How To Start A Home Based Cake Business In Al?

Business By DEE5 Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 1:28am by poshcakedesigns

DEE5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEE5 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:48am
post #1 of 6

HELLO EVERYONE,
I'M NEW TO THE FORUM AND BUSINESS. I READ SOMEONE'S POST ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO GET A LICENSE IN ALABAMA FOR A HOME CAKE BUSINESS. I WOULD LIKE TO START A CAKE BUSINESS IN ALABAMA BUT DEFINITELY CAN'T AFFORD TO RENT A BUILDING. ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR GETTING STARTED WITHOUT A LICENSE FOR THE HOME? THANK YOU SO MUCH

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 6

Any sales from home would be illegal. You also will not be able to get insurance.

It is a risk many take, but you can be fined and shut down if you are caught, or an unhappy customer reports you.

DEE5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEE5 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the information. I think I'll just adopt a youth organization to bake and decorate cakes for free! icon_smile.gif I'll get to do what I love and make kids happy at the same time! Thank you for your response. Happy Baking everybody!

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:04am
post #4 of 6

Nope not legal to do from home in Al icon_sad.gif

You can check with local restaurants that close early, churches and see if they would be willing to rent you space. You can offer to rent by the hour or month.

It's less expensive to start this way and is a good way to test the waters and the overhead is lower than just out right trying to open a shop.

steddy1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steddy1974 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 6

I would love some information on renting kitchen space in Alabama (the Birmingham area). Can you share a space with another caterer or baker. I would be willing to share with another baker if we did different items. I know my specialty is not cakes so I would love to share with someone who does cakes.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:28am
post #6 of 6

You can share space with another kitchen. From what I understood when I was going through the process Alabama will license only 2 seperate businesses to share a kitchen. Jefferson county seems to have more requirements than Walker county. It does vary from county to county I know that for certain, but it can be done. If you have a garage that can be closed off from your home it can be turned into a licensed kitchen also. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%