Your Best Kept Secret...

Decorating By ChristianCakeBaker Updated 13 Dec 2008 , 3:32am by taygetta

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:02pm
post #31 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babarooskie

I notice that most of you put coffee creamer in your batter. I've read that on here...However, when I went to my local grocery store, the only flavors they carry are hazelnut, regular, and irish cream.

Where else can I get a variety of creamer flavors??

There are alot of varieties in liquid creamers. They will be near the milk.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:03pm
post #32 of 163

CC is also my best kept secret. People ask where I get my ideas, and I just say "Oh, books, and mags, and people I chat with". I won't give it up!!!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:16pm
post #33 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutie

Also, another secret is that I NEVER NEVER NEVER use aspartame (Equal) or SPLENDA (both are very, very, very dangerous) in any of my foods and will not allow them to be served wherever there is food that I have prepared. My contract even states that these two items will not be served. If someone is diabetic, I tell them they should not eat my cakes, etc. Now, do not get all over me about this... I refuse to knowingly poison someone with killers, as I have too many who are in my family who have been hurt by this. The two above substitutes are poisonous, and if they still insist, I will provide a substitute for them. . Sweet 'n Low is available, as it is not as toxic, but they have to initial on the contract that they are fully responsible and leave no liability on me whatsoever if I serve the Sweet 'N Low.

Did you know that Sweet n low is banned in Canada. It was on the ban list here, but there was to big of an uproar. The aspartame I agree with you. Splenda is made by surrounding the sugar molecule with chlorine molecules. So Splenda is chlorinated sugar. Just like chlorinated water.

Mike

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:19pm
post #34 of 163

I am with MessyBaker!!!! I buy everything from Sams and Wal-Mart except for their meat. Our Wal-Mart meat dept. normally has good looking stuff, but I find them to be priced high...so I just shop at the other stores for the specials. Just to give you an idea......Walmart is about $1-2 cheaper on cake mix ALONE....when you are buying several boxes it can really add up to a substantial savings. Please educate me on the values and where you do your shopping!!!!!

Mike1394 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:19pm
post #35 of 163

Biggest secret you say. Ok here goes, Oh wait, there is that stuate of limitations thing. I tell you in about 1 yr three months, and 11 days. icon_biggrin.gif hehehehehe

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:20pm
post #36 of 163

[quote="lutie"]My secret is I never use anything other than Ghirardelli chocolate bars for my white chocolate and dark chocolate cakes... so I try to buy them when they are on sale.

Also, another secret is that I NEVER NEVER NEVER use aspartame (Equal) or SPLENDA (both are very, very, very dangerous) in any of my foods and will not allow them to be served wherever there is food that I have prepared. [quote]

I too use Ghirardelli dark chocolate but love Lindt white chocolate. Expensive but you can really tell a huge difference in flavors!

My big secret for diabetic foods is Whey Low. It's an all-natural sugar replacement that bakes up just like regular sugar. They even carry brown sugar and powdered sugar (but I haven't tried those yet).

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:26pm
post #37 of 163

I think I have to agree that this site is invaluable... I just freak out if it isn't up and working!! I use it for recipes, ideas and for help!! I think I am going to see if I can claim it as a dependent on my taxes next year...

One thing I learned from here is that as soon as the cake comes out of the oven, I lay a piece of saran over the top and flip it over on a big cookie sheet or a cutting board .. some flat surface and then I sit a full coke bottle on it, or a can of shortening and just let it sit on it while the cake is cooling. I have NEVER NEVER NEVER had to level a cake since I started this. They turn out perfect everytime. I always make tall layers so the cake is almost always at the top or somewhat above it. Then I drop it out of the pan after a short bit, wrap it up while still warm and in the freezer it goes til ready for use!! Cake is always level (sometimes I can't even tell which is the top and which is the bottom) and always moist!!

There ya go.... which I could remember who to thank for this...

