Which Fondant Do You Prefer?

Decorating By bizatchgirl Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 2:44am by snarkybaker

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:57am
post #1 of 23

I have only used Wilton fondant and I know it tastes awful. I don't know which fondant to try next. Which ones taste the best? Which ones are easiest to use?

22 replies
edith123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edith123 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:04am
post #2 of 23

I think mmf it's the best, at least it is for me, I love making it and the taste it's delicious and so easy to work with. I hope this helps. thumbs_up.gif

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:05am
post #3 of 23

I love mmf! However, Choco-Pan is my absolute favorite! It's not always practical, due to costs, but it is delicious! It is a bit fragile and takes some getting used to, but the taste is the best ever!

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:07am
post #4 of 23

Rhonda's Ultimate MMF is great. I started using my KA to make and it whips up in minutes and I can add the color as it goes.

Plus it cost less than bought. Especially if you don't use it a lot.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:15am
post #5 of 23

I like LaWanda's white chocolate fondant. It tastes great and is pretty easy to work with.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:16am
post #6 of 23

I make my own fondant with white chocolate. I like the taste and so do my customers. I do not like MMF but I also dislike marshmallows!

I have used Satin Ice and Pettinice and either one tastes good.

bizatchgirl Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:17am
post #7 of 23

If I don't have a KA can I make my own fondant or will it be a PITA?

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:20am
post #8 of 23

I like Satin ice, it's very easy to work with and taste good

bizatchgirl Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:21am
post #9 of 23

Does Satin Ice come in a powder and you add stuff to it or is it entirely premade?

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:43am
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizatchgirl

If I don't have a KA can I make my own fondant or will it be a PITA?

I don't use my KA for making the MMF. All you need is your microwave and some elbow grease, once you get the hang of it ( after one time for me, and I'm no genius) it's a piece of cake icon_wink.gif I love to be able to whip it up whenever needed, it keeps great in the fridge, and oh so versatile

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:44am
post #11 of 23

Satin Ice is premade & ready to roll icon_smile.gif That's what I use most of the time & I use it when I teach my fondant classes. At home I also use MMF which I love too.

You don't need a mixer to make MMF. Just knead it with your hands. I don't like the mess it makes in my KA so I just knead it. Takes the same amout of time~ Approx 20 min from start to finish~ thumbs_up.gif

SweetHeather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetHeather Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:45am
post #12 of 23

You don't need a KA to make MMF. I love Fondx. That's my favorite.

raquel1 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:48am
post #13 of 23

[quote="Denise"]I make my own fondant with white chocolate. I like the taste and so do my customers.
Denise: would you share your recipe for the white chocolate fondant. I've heard of it and would like to try it, is it difficult to make? The only other person I know declined very politely when I asked how she made it icon_sad.gif
[email protected]

miny Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:57am
post #14 of 23

I second raquel1, please denise!!!! (on knees) share your recipe for chocolate fondant, please, please, please, can you PM it ? Thanks. icon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

shanacoleman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanacoleman Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:00am
post #15 of 23

Do you have to refrigerate mmf?

osorio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
osorio Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:02am
post #16 of 23

I have to make my own fondant because where I live (Mexico City) Satin Ice and Pettinice fondants are very expensive. I have worked with both of them and I liked them very much. I have also tried MMF and I like it a lot.

raquel1 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:11am
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanacoleman

Do you have to refrigerate mmf?

Only if you're not going to use it or the leftovers for a while. I keep mine out (well covered with crisco and plastic wrap) if I'm going to use within a week, but any longer I refrigerate it and just put it out the day before I need it. If you wrap it well it keeps for a looong time

miny Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:28am
post #18 of 23

Osorio where do you get your satin ice in Mexico? icon_confused.gif

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:37am
post #19 of 23

Make sure you let it sit overnight before you use it. This helps it set up.

miny Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:40am
post #20 of 23

[quote="osorio"]I have to make my own fondant because where I live (Mexico City) Satin Ice and Pettinice fondants are very expensive. /quote]

I'm from Mexico City and it'll be great if I can get some SI to make a cake for my family when I visit. BTW saw your pics and your cakes are beautiful! thumbs_up.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 6:08am
post #21 of 23

Well, I've used Michele Foster's and MMF right off the hop, and they've both been amazing. Michele Foster's is buttery good, but MMF is more kid-friendly and fewer ingredients to make. Ultimately both are WAY cheaper to make yourself, and both have been made in the KA from others (I LOVE MMF in my hands, but Michele Foster's is a Start in the KA and finish in the hands, and I AM a hands'on person and need to feel it before I put it on a cake!!!). I refuse to buy because of cost alone, and then there is always the taste!!!

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 7:41pm
post #22 of 23

Satin Ice - tastes good, works very easily, no problems.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:44am
post #23 of 23

We use Massa Tacino. They have a "tropique" version that is easier to work with in extreme heat, and that can make all the difference on a carved cake in the summer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%