Would You Make Your Own Birthday Cake??

Decorating By SOULLA13 Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 7:19pm by crisseyann

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:34am
post #61 of 93

Well when my dad was alive he would always have one made for me ... But my dad AND the baker he used both died within 6 months of each other. My mom is 75 and I don't even think she remembers my birthday on time to make anything. My DH doesn't bake me one anymore and my kids are to young to do it. So no I don't get one. And yes I secretly long for one but won't make my own. I hope one of these days that my family finds me important enough to plan something for me.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:10pm
post #62 of 93

I usually do, cuz then I know it will be good! LOL! But, it's usually not a decorated one icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

oboemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oboemommy Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 9:03pm
post #63 of 93

I would make my own, except for the fact that my DD's bday is the same week. So I just make her cake. Last year (my 30th), my mom had a small party for me with a purchased cake (small bakery in town, not chain-store). It was yummy and I probably won't get another until I turn 40!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 9:07pm
post #64 of 93

The last party I have seen was my 16th LOL.. probably will be my only one. My DH is about as much of a planner as he is a carpenter (and that is ZILTCH on the carpentry area LOL)

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 9:42pm
post #65 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerbounce

I think I will have a party to celebrate with others and give THEM gifts for being my friends. Thank them for making my 40 years great.

I've never baked my own cake, but I definitely would! I did throw my own birthday party a couple of years ago. We had just moved into our home and finally had room to entertain after spending more than 15 years in a postage stamp home with no room indoors or out for entertaining.

I decided I wanted to celebrate with family and friends so I invited them to my party. Hubby grilled burgers, but I had to do all the work (make the patties, cut the onions, lettuc, tomotes, etc.), but it was worth it to enjoy the day with loved ones. I think the cake came from Wal-Mart! I can't recall if I bought it or if I "instructed" someone to pick it up on their way to my house!

PrincessMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrincessMommy Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:53am
post #66 of 93

I just made my own cake a couple of weeks ago! I am just learning to decorate and my mom jokingly asked me if I was bringing cake to my own party. I told her yes! It was a great way for me to practice and everyone loved it! I say go for it!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:49pm
post #67 of 93

I'd RATHER make my own cake! That way I get to do designs/flavors I've been dying to try!

I wanted to make my cake last month, but someone insisted on bringing one and it wasn't as good as mine! :'(

Shyanne_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shyanne_Mommy Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:18pm
post #68 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOULLA13

This is my small dilemma i have, i am turning 30 in August and wondering if it looks a bit sad if i made my own birthday cake! What do you think have any of you made own own birthday cakes?

I myself will be turning 30 in October and let me tell you I can't wait and I told my family I am making my own cake and don't even think about buying one for me.

I decided to do a Wilton Charater Pan from my childhood. It is a Wuzzle the Elephant/Kanaroo I can remember his name right now but I purchased him last year off of ebay and knew that was gonna be my theme considering Wuzzles were one of favorite and my first sleeping bag was the Wuzzles....LOL Those were the days of good cartoons!!

Good Luck! 30 is a great year!!!

Autumn

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 8:57pm
post #69 of 93

Made my own birthday cake today! Tried some new flowers. They were supposed to be lilacs, but I didn't know what tips to use. So, once again, I just made it up as I went.

Four layers of french vanilla cake alternated with three layers of red raspberry filling. Covered and decorated in buttercream frosting.

Having friends over this afternoon and hopefully it will be all eaten up!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:44pm
post #70 of 93

I've had several people ask me at work if I'm making my own baby shower cake! Heck no! I've never made a birthday cake for myself, & I'm certainly not making a shower cake when I'm 9mons pregnant!
I never seem to want cake on my birthday anyway. If the cake's not to die for, I feel that it's just a waste of calories. I'd rather have a pie or cheese cake.
That's just my opinion. If you want to make your own cake, go for it.