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:32pm
post #38 of 163

One thing I learned from here is that as soon as the cake comes out of the oven, I lay a piece of saran over the top and flip it over on a big cookie sheet or a cutting board .. some flat surface and then I sit a full coke bottle on it, or a can of shortening and just let it sit on it while the cake is cooling. I have NEVER NEVER NEVER had to level a cake since I started this. They turn out perfect everytime. I always make tall layers so the cake is almost always at the top or somewhat above it. Then I drop it out of the pan after a short bit, wrap it up while still warm and in the freezer it goes til ready for use!! Cake is always level (sometimes I can't even tell which is the top and which is the bottom) and always moist!!

How full do you fill your cake pans when you use this method? I can't wait to try it!

Becca

aswartzw Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:33pm
post #39 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Did you know that Sweet n low is banned in Canada. It was on the ban list here, but there was to big of an uproar. The aspartame I agree with you. Splenda is made by surrounding the sugar molecule with chlorine molecules. So Splenda is chlorinated sugar. Just like chlorinated water.

Mike

Both Splenda and chlorinated water are bad for you. Chlorine is a poison and causes adverse health affects. A little chlorine kills the bad stuff but too much chlorine is in our drinking water. Not only drinking it is bad but our skin absorbs it when showering, washing hands, etc. And, no, your Brita filter does not filter it out. Only reverse osmosis systems will. OK, enough chemistry for the day. thumbs_up.gif

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:36pm
post #40 of 163

I usually go at LEAST 1/2 full if not 3/4 full. I make a tall cake because of this. I just like the way it looks. I always like a bit more cake to compliment the layers of icing, instead of everyone scraping off the icing and leaving it on the plate because there wasn't enough cake to go with it!!!

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:47pm
post #41 of 163

Thanks! I like tall cakes too. I'll give it a try.

Becca

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:51pm
post #42 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by abslu

My main secret, keep the music going while you bake and decorate. It's harder to get frusterated when completely jamming out to your favorite tunes!

Great tip - hard on the family when pulling a cake decorating "all-nighter", but definitely a good tip!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:02pm
post #43 of 163

~ Glycerine! Add 1 T to MMF for pliability. (Can sub corn syrup, but it's a bit stickier).

~ Another MMF tip: I get weird results with Jet Puffed MM's, so I stick to Wal Mart brand MM's and PS because different brands act differently. (And Wal Mart is the least expensive).

~ I fill my pans 3/4 full - I always use the basic WASC recipe for any flavor cake. (Bake Even strips). Cover in Saran and place in fridge while still in the pan after barely cooled. Level by using the pan as a guide for the knife.

~ I roll out my fondant on large parchment paper sheets that I buy at Smart&Final for around $5. No corn starch or PS needed - easy clean-up!

~ I stock up on foam core board when it's on sale at Michael's for $1. I don't cover them with foil or anything, just a strip of fondant around the base of the cake. They hold up great and you can cut several circles out of them--or any shape, for that matter! (I wrap the edge with ribbon).

~ Black MMF: add 3 T cocoa powder and a jar of Wilton black (not Americolor), stir before adding the PS.

~ For carved cakes, add 6 oz melted chocolate to the cake batter (WASC = 12oz as it uses 2 cake mixes).

My two cents: Splenda is the safest artificial sweetener on the market as Sucralose is the only artificial sweetener ranked as "safe" by the consumer advocacy group Center for Science in the Public Interest.

Sweet n' Low is the least safest (saccharin). In 1972, the USDA made an attempt to completely ban the substance from being used in anything, as Canada has.

aswartzw Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:32pm
post #44 of 163

Here's the link to whey low. As it is a completely natural alternative to regular sugar, I love it.

http://www.wheylow.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y

Mike1394 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:00pm
post #45 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Here's the link to whey low. As it is a completely natural alternative to regular sugar, I love it.

Very cool Tks for the link.

