You Know You're A Cake Decorator When ...........

Decorating By cdavis Updated 16 May 2014 , 1:03pm by -K8memphis

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:22pm
post #31 of 108

When you go to Hobby Lobby's cake department so much with your best friend, and they think she, too, is a cake decorator...And sometimes she thinks she is one, too.

akrainis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akrainis Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:30pm
post #32 of 108

-When you sneeze and it comes out purple... or brown... or whatever color you were airbrushing the night before

-When you wash your hair for the express purpose of getting the food coloring embedded in your nails out.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:39pm
post #33 of 108

When you send your DH to get cake "groceries" and he automatically knows to bring home 50 pounds of cake flour, 50 pounds of granulated sugar, 35 pounds of oil, at least 24 pounds of powdred sugar and at least 9 dozen eggs. And 2 gallons of milk.

And then the regular food groceries.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:40pm
post #34 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrainis

-When you wash your hair for the express purpose of getting the food coloring embedded in your nails out.

I am soo glad I am not the only one who does this!!!!

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:18pm
post #35 of 108

When you find out that the local cake baker "get a cake from her!" went out of business, and that all her equipment and rental house where she did her business is for rent/sale, and you think (wish, hope, desire) that you had the time, money, and success to make it yours!
Well, maybe one day!
icon_smile.gif

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:23pm
post #36 of 108

.....when you don't drink, but have Vodka bottles sitting on your kitchen counter!

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:40pm
post #37 of 108

icon_surprised.gifLMAO TOO TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!

lindsey312 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindsey312 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 7:51pm
post #38 of 108

All things considered, we could be addicted to much worse things!! icon_razz.gif

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 8:07pm
post #39 of 108

when making frosting from scratch is no big deal. icon_rolleyes.gif ....I use to think it was such a chore...canned frosting was the norm! Now, I hate being seen near the stuff!

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 8:36pm
post #40 of 108

OMG this is such a fun thread now, with all these additions.

-When you start buying double the amount of dish detergent during those months when everyone orders buttercreamed cakes

-When you husband complains about doing the dishes. Not because of dinner, because there is inevitably some pans or spatulas involved in the business.

-When you start wandering through antique stores keeping a lookout for cake stands

-Most of all: you start thinking about double uses for everyday things: (using fat straws for dowels, paper towel tubes for storing silpats, cookie cutters for making indentions on cakes, dressmaker's pins for everything!)

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 9:57pm
post #41 of 108

When you know what torting mean, the difrence between filling and icing, and what tylose powder is and the many uses.

And when your freezer is always filled with bags of cake scraps!

When your American Ideal is Colette Peters

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:06pm
post #42 of 108

when you look at everything and start to think " how can i make that edible" or "that would make an awesome cake"

when you go to the supermarket everyday... to buy powdered sugar, butter or flower...

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:11pm
post #43 of 108

I knew I was when my husband set our TiVo to automatically record Ace of Cakes and Food Network Cake Challenges!!

And when I actually had a dream about MOVING to get a larger kitchen with more counter space.

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:33pm
post #44 of 108

How about when your fridge has all your frosting containers in all kinds of colors from the last few cakes you did.
Or when your family has a sweet tooth all you gotta do is send them to the freezer for the leftover cake you made into cupcakes.
Or when your pantry has more cake decorating ingredients than other groceries.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:32am
post #45 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriana

paper towel tubes for storing silpats

That is SOOO cool!!! I never thought about that!!! Thanks Lori!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Hey when you come up with cool gadgets like that then ya KNOW you are a decorator icon_biggrin.gif

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:33am
post #46 of 108

when your real identity disappears & people only know you as "the cake lady"

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:00am
post #47 of 108

When you are talking "cake" and the people you are talking to get that glazed look in their eyes icon_eek.gif

When you have co-workers (I work for an eye doctor) bringing you Michael's coupons on a regular basis. thumbs_up.gif

When you find ransom notes on your desk and the pay off is cake! icon_lol.gif

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:15am
post #48 of 108

When at your appointment with the eye-doctor looks over your details on the card and asks if she can use the number to call me about a cake. An eye doctor I have never even met before!

When your checked luggage at the airport is 20 lb buckets of fondant.

carmenid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenid Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:16am
post #49 of 108

When you stack cakes in your dreams...

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:19am
post #50 of 108

-- The only reason I really go to Walmart is for the baking aisle

-- I love going to the dr. cause there's a cake decorating shop near there

-- my kids talk "bake talk"

-- I recently moved to a new house, but I'm dreaming of the huge kitchen w/ storage shelves, work space, display space, etc. that i want in my next house - and baking is only a hobby for me!!

