Omg I'm I The Only One That Hates This???

Decorating By pinkbiz Updated 13 Apr 2013 , 3:23pm by kikiandkyle

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 8:22pm
post #61 of 262

OK girls, I would agree that the fountain/stairs are pretty outdated, but if used in a modern design, they can still produce a "wow". (Don't make fun of me! icon_redface.gif )

Just last year I had a bride use both in her fall themed wedding and I though it was really pretty. I used a deep red/orange water and the flowers all coordinated well. We tied ribbon around each pillar.

Even antiques in the right setting can look nice.

There are several different views on my website but here are 2 samples:
LL
LL
LL

minorfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minorfan Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 8:24pm
post #62 of 262

Hi Hawkette nice cake - how many did it feed ?

I would have been scared the cake would fall or the stairs would!!

It still amazes me that we have all this tulle that we would never use for anything else and yet for every wedding there it is. I never noticed the cakes at weddings till I started doing this back in oct when I decided to learn to do my daughters wedding.

I am so glad I talked my daughter and son-in-law into a black and white wedding. No outdated wedding photos.

peach and tan and baby blue in the 70's

blue and pink in the 80's

I dont remember what the 90's were but

Starbucks coffee, latte, chocolate were pushed hard the last few years.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 8:25pm
post #63 of 262

is it just me or...

do brides always look beautiful and the grooms like they're sick to their stomachs/hung over?

(and someday I'll learn to type and spell!)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 8:26pm
post #64 of 262

Brenda, you look so pretty! Your cake is a Lady Windemere with hearts sucha classic, so well done.

Would you have preferred the cake decorator to not have called you and then just done the best she could? That's how I set mine up--you commission me, I do my best. I make the executive decisions for you, no extra charge.

minorfan Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 8:29pm
post #65 of 262

Doug you cant be looking at my photo!! I was so hungover that I had to have 3 different shot to stop throwing up!! Thank god our DR was invited to the wedding. I spent more time with him that day than with anyone.

After the rehersal dinner the guys decided to have a bachelor party so all the girls took me out. We got back to my place at 4am, the guys were all sitting there and had been back since midnight!!

Which probably explains why I could not remember what my cake looked like.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 8:32pm
post #66 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by KASCARLETT

Chocolate basketweave, like on a groom's cake! lol I did one last year, I think its in my pictures here, not sure though.

Ohhhhhh! The ICING is chocolate! Well, I think I've had my "duh!" moment of the day! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Wjk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wjk Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 8:32pm
post #67 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorfan

OK I will lead off with the wedding cake cutting photo 1978!!
I swear I had nothing to do with choosing this cake. I checked my sisters cake (she got married 10 years before me and it was a 5 level tier with pillars between each level) my mom was adament about doing things just like my sister had but my cake was totally different than hers and yes there are sugar bells!!

No laughing ( at least not too much) what was I thinking with the two tone tux's - at least you can not see the peach dresses. Reeption was held at the Sheraton that had just been built and was the big thing at the time ( 30 years later it is a holiday Inn!!)

When I see this picture its exactly like looking into my parents wedding album. icon_smile.gif I'm almost sure my dad wore that same tux.

Now I'm wondering what their cake looked like!

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 8:54pm
post #68 of 262

Sorry, an antique (like 18th Century) chair in a modern setting can be carried off successfully - you won't ever be able to convince me that fountains and stairs (and hearts...) can truly work other than for a recreation of a 70's or 80's wedding cake for an anniversary/vow renewal.. But then, should I ever do a wedding cake, it will be something very non-traditional. If I put a staircase in a cake, it's because it's a dollhouse or something... Fountains and staircases...please pass the pepto...STAT!!! I just can't stomach that and my clients will know that. Once I get my biz started, I will find some locals that do do the fountain/staircase/tuknruffle so that I can farm those out... 'cause they are not crossing my threshold.

Oh, and Minorfan...Love your pic - and LOVE the story as to why you cannot recall the cake...Huzzah!!! icon_smile.gif Hey, the absolutely important thing is your marriage is still going strong after 30 years! icon_smile.gif Many more happy years to you both!!!icon_smile.gif
Namaste
Wendl

-K8memphis Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 8:54pm
post #69 of 262

Sunlover00--I love your fountain cakes, updated and still making dreams come true! Lots of girls like the fountain.

Doing a fountain or not is like piping roses or strings. It's a matter of paying dues which of course is one of the things this profession can get away with Not doing. We can jump right in and sink or swim because we can lassoo it and make it what we want from the get go.

'Course if you need to pay the light bill...

SL00--lovely and beautiful work <applause here>

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 8:59pm
post #70 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendl

Sorry, an antique (like 18th Century) chair in a modern setting can be carried off successfully - you won't ever be able to convince me that fountains and stairs (and hearts...) can truly work other than for a recreation of a 70's or 80's wedding cake for an anniversary/vow renewal..

I was thinking the same exact thing! thumbs_up.gif Sunlover's cake was very pretty, but it was lost in all those stairs and fountains.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 9:12pm
post #71 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by amia1024

Quote:

Sorry, an antique (like 18th Century) chair in a modern setting can be carried off successfully - you won't ever be able to convince me that fountains and stairs (and hearts...) can truly work other than for a recreation of a 70's or 80's wedding cake for an anniversary/vow renewal..

