Wedding Cake To Serve 65? This "planner" Is Out O

Decorating By sassycleo Updated 19 Jun 2008 , 3:05am by -K8memphis

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 8:44pm
post #31 of 70

[

They totally annoy me, tastings. If people don't know the difference between caramel and strawberry and white and chocolate far be it from me to educate them. But I mean it's expected in some areas.[/quote]

If I was planning a wedding or other large event, I wouldn't order a cake from someone who's cake I hadn't tasted. It's not about knowing the difference in flavor. It's about the quality of the cake. I would want to be sure my baker can provide my guests with a delicious cake.

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 9:14pm
post #32 of 70

Well, let me speak from both sides...my business is full service so along with the cakes, I also plan, coordinate, do flowers, favors, etc, etc.

Yes, everyone who claims to be a planner, may not be a good one. I think the OPs original issue was with her professionalism or lack thereof. As a planner, one of my BIGGEST pet peeves is when people don't call me back when they said they would. However, if I have to keep calling them to get the job done, either I'll do that or find another vendor. In this case, maybe you should have called her back and let her know that your time is valuable and you need the information when you ask for it. Two professionals should be able to communicate that way.

Not all planners know how tastings work. She may have just been asking for what the client asked for. If she doesn't know how it works, then she may not have known that she needed to get the bride to cut down on her flavor options. Just tell her and go from there.

As far as tastings, I do three flavors of cake, icing and filling. As of right now I don't charge for tastings, but I'm thinking about it. I only do them for large special occasion and wedding cakes. I do freeze cupcakes that I use for tastings because I simply don't have time to bake fresh for every tasting that I do.

I can't say that I blame people for wanting a tasting when they're going to be spending a significant amount of money on a cake. Especially if they haven't ever had your cake before or don't know anyone who has. And I don't think it's wrong for them to want to taste the exact cake they think they might want to order. Now if they wanted a tasting for a birthday cake or something, I would be annoyed but you have to just let people know what your policies and procedures are.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 9:14pm
post #33 of 70

Hey, sassycleo...You forgot the second part of the quote:

Opinions are likeâ¦â¦ everyoneâs got one (And most of them stink!) icon_lol.gif

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 9:23pm
post #34 of 70

Oh and should you charge more because the wedding is sooner? I don't think so. I just did a last minute wedding cake, was ordered like a week in advance. I just let her know that I had to be paid in full in advance and she was fine with it.

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 9:27pm
post #35 of 70

Amen to that Costumeczar!!....lol

I had asked about the rush charge because I see a lot of people talking about it on different threads so I was curious who does and doesn't and what they count as factors to do as such

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 9:31pm
post #36 of 70

It sounds like your "planner" is either inexperienced, or on crack. A "planner" with any common sense whatsoever would have nipped that list in the bud. Be careful with this one, sweetie.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 9:51pm
post #37 of 70

If you screw up and don't set a limit - you still have the opportunity to correct it.

"I apologize for not having been more specific. During the tasting, I will provide Xnumber flavor samples. Attached, please find a list of the flavors I offer. Please have the bride and groom choose the flavors they are most interested in sampling."

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 10:39pm
post #38 of 70

Good verbage Brandi!

I have been thinking about the free tastings.... I don't charge more for wedding cakes then party cakes and I offer them a 6 inch free for their anniversary and a free tasting if over 75 servings..... I think I may end up with the opposite problem of that one British comedy.... people calling it a wedding cake to get more stuff! icon_lol.gif Sure it may be a bigger cake but I make less per serving than on a party cake! HMMMMMMMM...... maybe I need to reconsider this $$ thing!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 10:51pm
post #39 of 70

First, your first post was so funny. I couldn't help but laugh when you shared what she was wanting to sample.
However, what annoys me is people on this forum bringing up past, unrelated posts and then shoving it in the OP's face. I have had this happen to me, and it is completely ridiculous.
That being said-the "planner" is taking advantage. Anyone with any common sense wouldn't order that many flavors! I would just sweetly tell her she can taste two flavors for free, and then after that, they are $X each.
Good luck with this!

sassycleo Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 11:03pm
post #40 of 70

I told her nicely *of course* :

When we spoke earlier today, I was given the impression that you would be calling this evening and we would be discussing how many flavors to have your bride and groom choose. As a custom cake designer, I bake all of my cakes fresh for each occasion. Because of that, unlike some larger bakeries, I do not have a freezer full of cakes ready for a tasting. Three flavors of cake, filling and icing will be provided for the tasting as a part of the cost of the wedding cake. Please let me know which flavors your clients will be interested in sampling.