-- I take pictures of any cookie, cake, or other food item I see w/ my phone

-- My MIL brings home anything she can find by any party she goes to, cause she's a collector, and her excuse is that she wants to show it to me thumbsdown.gif

But we love it anyway!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Jazz2U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jazz2U Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:38am
post #51 of 108

I think of cakes when I go to sleep, when I wake up. I've done what you have done plus brought royal icing when we rented a condo at the beach. I made them when we came back from the beach & my husband was napping & at night. I was really made I only brought 2 batches with me.

The worst was when a co worker mentioned another co worker was getting an operation. She looked at me and said "you have that look! You're not going to make a cake for her hysterectomy!" I was thinking about it...

sandygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandygirl Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:42am
post #52 of 108

-- you ask the DH to run to the store for you and his automatic response is "how many bags of powdered sugar do you need?"

-- When talking about your dream home your focus is on how to have a basement with a seperate entrance that can be closed off from the rest of the house so that you can get licensed. Of course this basement has a full kitchen stainless counter tops, lots of cabinets, a extra large sink and two stoves.

-- When your husband farms, as mine does, and he needs something small to grease a certain part of some of his equipment and the solution you help come up with is a decorating bag with a coupler and a number 2 tip. Don't you know, it worked like a charm. It is now a regular "tool" of his.

cre8ivemary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cre8ivemary Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:51am
post #53 of 108

when you go to the store and take pictures on your camera phone thinking that will be a cute cake.
&
When most of your clothes have color/grease stains.
&
When your floors are covered w/pieces of fondant looking like stepped on gum

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:01am
post #54 of 108

So glad to have come across this. I am always looking for something to make a cake stand out of. Always looking at gift bags for patterns, and I constantly have CAKE NIGHTMARES!
This is a great thread!

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:03am
post #55 of 108

When powdered sugar is an acceptable color for your clothes. and when you read recipe/ decorating books instead of novels.

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:08am
post #56 of 108

So much of who I am is all about cakes. I look at the back of a plane and what I actually see is the opening of a giant rose petal tip! But I think the most convincing evidence for me is when a month ago I dreamed my husband was just so turned on by my body. He was just drooling and I thought, well, what must he be seeing to be just so helpless when he looks at me. So I looked down at my body to try to understand why he was more smitten than you would see on the steamiest love scene on TV. Lo and behold, it completely made sense to me when I looked down at my body and it was actually a 4 tiered square wedding cake. All of a sudden I completely understood why he was so so helpless and at my mercy! If that is not proof, I don't know what is!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:18am
post #57 of 108

.... when you chase a girl down in the mall to tell her that her dress pattern would make a great cake!! (ironically, this girl's mom called me a few weeks later to order a birthday cake for her ..... covered in the dress pattern!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_for_fun

-- The only reason I really go to Walmart is for the baking aisle

You mean walmart has other aisles?? With non-cake stuff?? icon_eek.gif Huh! Learn something new everyday!

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:41am
post #58 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseynh

When you are talking "cake" and the people you are talking to get that glazed look in their eyes icon_eek.gif

When you have co-workers (I work for an eye doctor) bringing you Michael's coupons on a regular basis. thumbs_up.gif

When you find ransom notes on your desk and the pay off is cake! icon_lol.gif

Hahaha... have you been hanging out at my work again? Thats me all over too...they call me the cake lady. There does my identity like joy says!

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:43am
post #59 of 108

I love this post! It's so funny.

There's a few that I totally agree with so far

#1... when you judge your friends harshly for having "canned" icing... also when you judge them harshly for telling you that their favorite cake is funfetti...

#2...When you dream about redoing your kitchen with stainless steel countertops. The other day I was day dreaming about how I could cover my kitchen island in stainless steel but then remembered that I don't have a kitchen island.

also...

When you no longer get 20 phone calls from your husband on a grocery store run to ask where he can find "powdered sugar" or "is the almond bark in the nut section?"

or when your three year old knows how to ice a cake (no she's not for hire)

lastly, when you show up to a girls night out without a cake and get hostile looks...

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:57am
post #60 of 108

When you friends kids are old enough to try to stump for making their cake. Rising to the challenge is so much fun!

When you kids go out to a friends birthday and dont understand why you are not bringing the cake.

Whenever you make a cake your 3 year old thinks it's a birthday Party we will attend.

Having your kids tell you that your cakes are so much better then the cake they had at the party! And that next time I should bring the cake.

When you are doing shells and pearls when putting toothpaste on your or your kids toothbrush.

Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%