Advice For Letting Your Fondant Pieces Dry In The Oven....

Decorating By mija10417 Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 5:33pm by Iloveweddings

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 1:59am
post #1 of 39

turned off of course. Make sure when you rush home from work and try to get dinner started, you don't preheat the oven without looking in it first!!

YEP!! Take a guess what happened to all my fondant figures I made!! MELTED!!

So if you do dry your fondant figures in the oven, make sure to put a note on the oven door for yourself so you don't end up with my disaster!

38 replies
SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:08am
post #2 of 39

Yep. Been there, done that. I stay clear of the oven now, just don't trust myself.

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:20am
post #3 of 39

how do you dry them... just store them in the oven.... thats cool never thought of them... ususally i put them on my kitchen counter, where the ac vent hits and dry them that way... so can someone tell me how to do it... just store them or actually dry them... share

NanaFixIt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaFixIt Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:30am
post #4 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklesley1

how do you dry them... just store them in the oven.... thats cool never thought of them... ususally i put them on my kitchen counter, where the ac vent hits and dry them that way... so can someone tell me how to do it... just store them or actually dry them... share

Put your pieces in the oven with the light on - no temp, just the light. It will heat enough to dry out the fondant / gumpaste quickly. HTH

pinklesley1 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:32am
post #5 of 39

cool.... im soo going 2 try that

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:41am
post #6 of 39

... and add some Fixodent to your fondant... it really made my figures harden faster and better... without it, my fondant was way too moist with all the humidity. I do open the oven and turn my fondant pieces periodically, to make sure they will not stick and break when I try to remove them.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:44am
post #7 of 39

does this have to be an oven w/ a pilot, or just a light?

pinklesley1 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:44am
post #8 of 39

i like the fixodent idea, but i pride myself on making
EVERYTHING
edible... and i dont think that you could eat it, if it has fixodent... and kids (i learned) eat EVERYTHING...

lutie Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:53am
post #9 of 39

Remember that Fixodent is used in the mouth area. It stays in the mouth for hours and hours in those who use it. I use it for my fondant pieces (characters, etc. NOT the fondant icing) because they need stability. It gives a very slight minty taste to the fondant, but I have never had anyone eat my figures. They take them home as souvenirs of the cake... a couple of my clients told me that their kids ate a bow I made and thought it tasted great! Who knows what people like? I told her when I delivered the cake that there was Fixodent in the bows to make the bows stiff and she said she had no problem with it.

pinklesley1 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:55am
post #10 of 39

how much do u use

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:59am
post #11 of 39

I have a warming drawer under my oven that is invaluable for drying fondant pieces. It heats low, medium & high. I add cornstarch to my fondant pieces and let them dry in there for few hours on low. Works great.

Some decorators use those food dehydrators too.

lutie Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:05am
post #12 of 39

Pinklesley1, I use about 2 Tablespoons to half of my recipe (Michele Foster's recipe)... if it feels too sticky, I put in more (make sure you use the powder form... not the paste!). You can tell the feel after you knead it in the fondant. I got a bottle of it at the drug store for $3.77.

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:08am
post #13 of 39

I have an electric oven and I just turn the temp as low as it will go and put my pieces in for about 1/2 hour. Then I take them and let them cool completely and they dry hard. I place them on cornstarch dusted cardboard before they go in. I also have a dehydrator but I only use when I havent procrastinated...."It still has that new car smell" icon_biggrin.gif

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:13am
post #14 of 39

the main ingredient that is in Fixodent or Ploygrip that will harden is Carboxy Methyl Cellulose or CMC.

It is an ingredient that is comonly in things like toothpaste and cosmetics.

It might have a slight laxitive effect if too much is eaten. (it's used in some diet pills)

I use CMC powder that I buy in bulk for my gumpaste recipe and my GP dries like beautiful porceline. I only use a very tiny bit in a GP recipe but I don't know how mush is in the fixodent.

