Help....before I Have To Post In The Cake Disasters Forum!

Decorating By saj_stuff Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 5:57pm by saj_stuff

saj_stuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saj_stuff Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 6

I am making my dear nephew's 2nd birthday cake. I've made two 11" round white cakes...which are apparently VERY soft...for my bottom layer. Will have 2-layer 8" rounds on top. Anyways, last night, when I put the 2nd 11" on top of the first, the bottom one is crushing. I've crumb coated them, expecting it to settle, well, it has. It is staying put, but I have a HUGE bulge INSIDE the bottom layer...not between the layers as usual. icon_sad.gif Should I cut it off and try to "spackle" it with icing...I'm worried its too soft and crumbly and will be worse. What do I do? Help please...I want it to be perfect for my little guy! Thanks in advance for your wonderful advice!

5 replies
Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 6

Could you clarify "inside" a bit more? I'm a little confused when I try to picture it.

saj_stuff Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 6

Okay..for my bottom tier of the cake...it is cake, a layer of buttercream, then cake....well, my bulge IS the bottom cake...I guess it isn't sturdy enough and is being squished by the buttercream and 2nd cake. I hope that makes more sense.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 6

Did you try taking off the second layer and putting some good strong supports in the first??

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by saj_stuff

I am making my dear nephew's 2nd birthday cake. I've made two 11" round white cakes...which are apparently VERY soft...for my bottom layer. Will have 2-layer 8" rounds on top. Anyways, last night, when I put the 2nd 11" on top of the first, the bottom one is crushing. I've crumb coated them, expecting it to settle, well, it has. It is staying put, but I have a HUGE bulge INSIDE the bottom layer...not between the layers as usual. icon_sad.gif Should I cut it off and try to "spackle" it with icing...I'm worried its too soft and crumbly and will be worse. What do I do? Help please...I want it to be perfect for my little guy! Thanks in advance for your wonderful advice!

Did you dowel your cake?

saj_stuff Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 6

I haven't doweled it yet....I will before I put on my top tier. It's the weight of it's own tier that is causing this. I will be sure to dowel this tier well before I add the top so that no further damage occurs, but how do I fix what I have...just add more icing on that one side to make it not "look" bulged?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%