How To Paint On Fondant?

Decorating By joy5678 Updated 1 Jul 2008 , 10:53pm by mjballinger

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:41am
post #1 of 15

I am soooo ready to learn more techniques that no one else in my area provides. Is anyone familiar with the one stroke method of painting and have you applied it to cakes? I would love to hear from you & how you learned to use this method. Does painting work well on cakes & would people really want this medium? How long did it take you to learn & from who did you learn? Self, teacher? Just a few things I am wondering about so I can (or cannot) start this learning process. Thanks so much for your input.

14 replies
Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 6:53am
post #2 of 15

Not sure what the one stroke method is...?

joy5678 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 15

There is a book, video etc. that explains how to paint by putting different colors on one paint brush therefore you only have to do one stroke to make something. I don't know her name, but if I can learn to do that on paper, I'm wondering if anyone uses that technique on cakes & how does it work. I want any advice on cake painting that I can get from others who have done this.

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 15

not sure about painting on fondant with it, but the regular paint one stroke method is done by Donna Dewberry. I don't know it myself, I just remember the name. I'd love to know how to do this on fondant myself.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:02am
post #5 of 15

Well what is it that you want to paint on Fondant ?
Like portraits or just floral ? Floral can be easy if you are not copying a specific design. With free hand painting, you can go any directions you want. when I did this, I just kind of did what I would do if I was in Kindergarten. It's not that hard, as longas you are not painting something like Michael Angelo painting..
LL

CheriN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CheriN Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:28am
post #6 of 15

This makes me think of Tole painting where you put a couple of colors on the same brush and then do strokes with those colors to make flowers and such... I am not sure if that is what you are thinking of or not. I took a tole painting class when I was in high school it was fairly easy. Here is an example of it:
http://www.tole-expressions.com/tutorials/one_stroke_roses.html
If that is what you are talking about... then I would search tole painting on the internet to find the materials you want. I hope the helps! Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:01am
post #7 of 15

i have been taking one stroke painting for 3 years... i was first introduced to it at an ices convention.... so i started taking lessons at michaels... have gone to some paint camps through the donna dewberry teachings... anyway... i use it to paint on cookies that are covered in fondant.... i have taught it in our cake club here... i want to enter a cake this year in our cake show in pineville, nc. using his method.... still thinking on it..... they don,t teach it at michaels anymore... so i go to this ladys house twice a month ..... she is really good.... i use the americolor gels.... you mix it with the white blending gel.... and paint... i also learn by buying donna dewberrys books and videos... it really helps.... but i do like to go and do hands on with a teacher.... the teaching guides are great too. i have never painted anything until i took this up... i really love playing at it... it gets you in another world... laure'l silverburg.... if i have spelled it right.... is the one that introduced it at the ices convention.... that web site is . thesweetpallete.com..... julie motley is also in with her in this business. hth

joy5678 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:09am
post #8 of 15

Icer, this is exactly what I'm talking about. icon_lol.gif The floral purse is great! thumbs_up.gif I would like to do florals,& nature scenes, cartoons, kids stuff & who knows what else?? Anything I can, I guess... this is kinda like tole painting. I'm gonna get the gel paints & start practicing. I believe Michaels has the book. Thank you all for your help. Will also ask around to see if I can find a hands on teacher. I need the visual.

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:17am
post #9 of 15

Here's a link to some info on chef Laure'l Silverberg. From what she said she' started this with the help of Donna Dewberry. I believe she's featured in this month's ACD for her gelatin flowers

http://www.onestroke.biz/tsp.htm

(The link to the Sweet Pallet is not working.)

MegWinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MegWinn Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:39am
post #10 of 15

icer101 - what is "white blending gel?" These are such great insights...I have been wanting to test my hand at painting on fondant but have been reluctant due to the lack of concrete information on the internet and books. Knowing what kind of materials (i.e. powder vs. gel etc...) work is the big battle for me.

Dru329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dru329 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:48am
post #11 of 15

Been wanting to know how to paint on fondant myself...I have one question though...will the fondant become sticky or does it dry eventually?
I've brushed water on one of my cakes and it never dried. TYIA

joy5678 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:54pm
post #12 of 15

Dru, I'm not sure how the Americolor gels work, but I know that if you use paste or dry color it needs to be mixed with either Vodka or white vanilla (Vodka is cheaper) because the alcohol evaporates quickly & will not leave the icing sticky & wet. I used it for the first time last week & it worked beautifully.

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:11pm
post #13 of 15

I saw somewhere that One Stroke was featured in a cake decorating newletter or something this month. Any of you know anything about it? I'd love to know, but I'm not an ICES member (really need to get around to that!) and I'm not sure if that is where it was!

Thanks,
Jen

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:04pm
post #14 of 15

Jen - I just checked the June and July ICES newsletters and did not see anything - must have been another publication or an earlier issue

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 10:53pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmoser

Jen - I just checked the June and July ICES newsletters and did not see anything - must have been another publication or an earlier issue

Thank you for looking, I really appreciate it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%