She replied back with exactly three of each and asked *very nicely I might add* if it would be at all possible to have a fourth filling as she thought it would go very nicely with two of the selections. Now this I can deal with. One of her fillings was a flavored icing which I will just have out with the other two icings. That is WAY more manageable.

So we will see where we go from here.

The cake that I originally posted is done with a base of chocolate fondant. I've got two choices Chocopan vs Satin Ice. I haven't gotten my chocolate Satin Ice yet does anyone know how they compare against each other. I know the CP is more expensive. Since the majority of my experience is with buttercream - if I choose the more expensive fondant because of taste etc, am I able to reflect that in the price per serving?

costumeczar Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 3:53pm
post #41 of 70

You should definitely adjust your price if you're using more expensive ingredients, but why don't you try making fondant yourself? It's really easy, and if you don't do a lot of it you won't have to worry about storing the extra until you need it again. There are plenty of recipes out there that are fairly similar, and the best part is that it costs me about $8 or $9 to make enough fondant to cover an entire 4-tiered cake. It also tastes better because you avoid all of the artificial junk they have to put in to extend the shelf life and keep it from drying out.

Here's the recipe that I use, it's pretty standard:

(For a bulk amount of fondant)
8 pounds confectioner's sugar
1 2-oz bottle of food-grade glycerine (Wilton makes this size)
4 pkgs gelatin + 1 cup of cold water
1 bottle corn syrup

1. Put the sugar in a LARGE bowl
2. Soften the gelatin in the water in the top of a double boiler bowl or a metal bowl that you can put over a pan of boiling water. When it's softend, put the bowl over the boiling water and stir it gently until it's clear.
3. Add the entire bottle of corn syrup and the entire bottle of glycerine and stir until they all dissolve. Remove from the heat.
4. If you want to add optional flavoring and color to the liquid, do it now.
5. Stir the liquid into the sugar and mix it well. Knead it together at the end until you've incorporated as much sugar as you can.
6. Wrap airtight in plastic wrap and let it sit for at least 8 hours.
7. When you're ready to use it, knead it on a counter using some crisco to keep it from sticking. The texture will be crumbly at first but when you knead it for a minute it will smooth out.

For chocolate you can just add cocoa to the sugar in the bowl before you add the liquid. You can also add food coloring after it's been made, obviously.

To make this into gumpaste add 2 tsp tylose to each pound of fondant. Knead it in and wrap airtight.

Mamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamas Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 4:54pm
post #42 of 70

Is her name . . . . . . . .I suppose I shouldn't post it but this sounds eerily similar to my last disaster. Never returned phone calls, several unreasonable demands, wanted cake for $4 a serving but the website the cake picture came from listed the price at $12 a serving and then . . . and then . . . she complained about everything and wanted a practically free cake. May it not happen to you but after my experience I think I would have run away screaming but since you have stayed . . . make sure you do not compromise to the point of making yourself unhappy or bakrupt.

I agree that an experienced planner should know better. I also sypathize with your desire to try and please you customers but be warry of PITAs sometimes thats all they are and sometimes they really are out to get you.

And . . . if she thought the topic of her last post was relevaent SHE would have included it. Let her bitch and rant all she wants. Isn't that what we are here for?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 8:02pm
post #43 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

However, what annoys me is people on this forum bringing up past, unrelated posts and then shoving it in the OP's face. I have had this happen to me, and it is completely ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamas

And . . . if she thought the topic of her last post was relevaent SHE would have included it. Let her bitch and rant all she wants. Isn't that what we are here for?