I was thinking the same exact thing! thumbs_up.gif Sunlover's cake was very pretty, but it was lost in all those stairs and fountains.

Well we'll give y'all two or three hundred to catch up with us(like the 18th century chair example). icon_lol.gif

Edited to say--oops got called off to dindin before I edited this post--2 to 300 years of course.

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 9:22pm
post #72 of 262

Here's another one
LL

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 9:25pm
post #73 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Well we'll give y'all two or three hundred to catch up with us(like the 18th century chair example). icon_lol.gif

stfua[/quote]

Excuse yourself??? "STFUA"!??!?! Nice talk there!

Oh, you will "give" us two or three hundred WHAT to 'catch up' w/you?

If you want to give us 2-300 dollars, you would be wasting your money...

If you were being ever so 'generous' as to giving us 2-300 cakes in which we would feel compelled to do a tackified stairway cake??? No way, I made it quite clear that that um, "style" is not, nor will it ever be in my book.
And if you would read the quote in your signature tagline - you would do well to take that advice to heart. I didn't say folks were wrong to do something, I said that is something I wouldn't DO.

Here's a refresher in case you missed your own saying: Is it not utterly fascinating how one baker's 'never ever do'
is the next bakers', 'I swear by this' and they are both right?

How's about YOU take some of your own advice, n'est ce pas?
Wendl

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 9:50pm
post #74 of 262
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amia1024

Quote:

stfua

Really? This is your response? This is not a playground fight. Be respectful. thumbsdown.gif Nothing I said was out of line or disrespectful. That was very immature and totally uncalled for. Unless of course "STFUA" stood for something different "back when" and you're not aware of the acronym's meaning today, then I apologize, but I doubt that is the case.

suzted7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzted7 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 9:52pm
post #75 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

aw geez.... I forgot... Tuk-n-Ruffle.

I hate those kind of cutesy misspellings, too.... übertacky.

how did you get the umlaut over the u in ubertacky??????

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 9:58pm
post #76 of 262

I live overseas and the umlaut is already on my keyboard.

alicia.... that topper is just the KING of tacky toppers! I think my eyes might be bleeding.

Doug Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 10:05pm
post #77 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzted7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

aw geez.... I forgot... Tuk-n-Ruffle.

I hate those kind of cutesy misspellings, too.... übertacky.

how did you get the umlaut over the u in ubertacky??????

it can be done w/ ALT key codes.

hold ALT key and type in code number on KEYPAD (not top row). release ALT key

ü << ALT + 0252

here's the full list:

http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/accents/codealt.html

(amazing the stuff you have to know to be a HS newspaper adviser!)

LorienSkye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LorienSkye Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 10:09pm
post #78 of 262

I have to say.........having just gotten into cake decorating in the past year, and being pretty young......I have always thought that staircases and fountains and basketweave were TOTALLY "ubertacky" as chutzpah so aptly said. However, just a couple of months ago I had a bride contact me and she wanted a basketweave wedding cake and I thought to myself "Here we go.....something really outdated." But the design we came up with was very updated and I ended up loving the end result! So, I am now a firm believer that some of the old "classic" cake decorating styles can be incorporated into a chic modern cake. (Don't know that I will ever be sold on the tuk-n-ruffles, though........ewwwww!)

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 10:10pm
post #79 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

is it just me or...

do brides always look beautiful and the grooms like they're sick to their stomachs/hung over?

(and someday I'll learn to type and spell!)

Mine was hung over/sick & he ate a whole roll of Certs right before the ceremony, because he was nervous!

-K8memphis Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 11:04pm
post #80 of 262
Quote:

Quote:

stfua

Excuse yourself??? "STFUA"!??!?! Nice talk there!

Oh, you will "give" us two or three hundred WHAT to 'catch up' w/you?

If you want to give us 2-300 dollars, you would be wasting your money...

If you were being ever so 'generous' as to giving us 2-300 cakes in which we would feel compelled to do a tackified stairway cake??? No way, I made it quite clear that that um, "style" is not, nor will it ever be in my book.
And if you would read the quote in your signature tagline - you would do well to take that advice to heart. I didn't say folks were wrong to do something, I said that is something I wouldn't DO.

Here's a refresher in case you missed your own saying: Is it not utterly fascinating how one baker's 'never ever do'
is the next bakers', 'I swear by this' and they are both right?

How's about YOU take some of your own advice, n'est ce pas?
Wendl

You have me as the author of something I did not write. I like Sunlover's cake very much I can see it very well. I did not write that critique about her cake. The following is my comment on her cake.

Quote:

Sunlover00--I love your fountain cakes, updated and still making dreams come true! Lots of girls like the fountain.

Doing a fountain or not is like piping roses or strings. It's a matter of paying dues which of course is one of the things this profession can get away with Not doing. We can jump right in and sink or swim because we can lassoo it and make it what we want from the get go.

'Course if you need to pay the light bill...

