Advice For Letting Your Fondant Pieces Dry In The Oven....

Decorating By mija10417 Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 5:33pm by Iloveweddings

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 8:05pm
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

it gets hotter in a turned off gas oven with the light on.

Ok you mean with the pilot light? Sometimes the pilot light is the blessing you want to help dry out your stuff. I mean my gas oven has an electric starter so no pilot. But I have a warming drawer anyway. If I crank it to high, my stuff will die a horrible death. If I keep it on low I'm golden, my fondant with extra cornstarch dries like clay, tastes like raspberry candy and I can trim it with scissors too because of the gelatine.

If you have enough juju in your product whatever it is, tylose or cornstarch or 10X or whatever it will dry fine with or without pilot light or light bulb in there.

You have to test stuff--see my quote down there--all things are expedient and all things are not always expedient. But there is no cut and dry thing that gas ovens will not dry out fondant. Sure they will. You gotta test it. It works great. So next time make the stuff stiffer, drier, and turn the light off, prop the door open, do what you need to do but it totally works.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 8:09pm
post #32 of 39

I use straight gp.... I have used both fondant with tylose AND straight gp and both times my work melted or never dried out icon_sad.gif

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 8:16pm
post #33 of 39
Quote:

I use straight gp.... I have used both fondant with tylose AND straight gp and both times my work melted or never dried out icon_sad.gif

So your oven pilot is pretty toasty huh. I've got three thermometers in my warming drawer --should have some temps for us shortly. I used to know the temps but my brain is low on ram so I deleted that factoid.

I add cornstarch to my fondant--it is great because it is cheap, it dries great like for bows & stuff--two hours and done.

Maybe yours would work better if you prop the oven door open some or stick a fan in there. Or leave the door open all together.

test test test

wgoat5 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 8:21pm
post #34 of 39

lol if I had the oompf I would test right now.. but I'm lazy LOL.... I'll try with the door open but I really have no trouble drying my pieces just out in the air.. USUALLY I give myself enough time LOL... like I said USUALLY

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 8:22pm
post #35 of 39

I mean if you mean never dried out like at all then maybe your recipie needs tweaking. I use ck gumpaste mix --that stuff dries fast--it dries as I'm using it. So however exactly you meant 'never dried out' that's a problem with your formula. I mean even the melted stuff eventually shoulda hardened up.

wgoat5 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 8:27pm
post #36 of 39

Oh yes they eventually did... I took them out of that oven and put them in a dehydrator and they did fine .. I use SI gp which I haven't ever had a problem.. and if I have to make it out of fondant I use the SI fondant

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 8:35pm
post #37 of 39
Quote:

lol if I had the oompf I would test right now.. but I'm lazy LOL.... I'll try with the door open but I really have no trouble drying my pieces just out in the air.. USUALLY I give myself enough time LOL... like I said USUALLY

You have several kidlettes--you are very busy!

I will admit it is a blessed luxury to be able make bows in two hours.

Kind of a trade off with the cake gods. I can't be legal in my county but I can make bows fast. Hmm, wonder if I could negotiate a little...y'know what I mean I'd wait three hours for a bow to dry if I could get licensed!! icon_lol.gif Hey four even--overnight, man knock yourself out, cakegods. So I can make a real fast bow for every one of my no customers. icon_mad.gif Buht I'm nohhht bittehhhr.

icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 8:39pm
post #38 of 39

Ladies and Gentlemen, it is one hundred twenty five degrees in my warming drawer on low. And this temp is safe for all of my gum paste, fondant and other random concoctions.

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:33pm
post #39 of 39

I put my gimpast/fondant flowers out in my hot car. I then came in and began reading about this thread. I quickly went out to my car and took them out. Now they are in my oven with the light on. Boy am I glad I read this. You folks said the stuff could melt in high heat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%