My Buttercream Nightmare!!

Decorating By BakerzJoy Updated 22 Jun 2008 , 12:13pm by Mike1394

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:42am
post #1 of 24

I made this "To Die For" White chocolate buttercream frosting a few months ago. So, I made it again today but I had to make x' 5 because it will frost a wedding cake and grooms cake.
One problem, it tastes too much like butter this time!!
Maybe I should have omitted some of the butter because I was making so much at one time. Now I have 15 cups of frosting that tastes like butter.
What can I do to tone the butter taste down?? I can't waste it, I HAVE to use it.
I already added about a pound of Powdered sugar and it helped a little, but I need some ideas please, someone help!!

23 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:51am
post #2 of 24

Not sure what exactly you used in the recipe. Salted or unsalted butter? Chocolate type? All butter? Or 50/50 butter/shortening?

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:53am
post #3 of 24

have you tried adding a flavoring of some kind.. maybe some vanilla?? You could take some of the icing out and experiment with it. Maybe some almond??? I'm kinda stumped too...

calling all experts here!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:00am
post #4 of 24

I would try adding in more melted chocolate and see if that helps.

BakerzJoy Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:02am
post #5 of 24

The recipe calls for
5 egg whites
1 cup of sugar
1/4 cup water
3 butter sticks at room temp.
4 oz. white chocolate

Boil sugar and water to soft ball stage.
Beat egg whites to stiff peaks, add boiled sugar slowly to fluffed egg whites.
Add butter in small amounts to mixture until it's smooth.
Add white chocolate.

I did this recipe x5 so the butter was over powering!
Based on this what do you guys think??

mcdonald Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:07am
post #6 of 24

I think adding more white chocolate is a good idea too.... do you have any there that you can try it? I would add it to part of the icing so you get an idea of how much will work

BakerzJoy Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:13am
post #7 of 24

Yeah, I do have about a half a bag left. I will try it first thing tomorrow morning and see if it will help.
Thank you!

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:13am
post #8 of 24

You could try making some shortening-only buttercream, making a small batch at a time, and then mix an equal amount of the too-much-butter buttercream with it. The shortening only batch should tone down the butter.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:13am
post #9 of 24

Are you sure that recipe is correct? 3 sticks of cutter and only 1 cup of sugar? Powdered sugar? I think it should be more like 1 pound of sugar, no? I can't imagine that it would taste like anything other than butter with that much in it. Hmm......lots of PS is the only thing I can think of.

BakerzJoy Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:19am
post #10 of 24

Yeah this recipe it legit and it is awesome when you make one batch. It is light and fluffy and it's also not that sweet, but it's sweet enough to be so yummy.
I used regular sugar and I also added powdered sugar in the end when I got desperate with the butter taste.
But yeah, it calls for 1 cup of sugar!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:23am
post #11 of 24

Well there you go, learn something new every day! I'm sorry I can't help. I hope you figure it out and make a beautiful wedding cake! icon_smile.gif

BakerzJoy Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:26am
post #12 of 24

Thanks alot.
We'll figure something out eventually and it will be good! Thanks again!

mcdonald Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:04am
post #13 of 24

there are some recipes that just don't double or triple well... you have to make each batch seperately

lindy01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindy01 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:54am
post #14 of 24

when i make a buttercream, with white choco. i make the b/c up first and then i make a white choco ganache, and the beat them together, they taste fantasic together!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 9:58pm
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald

there are some recipes that just don't double or triple well... you have to make each batch seperately

That is why I don't like math!! icon_confused.gif If you double or triple a recipe, aren't the proportions kept the same?!

I purposely went to the H.S. I did because I was only required to take two years of math. Did I mention that I hate math?!

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 10:21pm
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald

I think adding more white chocolate is a good idea too.... do you have any there that you can try it? I would add it to part of the icing so you get an idea of how much will work

I agree. When I make White Chocolate Buttercream, I add equal amounts of butter and white chocolate. At least that's what the recipe calls for. I always add more white chocolate because I like it so much.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 10:36pm
post #17 of 24

First this is a IMBC Right?

They don't double well I don't think... plus... the powdered sugar.. was this just a last resort.. because I hadn't heard of adding powdered sugar to IMBC

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 10:50pm
post #18 of 24

Maybe some lemon juice? It might cut the richness a bit.

Nick Malgieri's buttercream has approx the same qty of egg whites, butter etc. and the flavoring section of the recipe says you can add up to 1/3 C fresh strained lemon juice - try a little at a time.

I've also added lemon curd to buttercream.

Good luck!

BakerzJoy Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 4:39am
post #19 of 24

Thanks everyone for your advice. You helped me out alot! I ended up adding more white chocolate and added some powdered sugar, even though the recipe didn't call for it. It turned out great! I was surprised!! But, I have learned to NEVER double or triple buttercream again...it apparently dosen't do well!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 9:50am
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerzJoy

Thanks everyone for your advice. You helped me out alot! I ended up adding more white chocolate and added some powdered sugar, even though the recipe didn't call for it. It turned out great! I was surprised!! But, I have learned to NEVER double or triple buttercream again...it apparently dosen't do well!

They triple, quad, what ever just fine. I did two batches of triple IMBC yesterday.

Mike

wgoat5 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 11:36am
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:

They triple, quad, what ever just fine. I did two batches of triple IMBC yesterday.

Mike

I have to say... SOME recipes of IMBC or SMBC do NOT double/triple well...

Mike1394 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 11:46am
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:

Mike

I have to say... SOME recipes of IMBC or SMBC do NOT double/triple well...

A traditional SMBC is a 1#, 2#, 3# measurement. I think alot of issues come up when using cups for measurement. I'll get my IMBC recipe, and post it. I have to roll my fat butt upstairs first though.

Mike

wgoat5 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 11:50am
post #23 of 24

LOL well you get your fat butt upstairs and I'll remove my fat butt off this couch LMAO

Mike1394 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:13pm
post #24 of 24

The IMBC I use is:
8 oz sugar
2 oz water
4 oz egg whites
8 oz butter
2 oz emulsified shortening.

I add my flavoring to the butter/shortening.

This recipe comes from Wayne Gisslen "Professional Baking"

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%