Ooh, you guys mean I should not have referenced Sassy's two coronaries in one week? That's an odd custom to never reference other threads.

And no, not me, I'm definitely not here to bitch and rave. Is that what defines this board? Bitch and rave means high blood pressure and other maladies and that's an area we all should avoid no?

I get the venting and whining sometimes but just beating up another vendor because they email instead of call? They are four hours late contacting you about a cake a month away? I mean what happens when something really serious happens?

I think we should consider toning it down a bit. And nobody has to agree w/me. I gave my opinion cafeteria style take it or leave it. Leave it that's fine w/me. But it should interest someone somewhere how we are coming off here with this attitude of taking no hostages about minor business bumps that can totally completely be avoided. Go ahead, beat me up, hate me, dudes dudettes, watch your blood pressure!

Save your fight for when you really need it.

And be careful about naming names of who you are dealing with aka bitching and ranting about. The internet is a very small place and I know people and you probably do too who have literally lost their jobs ranting online.

We all have our websites attached to this open forum that anyone can access. Heads up, guys.

sassycleo Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:16am
post #44 of 70

Mamas - thank you your support is very much appreciated and welcomed.

K8Memphis - I thought I had already addressed this as you have already referred to it as the world is against me and the end is near crap.

Now I'm having a coronary? Last time I check my blood pressure was A OK - thank you for your "concern". No no coronaries here - they were questions with concern but if there was no concern then it would mean I didn't give a flying frek about it. On the contrary I do - there are also areas that honestly I haven't had to deal with to date, such as unprofessional planners. My other post had nothing to do with this one therefore honestly should never have been brought up as it doesn't contribute anything about this topic.

CC is a venue for all sorts of different things, pictures, instruction, vents/rants, and advice which can be connected with vents/rants. If you don't like it then don't read the post as I have stated before. If you don't like it then move on to the next post. What you may feel is insignificant may not be to me so if I felt I needed to post what was going on at that particular time be it something out of the "norm" or just something I haven't experienced before then so be it, I've got the right to give the details in order to get good advice in return.

Again if ya don't like it move on. I am not though just going to sit idly by and continue to be put down because of my posts. This post had to due with a. the request of the "planner" and b. the professionalism of how it was being handled. I don't name names so if someone is to come on here and views the post then so be it - it shows that I am doing my research if I am questioning someone's actions to be able to make an informed decision. It shows I care enough about the situation at hand as well. If they see it then so be it, I don't name names so at that point in time it's all assumption on their part. I don't down people, but I do have the right to question if someone is a planner or a new planner or just whether they have given themselves the title as it happens many a time.

I don't berate or belittle people over their posts no matter how trivial I may seem to think it is because I understand they feel differently. I also would expect the same consideration. So, with that all being said before this turns into an chat "arguement/fight" or whatever it maybe label I will say this - Move on already.

I had valid gripe, and question and thankfully there have been quite a few friendly people here to help me with advice and guidance and to those people I say "Thank You". To those who can't be helpful or nice - Move On!

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:38am
post #45 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassycleo

K8Memphis - I thought I had already addressed this...

You are correct. You did already address this. Clearly I was responding to the posters I quoted in the beginning of my post.

Quite the contrary I was very helpful. I understand you didn't like what I said but you asked for advice. It is valid professional advice. Tighten up your business practices and these areas will not upset you going forward. Make your own decisions in advance. There are all kinds of great and not so great people to work with out there. You need to know how to handle all kinds.

It's unsettling for you to take a planner's inventory and judge them incompetent, beneath your standard. It's unprofessional to do so in public. Did we not all start out unexperienced and much less competent than we are now? Think, Cleo!

I've been in the business a long time. I've worked for a lot of people. If the worst that is gonna happen to you is somebody returns your call four hours late by email you're really gonna be ok.

Quote:

...there are also areas that honestly I haven't had to deal with to date...What you may feel is insignificant may not be to me so if I felt I needed to post what was going on at that particular time be it something out of the "norm" or just something I haven't experienced before then so be it, I've got the right to give the details in order to get good advice in return.

