Starting Business In Texas

Business By munchkin71 Updated 14 Jun 2008 , 4:57am by munchkin71

munchkin71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
munchkin71 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:30am
post #1 of 7

I am new to CC and this is my first post. I am totally confused about the criteria for a cake business in Texas. I have sat for hours reading posts in the forums and I have not come across any that answer my questions. I have been told that in Texas the criteria varies from county to county. I have gone to the link listed for Texas on CC and cannot make heads or tails of where I need to look. I live on 88 acres in Liberty county and am wanting to build my shop on my land but I am not sure of the legalities of it all. I was assigned a mentor through the SBA but my mentor is out of California and has no idea about Texas. Any help would be greatly appreciated. icon_smile.gif

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:20am
post #2 of 7

Your county health department would be a very good resource. They will tell you about the kitchen requirements, then you have to deal with the zoning and permits people. Best of luck!

munchkin71 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:31am
post #3 of 7

Thanks so much JoannB. I have spents hour upon hour searching the forums for answers. Minutes after I posted I found what I had been looking for. Thanks again. icon_biggrin.gif

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:49am
post #4 of 7

A good source of information for Texas would be on Earlene Moore's web site. She has pictures of her kitchen, business articles, and what the health department expects. She lives in Lubbock, TX.
-Debbie B.

Batter-UpBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Batter-UpBakery Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:51am
post #5 of 7

Where are you located at in Liberty County?? There is no health inspector through LC so you will have to call someone out of Houston. I think I have the number I will just have to find it. I was going through the same thing as you. It's a real pain, but I am gonna bake out of my MIL cafe when she gets it open so that all i have to do is get the liscense and permits and stuff. Good Luck to you and I will post that number as soon as I figure out what I did with it.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:52am
post #6 of 7

Munchkin,
I do not know what would be required in Liberty county but the health department will be able to tell you. I live in Jefferson county and am president of the cake club in Beaumont. Come join us!!! You're just right up the road!

I am hoping to put in a legal kitchen next year and will be dealing with all of that then. One of our club members has a bakery and she might be able to assist you on what you will need.

munchkin71 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 4:57am
post #7 of 7

Thank you all so much for the help. I am currently living in Orange Tx. awaiting my house in Liberty to be finished. I am hoping to be moved by the middle of July. I found a great site that has answered all of my questions except the requirements for my kitchen. I have combed Earlenes site many of times in the past few months for answers. Earlene does have a list of requirements on her site that were very helpful. I guess I am just overly anxious to get started. I do not work and my kids are almost grown. I have 1 already out on his own and 2 that will graduate high school next May. So I guess it is time for me to get the ball rolling on this dream of mine. Thanks Ladies. MUNCHKIN

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%