Why You Should Always Do Your Best.... Lesson Learned!

Decorating By melissablack Updated 14 Aug 2005 , 5:20pm by itsacake

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 4:15am
post #1 of 15

Today I had to make a cake for MIL's b-day party, which was this evening. I was a little irritated 'cause she doesn't even eat sweets, and dh's older bro & his wife don't like my cakes, they are diabetic and think everything is too sweet, so I figured 'what's the point of me going to all this trouble???'

Anyways, we get to the party and there are 20-30 people there, which was unexpected, and long story short, I got two potential cake orders!! One for a baby shower in Sept, and the other for a sweet 16 birthday in Oct.

I cut corners with my cake though, I just used icing for a filling, instead of making pastry cream like I usually do, and I didn't dowel, or even smooth the icing with parchment or anything, just smoothed it with my spatula... it looked good enough, but definitely not my best.

Everyone loved the cake, but I still feel guilty now that I did not give it my best effort!

14 replies
charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 4:26am
post #2 of 15

Well, you must have done something right!! That is awesome. Congrats and thanks for the "reminder" .

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 4:33am
post #3 of 15

Melissa girl, I've done the same thing! Don't worry over it. If you got cake orders then it must have been good to the people who ordered from you! Way to go!!

I have 2 1/2 sheet cakes due. One for tomorrow night & the other for Sat. I finished the one for Sat. & it turned out great! It was for the Fire Dept's Anniversary. I enjoyed doing that one!

But the other one was a different story... My cousin is getting married on Sat. His Groom's supper (the rehearsal dinner) is Fri. night. My aunt asked me to make a cake for the dinner. I told her sure but that I needed money for the ingredients. Because I had just made the bridal shower cake a month ago free! No problem. My Mom comes to visit for my bday & asks me about the cake. She said my aunt (her sister) said I was doing it for free!! I explained it to Mom & now Mom is mad. My aunt is using me. For the sake of not fighting I have decided to not mention it when I get to the dinner tomorrow night.

(Back to the cake) I wasn't into making or decorating the cake at all! I think I forgot to add the oil to the batter!! That was an accident! I kept messing up on decorating the cake so I finally just put some crushed pecans on top of the cake! It looks ok but that was just plan lazy of me. I wish I would have done a better job on it. But like some people have said in the past.. they wanted free they got free!! They better not complain either because I will say something then... Mom will too. Family!! ohhh they take advantage too much!

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 15

Tina,
Gimmie Aunties Phone # I will call her.. hahahahaha.. =0)~ Just Kidding, But doesn't the Thought of someone calling asking her for something "FOR FREE" make you smile a Little bit? How would that Rattle her Nerves?? hahaha.. It makes me giggle just thinking of it.. This is the action I would love to take with some of my family Members.. uuugggghhhh As if,, We have NOTHING else to do Huh? Geeeeeeeshhhhh..
Good Luck Not Biting your Tongue in half tonight!

~Sweet~ =0)

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 15

Have you ever tried making a cake with Splenda? I know several diabetics, but I am learning enough right now. I don't want to try a reduced-sugar cake unless someone can vouch that it taste good.

If your half-hearted attempts get you customers, then you must be pretty darn good!

meme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meme Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 15

That splenda is so darn exspensive! But it does not taste bad.

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 8:05pm
post #7 of 15

Thankfully I got out of a similar situation just this week! My cousin is getting married. Anyway, our other cousin and aunt are hosting the bridal shower. First of all, they wanted to do it and decided to move everybody 60 miles away from the bride, groom and groom's mother just so they could have it in their fancy new home which is more than an inconvenience for most of the other siblings and friends of the bride that are further south. They first insulted one aunt (the groom's mother of all people) by not using her china and crystal saying that they have their own matching crystal they will be using. Then they really made my mom mad when she suggested I make the cake. They said they had "their" girl to make the cake. My mom told them to find somebody else to help them host the shower if they were going to be that way! I am almost embarassed by the whole situation because I never offered to do the cake and hate that my mom would get so offended by another family member not using me.

Now, I can't make my mom understand this, but I really wasn't looking forward to doing a cake for those two because they can be a little hoity-toity and I didn't want to have the added stress of trying to make sure they liked my work! I also explained to mom that they have never seen my work and I don't blame them for not picking me over someone that they have worked with many times before.