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:58pm
post #71 of 93

I haven't read the entire thread, and I know it's past your birthday (happy belated birthday!) but I have made my last few birthday cakes. Well, actually, the last one I made was a birthday key lime pie, but thats what I wanted! icon_biggrin.gif I figure, I enjoy making the cakes and I enjoy eating them, so I might as well make my own and know its good! (My Mom and MIL have questionable baking skills lol. I think I got it from my step dad who is now in NY)

chrissy410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissy410 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 11:09pm
post #72 of 93

After last years grocery store cake for my birthday I am definately making my own. GAG!! I turn thirty in October and I want a chocolate cake with chocolate covered strawberries on top. I know it will probably look like a groom's cake but I don't care! I want to try a good chocolate cake recipe and filling but haven't looked yet.

levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:28pm
post #73 of 93

I make my own birthday cake every year, only once did hubby take the initiative to order one for me (he worked with someone who did cakes, and she offered it for cost). I don't really mind making my own birthday cakes, but I did resent having to make my own graduation cake.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:58pm
post #74 of 93

No I wouldn't... don't think there's anything wrong with it if someone else wants to, but birthdays are a big deal with us, and we like to spoil each other, make surprise plans, etc. When it comes to my birthday I don't cook/bake, clean, make plans/reservations/arrangements--NOTHING!

grammynan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammynan Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:22pm
post #75 of 93

Absolutely I would make my own cake and I have. One year everyone was so busy. The kids were in college and my husband had been out of town til the day before. So I decided that rather than sit around moping because nobody cared that it was my birthday, I made my own party. I baked a cake, made a fancy dinner and even got out the good china. It was a wonderful party and it relieved any guilt that may have been felt by my loved ones. It was a blast!!

ASimpleBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASimpleBaker Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:23pm
post #76 of 93

I have and don't mind it at all. The next birthday I am doing a Disney ride themed cake that I have been planning for a while..I am excited because it usually gives me a chance to try a new design I want and I get to eat it too! LOL thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:27pm
post #77 of 93

Darn tootin'! I usually make something more outside the box than the chocolate cake everyone has me make for them! I love lemon cake, or lemon meringue pie....too lazy to make it usually, so give myself a yummy treat on my b-day!

Hubby doesn't even want cake for his birthday - as long as he gets biscuits and gravy for breakfast that day! icon_lol.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:32pm
post #78 of 93

YES, YES ,YES!!! I wouldn't trust anyone else to do a decent job lol! This year's cake (on the 20th) is going to be ballroom themed because not only is it my birthday, but it's the season opening night of Strictly Come Dancing (Dancing with the Stars to you US guys!), with which I'm completely obsessed lol! I'm having the girls round with feather boas, tiaras and the obligitary dancing shoes to watch the show and eat cake. Only drawback is that I've just had 2 large cakes ordered for that day too, so now I need to plan the whole week with military precision if I'm going to have the time to make mine as well!

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:33pm
post #79 of 93

Oh, heck yes. I'd much rather bake something yummy than have my DH pick up a grocery store cake. The last store bought cake I had did not taste good at all and was dry. It sure wasn't worth the money. For my birthday this year, I made a fudge marble cake, iced with chocolate buttercream and covered that with chocolate ganache. It rocked.

robinleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinleah Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:39pm
post #80 of 93

you bet. I turned 40 this year and I wanted a cake for me that had me all over it. No flowers or frills, as I am a star trek fan, I went geek all the way. loved it.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:49pm
post #81 of 93

Absolutely. I've been to plenty of events where I turned down a piece of the cake. All I have to do is smell the fake vanilla or butter flavor, and I won't touch it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Bunniefluf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunniefluf Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:56pm
post #82 of 93

