When One Door Closes.... (Long)

Business By mkolmar Updated 16 Jul 2008 , 1:07pm by mkolmar

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:59am
post #1 of 17

another one opens. (or a few will to confuse you)
I no longer will be selling cakes within the next few months since I won't be renting out the church kitchen I'm licensed currently with anymore. I've decided everything happens for a reason and I'm fine with it. I've only done word of mouth anyways (have 4 small kids) and things have really started to pick up once I've made this decision and called the health inspector to tell him even. Go figure. The word of mouth is really starting to take off and I'll be done soon.

Door #1) I received a call from a upscale florist who wants me to start baking for them and have a set menu to offer clients for pastries as well as cakes. They even have a friend who's catering business failed and has 2 commercial ovens to sell (don't know condition yet of them) for a total of $300 or possibly for free.

Door #2) I was also asked to apply to substitute teach at a local vocational school and once all the paper work gets cleared in a few weeks will know what will happen there.

Door #3) My good friend applied for a baking job at an upscale bakery in town. They have wonderful cakes (best I've ever had when I ate cake) and have been in business for 21 years. She did not get the job because of having no decorating experience but recommends me instead for the full time position. I can not work full time since I would pay out more for child care than I would be making. I decide not to call until last week when she tells me another Melissa who she knows went and applied and she's not really a good worker and is afraid that they may confuse her for me. I called and said who I was. Sure enough they confused the other Melissa for me. They guy on the phone was interested in me though and why I called to straighten the misunderstanding up. I told him quickly about how I bake and decorate but will be stopping soon and why. My name has been in the paper a few times for culinary related things so I wanted to make sure that I wasn't being confused for another person.
He asks how many hours can you work? I say only 10 - 15 hours a week max knowing that this wouldn't fly since they are only looking for full time.
He then says to come in on Tuesday because they are willing to work with those hours and to tell them what days work best for me. I just need to fill out an application and pipe a few borders. I proceed to tell him that I broke my hand 2 1/2 months ago and don't have a cast since I can't work with it in a cast (amazingly enough it is healing properly-just slowly) so they may not want me. He then says anybody who is willing to still make cakes and work with a broken hand for the last few months is worth having and to please come in on Tuesday.

I'm confused right now but am just trying to go with the flow to see where my path leads. What option would you lean towards and why?

16 replies
Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:16am
post #2 of 17

I would first ask your husband and see where he wants you to be. Sometimes they can see things from a different angle that we as women can't. Then I would decide which job allows you to spend the most time with your 4 small children. We only have our children for a short time, and no one can train them and teach them the way we can as parents. There will be time for full-time jobs and other career opportunities later in life after they are older, but we can never have these moments again while they are small, moldable and teachable. They have been given to us as gifts from God and we must do our best with them while we have them to hold. Just my 2 cents worth!

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:20am
post #3 of 17

I think you are right in saying that when one door closes God opens another (few more). I would absolutely go for it as long as you have the family support and know your little ones will be in good hands. The bakery are obviously really interested in you and I think it would be a great opportunity for you!!

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:21am
post #4 of 17

This question is best answered by you and your family. Only you will know what your heart is feeling. Write out a pros and cons list of all three and discuss with your family. Try eliminating based on what is worst for your children.

I always lean on the company that has the best growing potential and of course money. Money is not always the first issue because you might get other benefits that outweigh the money.

I know I'm not much help. Pray about it...ask questions..and it will come to you.

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:22am
post #5 of 17

icon_eek.gif somelse is in this same boat as me? Gee I know exactly waht you mean!!

I feel so pulled in so many directions, heck I do not know where to begin. But I will tell you this. I would research them all then you WILL have a peace about one of them. thumbs_up.gif

I wish you the very best at what you decide. icon_wink.gif

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:36am
post #6 of 17

I hope you figure this out, you have many opportunities on your hands.
You are wise to know your limits and stick to them until your kids are older. It's so important for them to have access to you when they need you.

By the way your cakes are beautiful... that is surely an ACE in your pocket!

All the best to you. Good Luck.

Monica0271 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:38am
post #7 of 17

Oh & also one plus is you have alot of options that you can choose from icon_wink.gif

mkolmar Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:42am
post #8 of 17

That's the thing, I've made a list and the answer is still not clear.
The substitute teaching I will plan on doing if I get the job simply because I can accept to work that day or decline if I'm unable.
I'm lucky enough not to need to work, my DH runs his own business and is doing well. He wants me to take the bakery job and the florist job. (but I know the bakery would frown upon this and I more than likely would have to sign a contract stating so.)

