Some Advice About Making Mickey Ears

Decorating By loriana Updated 22 Sep 2008 , 8:12pm by messy_chef

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 11

Hi folks! My friend and co-worker wants this cake for her daughter's minney mouse party. I will be making it 1 tier, probably an 8" tier with a little ball pan (right?) for the hat on top. The fondant will be pink instead of the colors shown and should match Minney's bow on top.

Any suggestions for making sure this hat looks good? The picture looks like black fondant,but not sure how they did the ears. Do you think they are gumpaste covered in black sanding sugar? Any advice at all? Thank you!!
LL

10 replies
bemshelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bemshelt Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 11

I would make them out of rice krispy treats and cover with black fondant. Then roll in black sanding sugar. I'd also make the bow out of gumpaste. BUT...I'm kind of new at fondant so I would take other suggestions first icon_smile.gif Good luck and I hope it works out well for you and the birthday girl!

Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 11

I tried the hat a while back and thought it would be cool to use chocolate chip cookies for the ears and cover them in fondant. In case you're curious -- it is not so cool. icon_smile.gif I had a terrible time getting the cookies to stand up in the cake and they kept crumbling when I added toothpicks to hold them.

Most of the ones I've seen people use fondant that's dried REALLY well. (So yes, gumpaste would work, too.) If you don't have 3+ weeks to dry fondant, I've also heard of people who use cardboard circles and cover them in fondant. The sanding sugar idea is really cute! I like the added sparkle.

Hope this helps!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 11

What about chocolate/candy melts? If I was doing this I think I would use the 3d ball pan and just do a chocolate shell in it. You can get it pretty thick so you don't have to worry about it cracking. I'd also use the same pan to make the ears since the have that bit of a curve to them. Then you can trim them with a hot knife and glue them to the head using more candy melts.

Hawkette Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 11

That's a really clever idea, TexasSugar!

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 7:03pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

What about chocolate/candy melts? If I was doing this I think I would use the 3d ball pan and just do a chocolate shell in it. You can get it pretty thick so you don't have to worry about it cracking. I'd also use the same pan to make the ears since the have that bit of a curve to them. Then you can trim them with a hot knife and glue them to the head using more candy melts.

OMG you guys are geniouses! I would have never thought of that either! I love the gumpaste idea too and am soooo glad you guys posted about cookies. My first thought was cookies and then I said to myself "wouldn't that be really heavy?" so I am glad to hear about that not working before I tried it! Thanks so much everyone!!!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 11:03pm
post #7 of 11

I made my minnie ears out of fondant. Used the mini ball pan (I think? it's the one used to make the christmas ornaments - is flat and has 6 cavities) Dusted it well w/ 10x and let formed the fondant over it. Cut two circles out for the ears and used the round cutter to cut a bit off where it fits the cap. Glued with fondant mixed w/ water.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1184809

Hawkette Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 3:50am
post #8 of 11

I just did one last week and used cardboard covered in icing for the ears. It was super easy and worked great -- so much better than the chocolate chip cookies. I still need to try that candy melt idea, though. It sounds so cool!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 7:59pm
post #9 of 11

I made mine by using aluminum foil shaped around a cup, and pouring candy melts into it. It wasn't perfectly smooth on the edges, but I was able to shave them to shape, and cut the bottom flat. I also used black candy coloring in the chocolate (started with dark chocolate, btw). http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1252983.html

ETA: I forgot to mention this! I used the extra chocolate to stick two lollipop sticks on the back, and pushing those into the cake.

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 8:10pm
post #10 of 11

all great ideas! I have a minnie cake on my to-do list and I am saving this for the future.

I'd like to see a pic of your finished cake if you dont mind!

GL to you!

Jessika icon_razz.gif

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 8:12pm
post #11 of 11

I did a few recently where I just rolled out some black mmf about 1/2" thick, cut out circles, put in lollipop sticks, then left to dry about a day. Then I just popped the sticks in the cake and they were very stable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%