!" icon_lol.gif

And when he get's mad at me, he always says, "It's CHEAPER to keep her!" icon_lol.gif

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:22pm
post #36 of 38

I've been with my husband for seven years (married for two), and we try to give each other space when it comes to our own interests (mine being baking, his being real estate). I'm fairly certain that if I had a wedding cake to make that interfered with his birthday he wouldn't care. We'd just celebrate on a different day. The same goes for my birthday. If he got a call about a real estate deal that would make us some money, and I had to spend my birthday without him I wouldn't care.

Any time at all that we spend together is what matters the most - whether it is on a perceived "special" day or not.

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:46pm
post #37 of 38

Let me just ask one question-does he make your bd his priorityor does he work on your special day???? That said, I think making another day his special day of honor should be sufficient. If not he needs to grow up. I agree with txcupcake, every day should be special, life is short! (P.S. I got one of the good husbands who makes it his goal to do all he can to please me, and I try to recipricate)

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:51pm
post #38 of 38

Maybe there is something more going on underneath? While I think it odd he is that upset about a birthday, he may have his own reasons. My BF can get a little irate with me if there is too much going on in my week. I have spent a BD in an office while my BF tried to find someone to fill in for someone who did not show up...he was a recruiter then. He is not big on Bd's and gifts...we are jointly getting eaves troughing (sp?)this year! However last year he made ME a birthday cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%