Monica0271 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:46am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

That's the thing, I've made a list and the answer is still not clear.

Give it time. It will become crystal clear icon_wink.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:28am
post #10 of 17

Very cool, sounds like alot on your plate. Congrats.

Hey if they are giving away thier ovens how about thier sink? icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Mamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamas Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:30am
post #11 of 17

How excitingly dreadful!

This is like one of those multiple choice exams where all the answers are correct but one is more correct than the others . . . Torture!

I am leaning toward the bakery job. You have decided that they will not be happy with you because of ____ and so far they have been willing to work with whatever impossibility you have thrown at them. I say lay it all on the table and if they still want you then that's where I would go. You have already created a word of mouth following, wouldn't it be nice if you didn't loose the momentum and they followed you to the bakery? It sounds splendid to me.

I would make a list of the pros and cons, ask the people that know me best to chime in, pray about it and then bravely step off the precipice. Best of luck! These types of decisions are never easy.

think about it this way: Are you sure that the door closed? It may have just opened wider to give you the push you needed towards greatness.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:07am
post #12 of 17

so if you had the bakery job you couldn't sell any cakes? I know you can't sell out of your house, but will they frown upon you selling to friends or family? That would be the deal breaker for me...

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:00pm
post #13 of 17

First listen to your inner self. You know the answer. I agree talk to your husband. Me personally I would try the bakery. What's the worst that could happen? What's the best that could happen? and last What's most likely to happen? Praying for you. icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:24pm
post #14 of 17

I would talk to the bakery and find out about their contracting. Will they make you sign a non-compete? That would be a no-go for me if it was for any amount of time after you were to leave them. I was a substitute teacher.. it's not all that fun and not consistent work. The kids treat you like you don't matter (more the middle schoolers.. I have subbed for pre-k through high school aged kids) and it can be stressful. The florist shop sounds like more than you want. If you could talk with them and have it just be cakes.. then I'd be more willing to go for it. Baking pastries is a pain.. you can't do anything ahead and if you don't enjoy it.. you'll hate the job before long. It's up to you.. ask some more questions when you go in to see the bakery.. find out what they want from you and what they expect as far as your commitment to them and what happens if you leave. the answer will come to you..

sillychick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillychick Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:44pm
post #15 of 17

I had a similar experience with working in a commercial bakery. They told me I could set my own hours and would work with me around my needs for my kids *as long as I got all the cakes done*. I thought that sounded perfect and it could have been except that once I started the orders increased and I found that I was having to work more to get the cakes done. (It was in my small town grocery store, so I'd have my time scheduled and come back the next day to find 4 or 5 new orders I'd have to squeeze in!) Many times I'd have to have my husband/family/friends pick up my kids from school or use a babysitter - which is what I was trying to avoid in the first place! Several times I ended up with my two kids sitting there behind the counter in the bakery waiting patiently for me to finish my orders - luckily my kids know how to behave! Eventually it just became more stress than it was worth and when it got so that I couldn't sleep at night I gave notice. Like you, I didn't have to have the income, but wanted to do it for me, basically. We're all much happier now. I have one more year before my kids are in school all day and I've decided that I can wait to fulfill my cake dreams until then. I have to say though that the experience was invaluable and it was one of the best things I've ever done. Why? Because I found out that I was capable of so much more than I ever thought. I don't know if that helps you any, but I wish you the best of luck in your decision making!!

mkolmar Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:51pm
post #16 of 17

Mike- I was only told about the ovens not the sink, sorry icon_lol.gif

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going in tomorrow to the bakery and will find out more then about what they expect from me and what will happen when I decide to leave and if I want to open up a cake/pastry business again in the future. I don't want to close any possible doors for me down the road if I want to do my own thing again. However, I understand that they may possibly want me to sign one so they protect their business.

Head is still in a fog but hopefully soon it will all become clear.

mkolmar Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:07pm
post #17 of 17

UPDATE:

I met with the bakery owner yesterday and the interview went great! I couldn't be happier with the interview, but something just doesn't feel right about it. I'm suppose to go in today and show them some piping that I can do, but my hand is on fire and achy. I honestly don't feel I can give this bakery 100% right now until my hand is 100%. I can seriously hardly move my index finger today so I know holding a piping bag is out.
Also, although there are some things I would love to learn from them their designs are simpler and with no color. All of the cakes are white on white with no color unless from a ribbon.
I just am going to wait until I'm 100% healed up and then think about what direction to take from there. Right now I plan on enjoying the summer with my kids.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%