So if you want the voice of experience, I'm here for yah.
If you don't like what I have to say:
1.) don't run amuck
2.) don't ask
3.) move on your own self

If I thought this was insignificant I would not put my little goitered neck out here to get chopped off. It's very significant...to you.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 3:08am
post #46 of 70

As for sizes, I'd do an 11x8x5 if they are keeping the top tier that still gives you enough servings by Wilton. I recommend that you collect the odd sized pans if you don't already have them. They are essential always and especially in light of how prices are sky rocketing on everything--you can get closer to the exact amount of servings, keep a nice graduation between tiers and save on ingredients a bit. I think Fat Daddyo's has a lot of the odd size pans.

But I tell my brides that they can serve the whole cake--they really like to hear that. I make a 4" honeymoon cake and a 4" anniversary cake as my gift to the couple. These are all boxed up and get delivered with every wedding cake that gets paid on time. If they piss me off-no gift cake for you! But I make them from scraps from where cakes get leveled & stuff. Or if there's some extra batter. It's easy to squeeze out two little four inch cakes and it's a great selling point.

But it all depends on how big your serving is of course. That's the really small Wilton one which is the one I like best.

Mamas Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 3:24am
post #47 of 70

k8memphis, I don't think anyone had a problem with you offering your sage advice I, as well as others it seems, took issue with the way in which you chose to do so. It was mean spirited. Others offered the same advice that you have and did so with gentlness, kindness and compasion. Try it. It can be just as effective. Especially when the person is receptive. Just my opinion . . .

cakecastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecastle Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:41pm
post #48 of 70
Quote:

So I just checked my email - now keep in mind a cake for 65. She sent me a picture of what they are looking for and here is the list of cakes yes I said cakes - ok so 3 flavors is what I was thinking max. The cake is going to be small if we are only serving 65.

I'm in shock at this point over this list, here it is:
Cake
Butter Pound
Cherry, Chocolate, Chocolate Decadence, Chocolate Pound, Coconut
French Vanilla, Orange Velvet
Strawberry
White, Yellow

Filling
Apricot Jam, Bavarian Cream, Buttercream
Chocolate Cream, Lemon Curd, Lime Curd
Orange Curd, Pastry Cream, Pineapple Curd
Raspberry Cream, Raspberry Preserves, Strawberry Cream

Icings: They would like to try your "Rolled Fondant", Regular Fondant and Chocolate Fondant, Butter Cream and Ganache Glaze.

Who on earth offers this many flavors to taste???? I'm going to loose more money over the tasting then I am going to make in doing this cake.

I think someone has been watching too many episodes of Grey's Anatomy! If any of you watch too, remember all those cakes Christina and Burke had to sample for their wedding? Geesh!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:50pm
post #49 of 70

cakecastle-I remember that too! I also remeber once on Desperate Housewives someone was ordering a wedding cake, and the baker came to their house with 5 different 6 inch cakes, all decorated in fondant and piped beautifully. I was thinking, who has time for that?

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 3:16pm
post #50 of 70

I think a lot of people get these ideas from movies and television - a room full of samples for weddings and birthday cakes big enough for 75 when 10 people have been invited to the party icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Mamas Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:10pm
post #51 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseball

I think a lot of people get these ideas from movies and television - a room full of samples for weddings and birthday cakes big enough for 75 when 10 people have been invited to the party icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I never thought of it that way but I think you guys might be on to something. It would explain why sometimes people come to me with some of the most outrageous expectations.

costumeczar Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:16pm
post #52 of 70

When I watch the "Whose wedding" type shows and see the cake tastings that go on there, I always wonder if the bakers do it that way all the time, or if they're just on their best behavior, so to speak, when they know that the cameras will be there. They usually have entire mini cakes for people to taste, which seems like a heck of a lot of work if yo're going to do it that way all the time.

There was one where a baker in Miami (I think it was Ana Paz, I could be wrong) told the bride flat out that she couldn't do a couple of things because they just wouldn't work. I was cheering her for that! I think that the girl wanted a totally sugar-free cake or something like that. It's nice to see someone show some common sense on one of those shows and just put the brakes on.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 9:56pm
post #53 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

When I watch the "Whose wedding" type shows and see the cake tastings that go on there, I always wonder if the bakers do it that way all the time, or if they're just on their best behavior, so to speak, when they know that the cameras will be there. They usually have entire mini cakes for people to taste, which seems like a heck of a lot of work if yo're going to do it that way all the time.

