Omg I'm I The Only One That Hates This???

Decorating By pinkbiz Updated 13 Apr 2013 , 3:23pm by kikiandkyle

NanaNut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaNut Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:57am
post #241 of 262

[quote="amia1024"][quote="carmenid"]

Sounds like every display cake in every bakery in San Antonio. I guess people here like ugly. icon_cry.gif quote]

Ha ha. Being Mexican, I can tell you it is a Mexican thing. I don't understand it and am totally embarrased about it. It is huge at quincinerras and weddings still. I cring every time I go to a realatives wedding or get pictures of quincineras. I am glad to see that the new age kiddos are branching out and going for more contempary cake designs. My grandma hates all cakes w/o the stairs and fountains. She cracks me up when I show her my cakes and hear her rebukes. Makes me smile everytime.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:05am
post #242 of 262

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Nananut sooooooooooooooooooooooo true!!!!!!

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:08am
post #243 of 262

Well, I am Mexican (I don't look it, but there's enough in me to get a college scholarship)...so maybe I should go with this 80's theme!

Which bridesmaid look do you guys like better?
LL
LL

debster Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:15am
post #244 of 262

amia 10 24 STOP !!!!!!! I just laughed so hard I spit on the computer screen people think i'm loosing it here. My daughter was in a wedding with the different colored dresses with the sleeves so poofed it was hilarious. Those gold ones are killing me here. WOW!!!!!

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:31am
post #245 of 262

Well, I agree that the fountains & stairs are a little outdated, but they are coming back believe it or not. I have been getting more & more requests for them lately. Even Bronwen Weber is having them for her wedding cake! (I heard it from her directly during a class I took).

I have to say though.........I got married a little over two years ago before I started doing cakes & didn't know what was "in" or "out" as far as style goes. I had a three tier cake, with a fountain underneath & two side cakes with stairs leading to them! I saw a cake like that when I was a little girl & to me....it was the most important part of my wedding (other than the groom!). Yes, even more important to me than the dress! I even told my mother that I didn't care what went wrong as long as I got that cake! I had always dreamed of a cake just like the one I saw when I was little & that's exactly what I got! To be honest, I had dreamed of that darn cake for so long that I'm glad I never got into the cake business until after we were married. It probably would have ruined a lifetime of day dreams & one of the most special parts of my wedding if I had known any better. I'd much rather have a cake that is sentimental & means something to me than just another stylish design. (No offense to all the stylish cakes out there - I love em!) Funny how everything worked out in the order it did!
LL

debster Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 6:02am
post #246 of 262

Lovely cake, I say there is something about every cake no matter what year it was done in or how it looks that I like. I even like something about some of the retro ones and I don't like retro. I like "some" of the topsy turveys even. I love the fountains, but I still don't get the stairs where are they going and what are they for? icon_surprised.gif JMO

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 6:40am
post #247 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

Lovely cake, I say there is something about every cake no matter what year it was done in or how it looks that I like. I even like something about some of the retro ones and I don't like retro. I like "some" of the topsy turveys even. I love the fountains, but I still don't get the stairs where are they going and what are they for? icon_surprised.gif JMO

Thanks! Yeah....I don't know about the stairs, I just liked the way they looked. Here's a guess...... maybe when people used to always have the bride & groom figures on top, it was supposed to look like they each climbed up a set of stairs & met at the top. Just a guess????

krispy1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krispy1976 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 7:16am
post #248 of 262

I kinda like them with new designs...But then again, I have always been fond of them, just not the stairs!
LL

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 8:54am
post #249 of 262

Okay Okay! I am Mexican AND in San Antonio! I do hate seeing the all of the ruffle, fountain, stairs and girls and boys on the cake all at once but I do like the fountain as well. There, I've said it. Glad to hear about Bronwen's opinion and krispy AZCakegirl, as well thumbs_up.gif
My two nieces cakes had fountains ( I made them and we all designed the cakes together) We loved them. I know I don't get the best response/ cake comments on CC icon_cry.gif Is this why that's so? icon_razz.gif
LL
LL

debster Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:51pm
post #250 of 262

I like those fountains and cakes nice work thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
Krispy.... how did you do those leaves? I love fall cakes.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 6:34pm
post #251 of 262

What is that "pink crystal" cake? It looks sparkly?

