You Know You're A Cake Decorator When ...........

Decorating By cdavis Updated 16 May 2014 , 1:03pm by -K8memphis

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 1:50am
post #91 of 108

When your grocery cart consists of 25lb sugar, 25lbs flour, 15 bags of marshamallows, 10 bags powdered sugar, heavy cream, 4 different flavors of coffee creamer, chocolate chips, lunchmeat and bread, and 1 can of tuna.

celiazumbach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
celiazumbach Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 7:52pm
post #92 of 108

AYou know you are a cake decorator when ....you notice the patern on the bottom of your shoes would make an awesome pattern in fondant....

mysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysweet Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 9:56pm
post #93 of 108

You lose a stone on an earring and your first thought is to wonder whether piping gel or candy melts would work better to fix it.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 10:01pm
post #94 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysweet 

You lose a stone on an earring and your first thought is to wonder whether piping gel or candy melts would work better to fix it.

good one :lol:

i vote piping gel

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 10:46pm
post #95 of 108

You are sick of comments by other grocery shoppers so you start making things up.  What are you going to do with all that jello - well I fill the bathtub up and relax in it.  Then laugh to yourself as you leave them with their mouths wide open, not knowing if you're kidding or not.

Or, at a taste test, you know in two words, what the question the bride is about to ask.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 11:04pm
post #96 of 108

.......you don't make nearly enough money from your struggling business to invest in the investment market advertising on Denise's post!

mysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysweet Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 11:05pm
post #97 of 108

you make friends with the bakery manager at all your local supermarkets so they'll sell you naked frozen cake rounds to decorate yourself!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 10:10am
post #98 of 108

Ha, Denise the investment spam has disappeared from your post.  I think it might be my computer.

acakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acakedecorator Posted 15 May 2014 , 2:02am
post #99 of 108

you are in the cake decorating aisle of your local craft store and a non-decorator walks up and mumbles to themself "I need a tip that makes grass" and without thinking you blurt out "tip number 233" and proceed to take it off the shelf and hand it to them......

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 15 May 2014 , 2:18am
post #100 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by celiazumbach 

You know you are a cake decorator when ....you notice the patern on the bottom of your shoes would make an awesome pattern in fondant....

Hmm - I like to hope that you would find a way to recreate the pattern rather than just rinse your shoe under the tap, dry it and use it on your fondant :grin:

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 15 May 2014 , 2:39am
post #101 of 108

sure!  just put a layer of saran wrap under the shoe.   :D

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 15 May 2014 , 3:21am
post #102 of 108

A

Original message sent by celiazumbach

You know you are a cake decorator when ....you notice the patern on the bottom of your shoes would make an awesome pattern in fondant....

Hmm. Scuffed-up leather with a line of welt-stitching, and the remains of a "genuine leather sole" logo.

I find myself thinking of a gag from an episode of The Beverly Hillbillies (yes, I know, my age is showing. It would show even more if I were to add that I saw the series in prime-time first-run.) Jed (Buddy Ebsen) was trying a really tough piece of meat. He then used a slice of it to patch a hole in his boot. "Real SOLE food," he remarked.

And now that I think of it, that remark would apply to this situation, too!

cakesage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesage Posted 15 May 2014 , 4:45am
post #103 of 108

AWhen buying a stand mixer is more exciting than buying a new car.

When after working a 12 hour night shift on an Oncology unit., and a 2 hour commute home- all you want to do is whip up a cake to feel happy and alive.

When for some bizarre reason you get mad at dear hubby for buying Little Debbie cakes.

When you watch Craftsy and YouTube cake tutorials for a good night"s sleep.

When you feel a void in your day because you did not bake something.

CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 15 May 2014 , 4:05pm
post #104 of 108

I just read this whole thread, love it!

You know your a cake decorator when...

- my children know they can't have a Disney cake unless it has toys as toppers because mommy can't put it on her website otherwise due to copyright violations.

- my kids expect to decorate cupcakes or cookies at every play date or sleepover.

- my kids tell their friends and teachers that mommy is a cake decorator (not a scientist--my 'real' day job)

- I had my perfectly acceptable kitchen completely gutted to allow for an island 11 feet long to have space for decorating and more cabinets for tools (the excuse I tell everyone else is that my original island that sat 3 was not big enough for our family of 7).

- mommy accidentally under bakes a cake and the entire family rejoices because they get more cake scraps.

- my husband thinks it is perfectly acceptable behavior for me to whack him with a rolling pin when he tries to stick a finger in my batter or icing bowls.

- my kids think vodka and pink champagne is purely for cakes (it really is for me).

- I stare longingly at my kids' toy closet and wonder how many more years until I can put cake supplies in there.

- I walk past every available storefront and mentally design a cake shop.

- my husband's coworkers get sad he is changing jobs because they get no more free cake samples (he is a consultant so never stays anywhere more than 3 years).

- empty fondant buckets are used everywhere (sand box, mopping, storing toys, etc).

- if there is a kids' outfit with cakes/cupcakes/cookies on it, my kids have to have it.

- I find reasons to go to Home Goods just to see that new cake pedestals they have.

- I burn vanilla scented candles when not baking and use only vanilla scented lotions--I smell like cake all the time!

Meagazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meagazz Posted 15 May 2014 , 6:38pm
post #105 of 108

~ When you're dead tired exhausted and wanting to go to sleep but you can't stop thinking about new cake designs for hours!!

~ When, because of the above statement, you have a cake journal on your bedside table for cake ideas, rather than a dream journal!

Such a fun thread!

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 16 May 2014 , 1:31am
post #106 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meagazz 

~ When you're dead tired exhausted and wanting to go to sleep but you can't stop thinking about new cake designs for hours!!

~ When, because of the above statement, you have a cake journal on your bedside table for cake ideas, rather than a dream journal!

Such a fun thread!

Haha - I do this all the time - drives me nuts, lucky I don't actually do it for a job or I would never get any sleep, whenever I have someone's birthday coming up I start planning out the cake and coming up with different ways to do things.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 16 May 2014 , 12:03pm
post #107 of 108

You KNOW you're a cake decorator when your septic system fails due to excess grease and you try to blame it on your husbands lunchtime burgers instead of thousands of egg yolks and buttercream.   $20,000 to replace.  If you  have a compost pile, fill IT with the above and save yourself a lot of    $$$$$.   :-(

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 May 2014 , 1:03pm
post #108 of 108

big $20k ouch--gotta love a good grease traparrow-10x10.png

oh denise, so sorry!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%