My birthday's in a couple weeks and I definitely plan to make my own cake!! icon_surprised.gif
Why should I suffer with store bought cake when no one else in my family does?? LOL!! icon_lol.gif Of course they try to insist that I not make my own cake because I shouldn't have to go to the effort on my own birthday, which is commendable and thoughtful, but then I either suffer with store bought, or I don't have a cake! icon_cry.gif
There is one bakery that has cake that I actually like, but the flip side to that is unless I go for one of their 'standard' birthday cake designs, then an arm-and-leg price is put on it for custom...that just circles around to, I'm not paying (or having someone in my family pay) so much for something that I can do at home and get it exactly as I want it! (I know, I know, not real supportive of my fellow bakers/decorators, considering I'd charge the same amount...but the point is that I learned the skill to avoid the price for my own cakes! LOL!!! icon_lol.gif )
If it were a formal party or something, then I might opt to have someone else do the cake, but just for my regular 'ole every year birthday?? No way! I'll do it myself and get exactly what I want!! icon_biggrin.gif

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 4:26pm
post #83 of 93

My favorite cake is Italian Cream Cheese. Last year my husband ordered one for me from a local/popular bakery. I called and cancelled the order. Why should he pay for something that is not as good as what I can make. Mine is better and it's my birthday, so I made my cake and enjoyed it down to the last piece.

So, if that's what will make you happy, it's no way for it took look sad.

Life's too short. So, eat cake and let it be cake that you like.

Happy B'day!!!! thumbs_up.gif

cakeymom

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:59pm
post #84 of 93

I forgot to mention that while I was happy to bake my own cake, DH gave me a birthday weekend. Saturday night he grilled awesome ribeye steaks with baked potatoes and smothered green beans with bacon and invited our closest friends to dinner. Then yesterday (Sunday), we invited the same couple back for dinner along with their kids and a coworker/friend of mine and her family. DH barbecued pork steaks (which are thick sliced pork butt roast), and the sides were rice dressing, baked beans, and homemade potato salad. He made it all!

Of course, the best part of the meal was dessert, which was the cake I had baked served with Bluebell Brand Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream.

It was a perfect weekend that built up to my birthday, which is today!

jackmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackmo Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:37pm
post #85 of 93

Yes, i love to make my own birhtday cake. My family thinks i am crazy though. Some times they beat me to the punch and buy me one. Just another excuse to try new designs!

Onome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Onome Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:44pm
post #86 of 93

Soulla13. I too turned 30 in June and I made my own cake. It was the most beautiful cake I ever had in my life and I was so proud of it. The thing is since I started baking, no one in my life would ever agree to buy a cake so I am expected to make every cake including mine. I definitely do not mind because I love my own cakes and I think that it would cost too much for my family and friends to get me a cake that I would like when I would rather have lots of presents. So I guess I will continue making my cakes.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:46pm
post #87 of 93

My best friend is throwing a joint party for me and her bf (our bdays are Oct. 24th and 25th). The first thing I told her was not to buy a cake! If I don't make the cake, I won't eat the cake. Besides, I can do so much better than a plain sheet cake from a grocery store. Of course once her bf heard I was making the cakes, he requested a Transformers cake. I want an 80's cake with all my favorite stuff from my childhood -- Strawberry Shortcake, Care Bears, Jem, Ninja Turtles etc. Since it's also a Halloween themed costume party, she asked if I could make the Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein cakes too (since she's buying the food and everything else, of course I can!). So I'm making FOUR cakes for my birthday! icon_lol.gif

Teena_Marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teena_Marie Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:50pm
post #88 of 93

I always make my own birthday cakes. i even did my own wedding cake!

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:52pm
post #89 of 93

Sadly I haven't had a birthday cake since I've gotten married. I'm lucky if my hubby even REMEMBERS my birthday. Although he said he was gonna make me a "GREAT" one this year with my son to help him (who will just be a over a yr old at the time). I really hope they do make the cake for me. I can make myself a great tasting cake anytime, all I really want is for them to do something for me icon_smile.gif

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:52pm
post #90 of 93

after this year's fiasco for my bday cake, making my own might be a good idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%