Mike

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:35pm
post #46 of 163

My husband's grandmother and grandfather died within 11 months of each other, both from bladder cancer. My husband's father was diagnosed with bladder cancer but it was caught in time to treat.

The common denominator? Saccarin/Sweet n Low

I only have pure sugar in my house. icon_biggrin.gif Can't stand the fake stuff. thumbsdown.gif

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:08pm
post #47 of 163

Like alot of the others have said, CC is my utmost total secret. I LOVE this site. Reading this thread, I've learned a few more secrets thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif
Karen

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:39pm
post #48 of 163

I don't like sweet n low .... don't like anything like that in fact...

won't let my kids eat the stuff and I don't serve it

(but that is just my feelings.. I have nothing against people that do.. just feel it's not safe)

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:25pm
post #49 of 163

yes in our house we don't have any sugar substitutes, except stevia. it is sooo bad for you you wouldn't believe it.

CakeMommy82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy82 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:28pm
post #50 of 163

I would have to say that as a beginner, this website takes the cake (no pun intended) for my best kept secret!!

icon_smile.gif

aswartzw Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:45pm
post #51 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Very cool Tks for the link.

Mike

No problem! It's a bit expensive and hard to get but definitely worth it. thumbs_up.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 7:03pm
post #52 of 163

About the sweet & low/Equal and splenda.....all that is that bad for you? Because we are drinking sugar free fruit punches like crazy in this house and my girls put splenda on their Cheerios instead of real sugar. What am I going to do? I have 3 girls, all built like me ( read: big belly icon_smile.gif ) and am trying to impart healthier eating habits.

I realize fresh fruits and vegetables are better choices but what are we supposed to drink? My kids can't drink just water (it gets boring, even for me) and fresh juice is pricey, soda is cr*p, milk isn't very refreshing in 100 degree weather......HELP!

Sorry to hijack thread...

Here are my best secrets:

1.) The microwave is MMF's best friend.
2.) I would be lost without my freezer to place each cake layer in (to help icing set up, etc.)
3.) I use airbrush colors for darn near everything
4.) Any chocolate cake recipe calling for water is replaced with strong coffee with a tsp. of instant espresso.
5.) I learned these all here at CC icon_smile.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 7:15pm
post #53 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedecoratingsmything

yes in our house we don't have any sugar substitutes, except stevia. it is sooo bad for you you wouldn't believe it.

I can't get past the Stevia aftertaste in most things... but I do add it to sorbet, and you can't really tell. Date sugar is another substitute I use in baking, but will be placing an order for Whey Sugar soon, I've never even heard of it before! icon_smile.gif

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 7:18pm
post #54 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedecoratingsmything

I can't get past the Stevia aftertaste in most things... but I do add it to sorbet, and you can't really tell. Date sugar is another substitute I use in baking, but will be placing an order for Whey Sugar soon, I've never even heard of it before! icon_smile.gif

I don't bake or do anything with stevia, my father just uses it sometimes. I can't stand the aftertaste either. icon_wink.gif

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 7:28pm
post #55 of 163

I can't think of a secret I have at the moment, but I have to chime in on the artificial sweetener info.

Aspartame is my migraine trigger -- a diet drink can literally send me to the hospital in need of a shot. There have been several times that I have consumed products that I did not know had an artificial sweetener and had a severe migraine. One, for example, pasta salad at a church luncheon! Please, please, please don't use it -- or Splenda (it has it's own set of problems!!!!) -- unless you fully disclose the fact that it has been used.

feliciangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feliciangel Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 7:51pm
post #56 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

About the sweet & low/Equal and splenda.....all that is that bad for you? Because we are drinking sugar free fruit punches like crazy in this house and my girls put splenda on their Cheerios instead of real sugar. What am I going to do? I have 3 girls, all built like me ( read: big belly icon_smile.gif ) and am trying to impart healthier eating habits.