I would use a tsp or less in a handful of fondant, see how that goes, maybe even start with half a tsp.

here is some more info about it

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/wholebody/ingredients/carboxymethyl.html

kurn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kurn Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:32am
post #15 of 39

I am new to the forums here and I can't believe how much I have learned in such a short time. I wish I had paid attention earlier.

THANK U for all the info.

pinklesley1 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:48am
post #16 of 39

thank you luttie and leannew

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:47pm
post #17 of 39

Every time I put something in the oven for "storage", I put a piece of tape (or a dot of icing...whatever is handy) over the "on" button of the oven. That way, if ANYONE in the family goes to turn the oven on, they know something is in there.

lutie Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:40pm
post #18 of 39

Oh, what a great idea! I usually let my cornbread pans dry out in my still-warm oven after I have rinsed and wiped them out and forget that I have them in there (until I turn on the oven to preheat it for the next meal). I will definitely put this on my oven somewhere to remind me, as I am the only one who is using the oven now, but becoming more and more forgetful. Once someone turns "29", it is all downhill icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 10:50pm
post #19 of 39

i have also read somewhere that the best way to clean cookie cutters and not having them rust is to wash them immediately, and a cookie sheet, and put them in the still warm oven to dry.

JennaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaB Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:07am
post #20 of 39

All great ideas, I never would have thought of them. I tried drying fondant in my clothes dry and low heat, i did it only for a short time and thought that I sc@#%ed up because they were reallly soft, but it turns out, after taking then out, they hardened in no time. Going to try the fixodent thought.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 6:26pm
post #21 of 39

I tried drying my fondant pieces in the oven - no heat, just the light - and they didn't melt but they definitely sagged and lost definition. It was a surprise cake for my dad so no big deal but it was really bad. I'm never trying that again. Now I wish I could find a good deal on a dehydrator.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:23am
post #22 of 39

oh did anybody mention you really shouldn't try this with a gas oven?

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 3:01am
post #23 of 39

leanne, do they actually carry the cmc at whole foods?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 10:07am
post #24 of 39

ALSO icon_biggrin.gif LOLOLOL. I was making some Orchids for my final. Well, they weren't drying fast enough for me. Yeah the oven will work. I loaded up a sheet pan, Cel Former, and all. Checked back in about 1/2 hr, no prob. Well about an hour later, all the lil Cel Former thingies shrunk. icon_surprised.gificon_evil.gificon_cry.gif Not good, not good at all. I borrowed them from school to make all of the flowers. So then I hurry around, and end up ordering 19 replacement packages. You can't buy the individual ones. You have to buy the whole package. GRRRRRR. That ended up being a $100.00 mistake that won't be forgotten.

Mike

jess85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess85 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:00pm
post #25 of 39

I use cellogen/tylo/cmc in my figures too. You only need to add about a teaspoon per 500g (approx 1/4pound)

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:20pm
post #26 of 39

Where are you purchasing the CMC powder from???

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:22pm
post #27 of 39

500 g.=1.10 pounds

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:54pm
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Could you explain, please?

The one time I tried doing this in my gas oven it was a total disaster. The fondant got all soft and mushy and I had to start all over again.

No one ever said not to try this in a gas oven. thumbsdown.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:36pm
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Could you explain, please?

The one time I tried doing this in my gas oven it was a total disaster. The fondant got all soft and mushy and I had to start all over again.

No one ever said not to try this in a gas oven. thumbsdown.gif

Well it's not the gas or electric part it's the amount of heat and the condition of your product. I mean my warming drawer says on LOW because I learned like everyone else what happens on MEDIUM AND HIGH, got some sweet melted toast! including the requisite morphed out plastic formers et al.

But I mean it's a dance you do. The product has to be dryable the heat has to be low enough. I should put a thermometer in there & see. I think it's under 150? I'll check & report back. Unless someone smart knows in the meantime.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 7:52pm
post #30 of 39

it gets hotter in a turned off gas oven with the light on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%