Icing Isn't Crusting

Decorating By hsswoosh Updated 14 Jun 2008 , 2:05am by amandamotley

hsswoosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsswoosh Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 3

So... I'm a beginner to cake decorating and just really learning what recipes are best and etc. I made a simple chocolate cake filled with a cream cheese filling and froze it for one night. I iced it the next day and the icing didn't crust quickly at all. It literally took about 3 hours to get a crust and even that wasn't crusted all the way. Since I froze the cake... could the moisture of the cake be causing the icing to not crust fully?

I guess I need some tips on what I'm doing wrong.... and the process that you guys all use with freezing your cakes and etc... how long can i keep the cake out for.. is it safe to keep out with certain fillings... all those basics...
kinda hard to explain. Oh.. and it was my first time to make MMF and put it on the cake.. other than the icing not crusting fully... i couldn't get two parts of the MMF smooth.. what are the best ways to get it smooth without a crease?? Do I need it on an elevated surface so that the MMF hangs down or can I do it on a flat surface?! Yeah.. this post is so scattered I don't know if you guys will understand lol!

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 3

If you are covering a cake with fondant, it is not necessary to have crusted icing. Just a smooth surface under the fondant. apply your crumb coat, chill if needed, than apply the fondant.

there is a video for fondant application see: atecousa.com

Most fillings that include dairy and/or eggs will require refrigeration. For a cake you do not want to refrigerate, you can use jams or preserves for filling.

While cream cheese may be considered 'safe' for a time at room temp, it will soften if it is warm and can cause problems

amandamotley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandamotley Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:05am
post #3 of 3

I haven't had any problems with my buttercream since I started adding meringue powder to it. I just add about a tablespoon per recipe. Works like a charm! Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%