SL00--lovely and beautiful work <applause here>

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 11:27pm
post #81 of 262

You have to remember that not only did the cakes have lacy tuk-n-ruffle around them but, in your home the table lamps and vases all had hand crocheted doilies under them. It was a look which people were expecting. Things just looked plain without that bit of lace. I never liked the cheapness of the plastic staircases. I think that was a Wilton thing. They could have been made of something nicer. I guess the plastic went well with that, "wood paneling" on the walls behind. The fountains brought in that, "flowing water" which meant, happiness for you.

I sometimes miss some of the drama and "over do" of the past. I love the old theaters, the massive cars of the 60's, houses with big tall ceilings and yes the days of the hats both for men and women. It so made their outfits complete.

We used to be a proud people and dressed and acted that way. Down for me are: Fast food, skin tight clothing with no flow of fabric, compact cars, houses which are all one big room with no personality, theaters which look like a little room with a big screen T.V. Language which sounds as though they have no vocabulary of appropriate words. We have lost a lot of the glamor and excitement of the past. I even heard this week that there is talk of doing away with capitalization in our written language because no one uses it in emails.

I for one, am very happy that I was a part of the past generation.

I am okay with laughs about how strange these things look today and don't mean to put a damper on them. I just don't want you to feel sorry that everyone in those days lacked for artistic abilities.

No those days will never come back and we don't want everything to look the same our whole lives and some of it is funny to remember how we loved it. I used to sew in the 60's and 70's and when polyester came out I was in Heaven. I made swimsuits, underwear, and a leisure suit for my husband. I hate man made fabrics today.

I also have no pictures to show because it is all on that outdated photo paper. I love my digital camera.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 11:34pm
post #82 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

You have to remember that ..... in your home the table lamps and vases all had hand crocheted doilies under them.

HEY!! I have doilies under my lamps! And I crocheted every single one of them myself! icon_biggrin.gif

It's not called "old-fashioned"..... in decorating circles, I have a "Victorian Motif"! (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!) icon_razz.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 11:48pm
post #83 of 262

I've really been enjoying reading all of this...except the minor argument (although I did learn a new acronym).

I always thought the Wilton look with the fountain and the stairs and all the little plastic attendants to go on the stairs was designed by Wilton to sell more Wilton.

I think the tuk-n-ruffle was Wilton's simplified version of Australian extensions on the cake...a way to get that pretty lacy look without the complicated work. Just my guess though.

Doug Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 11:52pm
post #84 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

You have to remember that ..... in your home the table lamps and vases all had hand crocheted doilies under them.

HEY!! I have doilies under my lamps! And I crocheted every single one of them myself! icon_biggrin.gif

It's not called "old-fashioned"..... in decorating circles, I have a "Victorian Motif"! (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!) icon_razz.gif

LOL...

mine are store bought --

i call it Casual Country

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 12:32am
post #85 of 262

I love the old theaters.BCJean
. I must say I love them to ! Its like you really went to a movie !! Im so excited when we happen to run across one !

Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:16am
post #86 of 262
Quote:

Well there's a close second for gutsiest with Hawkette posting STAIRCASES!!!! Agh!!!-- But dang that's a really pretty spread. Too bad the youngsters don't have the eyes to see the beauty.

H-you look stunner too!

What year was that?

Hah! Memphis, you got me. It was 2003. icon_surprised.gif Just a few years after the eighties. I didn't know anything about cakes. I looked in the Wilton yearbooks to get ideas, which of course were touting their fabulous staircases as the greatest thing ever (*cough*). I didn't have the budget of these gals you see on TV, so we went to a local grocery store. It was an upscale grocery store, but still, a grocery store. I insisted that my cake not have that nasty fake fluff frosting that Wal-mart has, though. This was at least a quite yummy buttercream. And really, it tasted pretty good (from the sliver that I got). I was pretty shocked by the color, though. My color was periwinkle (a pastel mix of blue and purple). That was a cornflower blue!

MadPhoeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadPhoeMom Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:19am
post #87 of 262

still funnest post i've read in a while....
i'm sure this isn't the place, but how are you guys posting photos IN your post? i have mine at the ready....
dang tacky, it is.....

sally

Hawkette Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:23am
post #88 of 262

Actually, the thought behind the staircases was more because I was trying to keep costs down by using sheet cakes, but I wanted to somehow incorporate them into the tiered cake. I don't remember how many it was supposed to feed. I think around 200. I had thought about using the bridesmaid and groomsmen figurines, though! Ugh. Looking back at these pictures, there are a lot of places where I've said, "What was I thinking?!?"

minorfan Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:23am
post #89 of 262

type your post then look at the bottom of the text area and there is another darker purple border line that says Attachment posting control panel with a box that reads - Add an Attachment - just hit that button and it will promt you to browse for your photos just like uploading a photo to the gallery.

Hawkette Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:25am
post #90 of 262

Sally, instead of using the "Quick Reply" box, click on the "post reply" button at the bottom of the posts on the left side. There is a button for attaching pictures. Click it and wait a minute while it loads the box for you. Then use the box to find the picture on your computer. We can't wait to see it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%