Panicking, What Should I Do?

Decorating By kymscakes Updated 21 Jun 2008 , 10:48pm by kymscakes

kymscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kymscakes Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 12

I am doing a 4 tier wedding cake this saturday, 6", 8", 10", 12". Each tier separated with 3" pillars with fresh flowers in between. I wanted each cake to be flush with the separator plate. I CAN NOT find a 6" plate! Is it going to look stupid if all the other tiers are on the same size plates and the 6" on top is on an 8" or is there somewhere that has overnight delivery???

11 replies
mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 12

I would call the people at Global sugar art. They are nice people. If they can get to you they'll tell you. Where are you located? Maybe there is a caker here that lives close to you that would let you barrow one?

kymscakes Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 12

I think I will call them, I'm in Buffalo, NY. The only decent size bakery supplier around is out of stock.

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 12

I have the same problem, so I use an 8" plate. I use the Wilton Hidden pillars, and mostly stack cakes, so I can hide the excess plate- if you can't get the 6" in time, maybe decorate the base of the 6" cake with more fresh flowers to sort of hide it?

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:17am
post #5 of 12

I have done this in a pinch and it sounds like you are in a pinch. You can either buy a 6 inch round piece of plexiglass or a 6 inch round piece of glass and glue the dividers to the bottom of it. Put the cake on a 6 inch cake board that can be attached to the clear plexiglass or glass so you can't see through it. Make sure the cake board is turned so the white is visible through the clear glass. Sorry, this is the best I could come up with. Good luck.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:17am
post #6 of 12

I have done similar cakes and used no plate at all (you heard me ladies) just 2 cardboards and the pillars. Stack on site of course and use a little royal at the top of the pillars. That little top tier has barely any weight to it. You may want to add any bottom border once the cake is in place. Oh, and to transport to venue, just set it on a ugly ol' cardboard round so you can move it.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:38am
post #7 of 12

I was actually going to suggest a cross between what AlamoSweets suggested and what Kory suggested. Why not use a cake board cut to the correct size and hot glue the pieces to its bottom to use with the pillars?

Just an idea.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 12

wonder why they don't keep more 6 inch seperator plates ????

just for info to you guys about Wilton..

I was in a cake shop not to long ago... EVEN Wiltons fountains and things are being discontinued...
I heard people that had just bought their fountains can't get parts for them because they are discontinuing that line of stuff... pillars...cake systems....fountains... I know a few people fuming over spending a ton of money on fountains and now can't get parts for them icon_sad.gif

kymscakes Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:54pm
post #9 of 12

I decided to just go with the 8" plate. I have been so busy, I just couldn't be streesed out about it anymore!!! The cake is done, ready for delivery tomorrow, it turned out so pretty I don't think anyone will notice, especially once the flowers are in place.
I do have one more question, the bride bought me a big ole' Lennox cake topper, should I place a support under that too or just set it on the cake?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:56pm
post #10 of 12

For sure, it's done all the time. Umm, foamcore board is my weapon of choice because otherwise the brown edges of the cardboard shows through more readily. I just cut it to size.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:04pm
post #11 of 12

DEFINITELY put a support under the topper!

kymscakes Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 10:48pm
post #12 of 12

Panicked for nothing....can't even tell, love how it came out! Sometimes it just makes me feel better to know the people here feel my pain!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%