The Many Uses Of A Disposable Decorator's Bag

Decorating By floophs Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 7:26am by cmp24

floophs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floophs Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 50

I just made manicotti. I always dread stuffing the shells because my shells always rip or it's just a mess in general (I've always just used my fingers or a spoon to push the filling through). Maybe I read it here on CC but I decided to use a pastry bag to fill the shells. What a breeze! Quick and mess free. I'm just wondering if you guys use your pastry bags for anything else other than icing?

~Lynn

49 replies
tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 50

I haven't, but what a great idea!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 50

icon_redface.gif What's manicotti? icon_redface.gif

Suzanne x

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 50

Really big, tube shaped pasta that you fill with Italian fillings.

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 50

Easter treat bags ... fill them with orange jellybeans; tie closed w/a green ribbon & the look like big carrots.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 8:39pm
post #6 of 50

Cocoa Cones; melt chocolate for filling molds...

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrmom

Really big, tube shaped pasta that you fill with Italian fillings.

Ahhhh..... cannelloni?? icon_biggrin.gif

floophs Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 50

Manicotti is an Italian dish. You use Manicotti pasta (they are large tube like pasta)...stuff them with a cheese mixture and put a red spagetti-like sauce on them and bake. My kids aren't fond of spaghetti but Manicotti is always a hit.

floophs Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 8:55pm
post #9 of 50

I love the idea of the Easter treat bags!

mamajan61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamajan61 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 9:04pm
post #10 of 50

I did the cocoa bags also... with marshmellows and chocolate chips for stocking stuffers last year at Christmas... everybody seemed to love it.

floophs Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 9:04pm
post #11 of 50

I bet it would work slick for filling deviled eggs and twice bake potatoes too.

Superstar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Superstar2 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 9:12pm
post #12 of 50

I use a pastry bag filled with sour cream when we have taco night in our house. A no mess way of getting your sour cream in your taco and no one is dipping a spoon in the sour cream tub and struggling to get it on their taco. My son thinks this idea is the bee's knee's.

kutabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kutabby Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 9:14pm
post #13 of 50

I just used one to fill my mini-muffin pan w/ cupcake batter! Much less mess icon_smile.gif

mamajan61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamajan61 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 9:18pm
post #14 of 50

kutabby.... I love love love the mini-muffin pan idea... That is awesome! If you don't mind, I really need to borrow your idea... I bake 600 muffins for church every Saturday evening and this will certainly make my life SO much easier....

floophs Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 9:27pm
post #15 of 50

Can you guys explain the cocoa cones/bags? icon_redface.gif I've never heard of them but it sounds like a fun idea for a teacher's gift or something.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 9:27pm
post #16 of 50

I use them for cannolis and once I tried them for manicotti, also, but since I make my own pasta crepe for them (a round crepe that I add a 'line' of ricotta-based filling to before rolling up) it doesn't really save much time than just spooning it onto the crepe. If I ever use premade, I would definitely use the pastry bag.

nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 9:46pm
post #17 of 50

I tried to tuck point (replace the missing cement between the bricks or stones) my foundation, but the cement was to thick to come thru the hole in the bag. It probably would work for grout work. It is a thinner consistancy.
Mary

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 9:53pm
post #18 of 50

There used to be a thread around here on cocoa cones but I'm not finding it in a search. However, here is a picture of what they look like from the galleries: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-90961.html

floophs Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 10:01pm
post #19 of 50

Aww...those are adorable! I've seen those in gourmet shops before. I'll have to PM her closer to Christmas and ask her for the recipe. icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 10:02pm
post #20 of 50

Also along the manicotti theme, you can use these bags to fill stuffed shells (the jumbo ones). Works like a charm! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 10:03pm
post #21 of 50

I definitely use them for making deviled eggs! I also fill them with melted chocolate to drizzle over cookies and cakes.

Made a cake that got picked up this morning and realized right before I started to ice it (and no time to rebake) that it was suppose to be an orange cake, not a white cake. I poured some orange flavoring in a bag, added a little bit of water, then snipped the end and "sprinkled" the cake with orange flavoring. Worked great (and saved me from totally crying!)

We like nacho chips with hot refried beans and nacho cheese on top, but I HATE just a big blop of beans in the middle of the pile of chips .... I like everything spread neat! So the beans go in a bag and I squeeze a dollop on each chip. Then using another bag filled with the warmed nacho cheese, snip the end and drizzle cheese over the chips. Pretty!!! (sorry ... I'm a caterer, so food HAS to look "pretty"! icon_redface.gif )

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 10:08pm
post #22 of 50

Deviled eggs and pimiento cheese-stuffed celery stalks.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floophs Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 10:32pm
post #24 of 50

Thanks 7yyrt! thumbs_up.gif I will definitely be making those for Christmas gifts. I also liked the valentine's cones from bravenet.com.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 10:45pm
post #25 of 50

floophs.. I havesome cocoa cones that look like santa heads in my photos ! Everyone loved them !!

floophs Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:12pm
post #26 of 50

Fiddlesticks...those are super cute too. Did you use redhots for the hat? What's in between those and the cocoa?

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:17pm
post #27 of 50

floophs.. Thanks and so fun to make! Yes red hots and its just crumpled up plastic wrap for whats supposed to be the hair I guess !

floophs Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:33pm
post #28 of 50

Fiddlesticks...do you actually make the cocoa part or do you just use store bought? I'm definitely stealing this idea for Christmas. icon_wink.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:36pm
post #29 of 50

I made home made cocoa! There are different recipes around ! Im not even sure what one I used for the santa,s last xmas ! But they were hit ! I also had one in every xmas stockng I gave out to family members ! I like to give out home made goodies for special days !

floophs Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:44pm
post #30 of 50

Thanks Fiddlesticks for your help. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%