On to freebie stuff...well, I even charge my mom!! I made it very clear to her and my sisters that if I make something for them, they will pay for the ingredients and I usually get about $5 more. They don't mind. I told my mom that if any family member wanted a cake other than my immediate family members, they would pay for it and to make sure they knew that they would not be getting a free cake. I don't have any problems with my MIL when it comes to making cakes. If she wants me to do something, she goes out of her way to make sure I get more than enough for the cakes I make. Matter of fact, when I did my SIL's wedding cake, they gave me extra money for everything even though I didn't want them to pay me. And for her bridal shower cake, I was going to do it for free because it would be my gift to her. Well, my MIL stuck $40 in my purse when I wasn't looking and wouldn't take it back!! I love my MIL!!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 13 Aug 2005 , 12:23am
post #8 of 15

Congratulations on your cake orders Melissa!
Haha, well turtlelady, them there is "homegrown pecans" so that cake is truly made with love, right?
Geesh the stunts folks pull trying to get something for nothing, geesh!
I have yet to taste a cake that was made with Splenda that actually tasted like a cake. I am quite willing to try any recipes folks may have but to me, so far, all of the recipes I have tried have been rubbery cakes.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

LemonLyme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LemonLyme Posted 13 Aug 2005 , 1:29am
post #9 of 15

Squirrelly I would not touch splenda on any baked goods i make with a 10 foot pole. that stuff is horrible to me.
I usually use pureed fruit as a sweetener
things like applesauce or crushed pineapples.. anything but splenda.
One client asked me to do a cake with splenda i told her No i actually had to talk the woman out of it.
I said i'd use honey in a cake first before i use splenda but that's just my personal preference.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 13 Aug 2005 , 3:07am
post #10 of 15

Yes applesauce has a good effect on a cake made without sugar, I hear! Haven't tried one with just pineapple as the sweetener, but I have tried one made with limited sugar and pineapple and it tasted great, however it was one of those darn secret recipe things and the person wouldn't share the recipe.
However I have heard that there are great cake mixes without sugar, just cannot get them here.
Also, our American friends can get angel food cakes made without sugar! I have yet to see these here in Canada, darn!
I have tried many a Splenda cake recipe and have yet to find anything that didn't turn out like a Goodyear tire, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 13 Aug 2005 , 5:08am
post #11 of 15

Get this.. I got something out of my Aunt anyway! She was showing me the centerpiece she bought today. It's silk flowers with a very pretty vase. She told me how much she paid for it & told me not to mention it to my uncle. Then she asked me how much did she owe me for the cake! I was in love with the flowers & vase so I told her that she could give me the vase for the cake & I could owe her $20. She agreed but then later told me that I didn't owe her a thing because I had made the bridal shower free too. SO I got my money after all!!!! I guess that I came out good on this deal.

PS... I did add the oil to the cake after all!! The cake was delicious!!! There was only about 6 pieces left over!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 13 Aug 2005 , 5:28am
post #12 of 15

Wonderful Turtlelady, she must have been really happy and appreciative of your efforts afterall! Glad you made a good trade!
Hugs Squirrelly

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 13 Aug 2005 , 6:11am
post #13 of 15

On short notice, I offered to do my Best Friend's son's bday cake. I used the taco cakes that are posted on CC food contest. They turned out so cute and everyone was amzed that they were cake. To make a long story short, we have a "friend' (user) who turned to me in the middle of the party and said "I need a cake for tomorrow." I was stunned "Are you kidding me?" She was quite serious--I told her no way, I was enjoying the party. She still tried to get me to do it. If I was thinking fast enough on my feet, I could have told her OK but add that there is a $25.00 last minute fee.

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 13 Aug 2005 , 7:21am
post #14 of 15

I have done cakes at the last minute that have looked horrible to me, but to people who don't even bake at all, It was beautiful. All in the eyes of the beholder. I have had comments get back to me from people that call to order cakes, saying " They said your cakes taste as good as they look" That is what people are looking for. I have seen cakes that are not perfectly smooth and kind of just thrown together, by my standards that are just absolutely gorgeous.

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 14 Aug 2005 , 5:20pm
post #15 of 15

This doesn't really go with this topic, but since it got mentioned here....

I have to try out a cake with Splenda today for a party in a couple of weeks. I haven't liked the looks of any of the Splenda recipes I've seen, so I'll be experimenting and will let you all know what happens.

I'd like to use fruit juice or honey, but for a diabetic who is watching total sugars and carbohydrates this does not seen to be an option. I've been told by several diabetics that honey is just as bad as sugar for these folks because in the body it gets used chemically the same way. Fruit juice is little better--for the same reason. Your body just uses any knd of suar as sugar and insulin is not there to process it. This is for my best friend's father's 91st birthday, so I've decided to take it as a challenge. If I can find a recipe, I'll be able to do it in the future for others, so it will help me too.

I'm trying, as always, to have everything but the Splenda be natural (that is not artificial) so this will be very interesting...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%