I realize fresh fruits and vegetables are better choices but what are we supposed to drink? My kids can't drink just water (it gets boring, even for me) and fresh juice is pricey, soda is cr*p, milk isn't very refreshing in 100 degree weather......HELP!

Sorry to hijack thread...

Here are my best secrets:

1.) The microwave is MMF's best friend.
2.) I would be lost without my freezer to place each cake layer in (to help icing set up, etc.)
3.) I use for darn near everything
4.) Any chocolate cake recipe calling for water is replaced with strong coffee with a tsp. of instant espresso.
5.) I learned these all here at CC icon_smile.gif

I've been looking into new things to drink for your exact same reasons and aquas frescas are my new best friend here one that sounds good

Agua de Sandía (Watermelon Water)

2 cups diced seedless watermelon, with rind removed
6 cups water
1/2 cup sugar (or to taste)

Place one cup diced watermelon in blender, along with two cups of the water. Blend until liquified. Pour into a pitcher. Place remaining cup of watermelon in blender, along with two more cups water. Blend thoroughly and pour into pitcher. Add remaining two cups of water and sugar. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Chill thoroughly before serving. Pour into tall, ice-filled glasses and serve.

basically you could change the flavors with different fruits like mangoes and strawberries

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 8:08pm
post #57 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcopeland

My husband's grandmother and grandfather died within 11 months of each other, both from bladder cancer. My husband's father was diagnosed with bladder cancer but it was caught in time to treat.

The common denominator? Saccarin/Sweet n Low

I only have pure sugar in my house. icon_biggrin.gif Can't stand the fake stuff. thumbsdown.gif

Please don't take this as me being disrespectful of your husbands' loved ones having cancer. I can't imagine having so many close family members stricken with the disease. I just wonder how it's possible that saccharin is the only common denominator.

I'm not encouraging you to use it. As far as I know, there are no health benefits to it, and the risks are not clear, so it's not a bad idea to avoid it. I just think it's dangerous when people make sweeping generalizations like that and ignore other possibilities. It seems like there would have been common habits and environmental exposures at some point at least, in addition to the obvious common genetics.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 10:21pm
post #58 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

I realize fresh fruits and vegetables are better choices but what are we supposed to drink? My kids can't drink just water (it gets boring, even for me) and fresh juice is pricey, soda is cr*p, milk isn't very refreshing in 100 degree weather......HELP! icon_smile.gif

It's fine. If you look up info yourself you'll find all sorts of pros and cons, but realize that even saccharin would have to be consumed in extremely disproportionate amounts to have the same cancerous effect as it did in rats.

The Splenda study that discovered some DNA damage in rodents was equal to 10,000 packets per day for the 150 lb person.

I can't fathom drinking even 10 cans of a diet drink in a day, so I am not worried about it.

Some people have reactions to artificial sweeteners (like headaches and migraines) but that is simply a side-effect like sleepiness is a side-effect of Benadryl.

If you live an otherwise healthy lifestyle especially, you are already taking steps to prevent cancer and other degenerative diseases. That's where the focus should be--overall health. For me, I'm better off drinking a zero calorie beverage than adding that 150+ extra calories to my diet.

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 10:46pm
post #59 of 163

I have to agree with a lot of you that my best kept secret is CC. I have learned so much on here, and if I have a question or problem, I know I can always post it and someone with always reply with help. Also, I always freeze my cakes as soon as they cool. I really believe that it seals in the moisture. I get many comments on how moist & fresh my cakes are. Also my BC recipe, always use French Vanilla creamer and creme bouquet plus other flavorings and have had so many compliments on the taste. Thanks to everyone here on CC for all the sharing, I would never have gotten back into cake decorating if it were not for this site as I had not done it for 8 years and things have really changed in that time. Love working with MMF!

gabbycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbycakes Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 10:50pm
post #60 of 163

aswartzw--

I am glad to know the Whey Low bakes just like regular sugar--I had wondered about that. I have all 3 but have only used the brown sugar (in my oatmeal!).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%