Substituting Cake Flour?

Baking By gottabakenow Updated 21 Jun 2008 , 9:51pm by CocoaBlondie

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:31am
post #1 of 7

I want to make a cake that calls for cake flour. Could I substitute all purpose? TIA

icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:08pm
post #2 of 7

I googled it and found this:

Quote:
Quote:

Substitutions
For 1 cup of cake flour, substitute 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour. You also can try substituting 3/4 cup all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch for every 1 cup of cake flour called for in a recipe. To substitute cake flour for all-purpose flour, use 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour for every 1 cup all-purpose flour called for in a recipe.
If a recipe for a delicate cake, such as angel food or sponge cake, calls for cake flour, do not try substituting all-purpose flour. Such a substitution could cause the delicate cake to collapse.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 7

thanks so much! that helps a lot.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 7

I was about to post on this same topic. Does anyone know if this substitution actually works? I have 25lbs of all-purpose flour that I'd like to use to make cakes but I want them to work!

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:04pm
post #5 of 7

i substitute cake flour with a mix of allpurpose flour and cornstarch all the time (7 parts AP flour : 1 part cornstarch = cake flour)

try testing the substitution on a cake recipe and see if it works

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 7

Sweet.

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 9:51pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks, For posting this forum I always wondered about it, Just never got around to asking. There are a lot of CC recipe I want to try now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%