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 8:04pm
post #252 of 262

The pink crystal cake is cut to look like a big slice has been taken and jewels are pouring out. I got the idea from a Colette Peters book, but modified it to my niece's liking. It's cut, covered in fondant. The "outside" is covered in sanding sugar and the pink " inside" has rock candy glued w/ piping gel. icon_smile.gif

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 7:06pm
post #253 of 262

Oh my, oh my!! I grew up across the street from a church, in the 80's. Every weekend, we would wait for the limos to drive around the block, tooting its horn and we would run out. We would see these pastel-colored poufs with big hair sashaying (sp?) around the garden, we thought they were gorgeous. Thinking back, some of them were hideous!!

Also, my sister got married carrying probably 20 lbs of flowers, with long ribbons hanging down, what's up with that???

With the cakes, I also never liked all the plastic, I especially hate really cheap-looking "silk" flowers. Sometimes, the cake would look better without anything.

I guess, we all think that what is "in" NOW is beautiful, the moment the styles change, our tastes change?

taartenmaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taartenmaker Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 4:20pm
post #254 of 262

I just love the traditional old school wedding cakes, I think its way better than just a plain 3 tiered cake with a few ribbons on it

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 8:36pm
post #255 of 262

I'm from England and I never saw cakes like these in my life until I came to CC!

taartenmaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taartenmaker Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 9:15pm
post #256 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

I'm from England and I never saw cakes like these in my life until I came to CC!

Well actually.. Me too lol!!

And I love them and I want to introduce them here in the Netherlandsicon_biggrin.gif

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 11:41pm
post #257 of 262

This thread is hilarious.  I have to say ditto to the tuck n ruffle, basketweave, plastic stairs and fountains. 

I also have to say ditto to IndyDeb that we will look back and laugh at the topsy turvy cakes. 

I'm totally over the zebra stripe/hot pink combination too.  I cringe now when people ask for it...especially for baby showers!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 8 Apr 2013 , 11:50pm
post #258 of 262

I'll be happy when the cake Gods ban all character cakes and anything that has been Pinned more than 5 times.

Spireite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spireite Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 9:04am
post #259 of 262

During the reading of this thread I had to google for Tuk n Ruffle to see what it actually was!

In the UK the only cakes with bridges and going for the WOW factor that I've seen are on the TV programme "Big Fat Gypsy Weddings"

Peanut66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peanut66 Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 8:38am
post #260 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spireite 

During the reading of this thread I had to google for Tuk n Ruffle to see what it actually was!

In the UK the only cakes with bridges and going for the WOW factor that I've seen are on the TV programme "Big Fat Gypsy Weddings"

I'm in England too and I also googled Tuk n Ruffle- it reminded me of one of those trimmed tissue/toilet roll holders grannys used to have LOL. I agree re the "Big Fat Gypsy Wedding" programme, can't wait for the new one about to start.

In the UK traditional wedding cakes were always fruit cakes complete with marzipan and royal icing. I'll try to find my pictures. I did'nt even eat any of mine cos i hate fruit cake LOL

Spireite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spireite Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 10:56am
post #261 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut66 
In the UK traditional wedding cakes were always fruit cakes complete with marzipan and royal icing. I'll try to find my pictures. I did'nt even eat any of mine cos i hate fruit cake LOL

Hi peanut, I had a totally traditional UK wedding cake in 1999, 3 tiers of (home made) rich fruit cake complete with marzipan and RI.  I didn't care how it looked overall; my dream was just for columns and sharp Bright White icing that you have to suck to melt in your mouth~ or crack a tooth on.  I just laughed when the cake icer asked me my colour scheme.  Lilac/cornflower blue bridesmaids, with the men in silver, gold and navy. Lots of white flowers. Cream stationery....I just picked what I liked and went with the flow.

Fruit cake IS my favourite. icon_biggrin.gif

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 3:23pm
post #262 of 262

AYou might be able to see my old school 2002 wedding cake, complete with royal icing. I did at least get a stand instead of the pillars!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%