I'm betting the cameras do have an impact. We also don't know if this is a free sampling, or if they are charging for it. (A bride told me that one of the "big boys" caterers in town charges $300 for a sampling ... deductible from the final bill IF you book with them.)

If we get a bride who we can tell has the "...but they did it on Desperate Housewives....!" attitude, we can ask them, "And how much did that kind of sampling COST that bride on that FICTIONAL tv show?" icon_rolleyes.gif

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:36am
post #54 of 70

I am convinced that 1/2 the problems we deal with everyday are due to people thinking that what they see on tv applies to real life.

It's Television people and it's NOT real life. 1/2 the stuff on the new is no longer real news.

About 20 years ago there was a strike and someone came up with the 1st reality show. That was the begining the of the end. I watched that and said to my friend. Just watch what people will come up next and how the public will just eat it up.

See us today. Man we have to teach our children commun sense or we are in trouble.

sorry to hi-jack the tread. it's been one of those days. including the hospital run and mini crutches.

Good Luck with your out of this world requests.

sassycleo Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:55am
post #55 of 70

Well the tasting went off with out a hitch. I got the order with payment in full coming today!

The planner said she is actually going to throwing quite a lot of business my way! Woo hoo I'm just hoping it happens!

Thanks to everyone for your advice, I think this went as well as it did because of the advice that was given, so thanks again!

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:23am
post #56 of 70
Quote:

Well the tasting went off with out a hitch. I got the order with payment in full coming today!

The planner said she is actually going to throwing quite a lot of business my way! Woo hoo I'm just hoping it happens!

Thanks to everyone for your advice, I think this went as well as it did because of the advice that was given, so thanks again!

I recommend that you have this thread deleted if you want an ongoing relationship with this vendor.

Best of the best to you.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:39pm
post #57 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I recommend that you have this thread deleted if you want an ongoing relationship with this vendor.

Did I miss the part where she names the planner? Otherwise, it is just another anonymous post. How would the planner know it was even her talking? I seriously doubt that "sassycleo" is really her name, anymore than my actual name is "bettycrockermommy" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Come on, really? icon_surprised.gif

sassycleo Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:45pm
post #58 of 70

Wait, you mean sassycleo isn't my name?!?!?! haha

*pulling out my birth certificate* First Name: Umm wow geez look at that it isn't listed as sassy, I wonder what it states for my last name.... Last Name: Well I'll be darned it isn't cleo either..... *winks*

Thanks BCM I was basically thinking the same thing this morning when I read the reply but opted to ignore the negativity icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:51pm
post #59 of 70
Quote:

I received a call from a "planner" in the past day. I say "planner" because I am already annoyed with this one.

So the call I get is from a woman who says she's a "planner". She is an owner of Country Gourmet, Chef Owner/Event Planner.

I'm attaching a picture of the cake, any suggestion on how to do this to serve 65 is going to be very much appreciated.

I mean with the picture of the cake & stuff in the Richmond area...it's far from annonymous. It's an accident waiting to happen.

It's not at all negative either. It's a very good call.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:59pm
post #60 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:

I received a call from a "planner" in the past day. I say "planner" because I am already annoyed with this one.

So the call I get is from a woman who says she's a "planner". She is an owner of Country Gourmet, Chef Owner/Event Planner.

I'm attaching a picture of the cake, any suggestion on how to do this to serve 65 is going to be very much appreciated.

I mean with the picture of the cake & stuff in the Richmond area...it's far from annonymous. It's an accident waiting to happen.

It's not at all negative either. It's a very good call.

Still, a moot point. She resolved the issue with the planner. I still don't see the big deal!

What do you think the chances really are of this "planner" coming across this one post in the hundreds of thousands posted here? Heck, I have trouble accessing posts that I make somedays! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%