I Really Hate Being Stood Up!

Business By summernoelle Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 11:50pm by BrandisBaked

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 15

Today I waited for 30 minutes in a Starbucks for a client to show up for a tasting. I special baked her cupcakes and frostings and arranged my baking day around her. Then I traveled 20 miles, dropped off my two kids with their grandma, and then traveled another 5 miles to the venue. The lady did not even show up, or manage to get her fingers to dial my phone number to tell me she wasn't coming. icon_mad.gif
Since I don't have a store front, meeting clients at places like Starbucks is my only option. This really makes me want to start charging for tastings...to encourage them to show up. Does anyone else do this? Is that OK to do?

14 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 15

She would certainly have to pay for a second tasting.

I don't normally charge, but many do, and it works out fine. You can take the cost of the samples off the final price of the cake.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 15

I charge $25 which is applied to the balance if they book the cake. When someone has to put out the money, they are more motivated to keep the appointment IMO.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 15

That is pretty tacky, after you made such an effort and traveled to meet her. She definitely should pay for the second tasting, if not for both!

If it wouldn't be cutting off my nose to spite my face, I'd probably never speak to her again since she is that thoughtless.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 15

I do.. $30 for a tasting and if you book that gets applied to your balance. No way I'm doing it for nothing. It costs me money to make the cakes and if they don't book that fee assures that I am covered for my time. Plus.. when people have money invested in something.. they are less apt to not show up.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 15

so do they pay you BEFORE the tasting?

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:57pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

so do they pay you BEFORE the tasting?

I was thinking about telling them to pay on Paypal. That way, there is no time to wait on the mail, or bounced check issues.

FromScratch Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:59pm
post #8 of 15

Yes.. they can mail me a check if it arrives one week before their date or if that time has lapsed they can bring $30 in cash with them. Sometimes I have people in with less than a week's notice and that's fine. If they "forget their wallet" I will send an invoice, but this has never been an issue for me.

Most of the time tastings are booked with more than ample time to make sure monies can get to me before hand.

(edited to change the price.. I just upped it to $30 and I keep writing $25 still LOL)

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:14am
post #9 of 15

ditto with the others that charge for tastings, just changed my prices as well from $25 to $30.

I also apply it to the total if they book with me.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 9:48pm
post #10 of 15

Well here's the problem with waiting to accept payment. Even if the OP had rewuired a patment, and then allowed the cleint to pay at the tasting, she would be out both the baking & time, plus the money. Also, it takes longer than a week for a check to come back bounced right?

I think paypal is the answer here...I think indydebi said she would rather take the 3% fee than lose the sale...I believe I am with her!

I like that y'all are applying the fee to the booked cake. I see that as another incentive. Currently i do not charge, but soon as I get stood up, you bet I will. i normally hold them at my home so if they stand me up after I have, baked, planned, gotten rid of the kids, AND cleaned extra special....you betch I will be charging.

icon_smile.gif

Julia

nicolepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolepa Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 1:27am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by acookieobsession

I think paypal is the answer here...I think indydebi said she would rather take the 3% fee than lose the sale...I believe I am with her!

The only problem with paypal is that if the "buyer" files a complaint Paypal always sides with them. Also paypal can decide to investigate any transaction and then you are both out the money. Then there is the issue of paypal doing a security check and then not allowing you back into your account because they don't think you've entered the correct information. Then any money you have in your account is stuck there until you figure out how to get into your account. (I'm going on 6 months or so right now.)

As you can see I've had tons of problems with paypal and will no longer use them if I'm accepting money (unless it's from a personal friend). I will only use them if I'm sending money.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:11pm
post #12 of 15

How rude of her to stand you up like that. Did she ever speak with you regarding the missed appointment? I'm not sure that I would want to deal with someone after being stood up.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:37pm
post #13 of 15

What a butt.

FromScratch Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 11:22pm
post #14 of 15

I usually just go to the bank it was drawn on and cash the check when I get it.. I've never had an issue. I like paypal and I don't like paypal.. though I do offer it up as a last minute option if it's needed.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 11:50pm
post #15 of 15

I charge $50 - and they pay via PayPal.

Never had anyone stand me up.

I also do free group tastings though, for those too cheap to pay. Once a month, I have a 2 hour "tasting event" - where only a limited selection is available for tasting (just whatever I want to bake or have extra of). There is no one-on-one time to speak of... they come, they eat, they leave with printed information. If they like the cake, and want to book with me, I will set up the consult and they must pay the 50% deposit at that time. At this point, they can do a "real tasting" which includes up to 6 flavors of cake/icing/fillings. I don't charge $50 for this since it's basically included in the cake.

The free tasting is great because some people are nervous about paying $50 for cake they might hate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%