Throwdown #4 June

Decorating By confectionaryperfection Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 5:51am by pinklesley1

confectionaryperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionaryperfection Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 59

Hi everyone i am wondering when the throwdown for June will be i have challenged someone and dont see when it starts.

58 replies
twinsmake5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsmake5 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 59

Me too! Someone challenged me and I keep checking and checking. Where is the post?

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 59

I want to be challenged...... icon_sad.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 59

You guys I am waiting for the originator of the TD's to reply to me.... Not sure if she is doing ok .. if something happened to her or what.... just want to be respectful... if she doesn't show then I will post revised rules .. but will need some help doing all of this icon_smile.gif

Please be patient with me icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 59

As I suggested last night (to wgoat5/Christi) last night per a phone conversation, of course we hope Lea/TeeKakes is alright and all is well, but we haven't heard from her in quite a while. I believe we should give her some time (in case something has happened) and then if we don't hear from her by the end of the month then go ahead and revise and post new rules and begin fresh in July.

I sincerely hope I'm not overstepping my bounds here, but I feel that would be fair to everyone - Lea, who began this fun activity when she challenged Christi back a few months ago; and to the rest of the CC members who eagerly await their turn to 'take the challenge'.

Also, if it turns out that Lea cannot participate for whatever reason, I am willing to step up and help Christi (I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience last month).

Hope this is a satisfactory solution. If there are any complaints, please post them on this thread. Thank you.

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 8:13pm
post #6 of 59

So is June's TD going to be cancelled...?

me and kansaswolf (my competitor/friend) have already started our cakes and would hate to not be able to compete...?

can someone help me... pm me or reply here!!!

wgoat5 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 8:15pm
post #7 of 59

No it's not cancelled hun... You can still do a TD icon_smile.gif .. just pick someone you want to post it... have them set it up (your pictures ) and start a poll icon_smile.gif

I haven't heard from Lea either icon_sad.gif

pinklesley1 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 8:18pm
post #8 of 59

who am i going to pick... i dont really know that many people... other than you, lea and jennifer...

should we post a forum asking for volunteers?

Kitchen_Witch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitchen_Witch Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 8:29pm
post #9 of 59

I am new to the board and am wondering if there is more information on this "throwdown"?

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:21pm
post #10 of 59

I'd be happy to help and/or post photos for anyone who wants to Throwdown.

I really enjoyed my turn at it, and would want others to be able to participate as well.

pinklesley1 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:23pm
post #11 of 59

thank yoiu brandisbaked... hopwfully someone will take you up on the offer...
kansaswolf and i have a "sponsor" but i know that there was like 6 teams...

justgale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justgale Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 11:28pm
post #12 of 59

I'm not sure how the whole throw down thing works eiter, but if someone will tell me what needs to be done I'll help out too.
Sherri

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:06pm
post #13 of 59

I'd be interested in learning more about the throwdowns and how it all works, too. icon_smile.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:28pm
post #14 of 59

Hi gang,

Pinklesley1 asked for a sponsor in this thread: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5974209-.html#5974209 and I sent a note and PM'd them both that I could sponsor them. I would be willing to help Christi (Wgoat5) with any of Lea/TeeKakes competitors if Christi would like my assistance.

wgoat5 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:33pm
post #15 of 59

Shirl would love the help... icon_smile.gif Pm me when you have time to talk...

tiptop57 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:47pm
post #16 of 59

Potatoecakes and Justgale:

Here are the rules and guidelines from Throwdown #3

1. Any member may challenge another CC member to a TD. The TD will all begin and end on the specified dates so all pictures of completed cakes can be uploaded for judging at the same time. This will make it easy for all CC members to judge each TD photo, and, all winners can be announced at the same time.

2. Throw Downs will begin on the 1st day of every month. They will end in exactly 3 weeks from the start date, at which time your pictures will be sent to the person designated to upload them for you and your challenger. You will have until 3:00 pm CST on that date to get your pictures sent to the designated picture poster of your particular TD.

3. You may submit up to 3 photos for judging.

4. Fondant, Gumpaste, Sugarpaste and/or Buttercream, you pick your mediums to decorate your cake with. TD challengers may use any decorating medium combinations they wish as long as it is edible.

5. Loser is the poster of the new throwdowns. This means the loser of a TD will upload pictures for the subsequent judging.

6. No Sheet cakes allowed.

7. Throwdowners should be as equal in decorating skills as possible. If you are a TD winner please try to be fair and choose a member with "equal to or greater than" decorating skills you possess.

8. No plastic, metal or other non-edible purchased Toys on cake of any kind. Everything must be edible with exception of the cake board and supports.
Competitors may use wires,straws, and dowels for supports. These supports should be hidden in the cake and not visible by viewing the cake.

9. The 2 TD Challengers will choose the theme of cake to be designed.

10. "Any non-winning CC member may only participate in a Throw Down 1 time in a 12 month period." "Only the current winner of a Throw Down will continue on" Once this winner loses he/she must wait 12 months before participating in another TD".

11. "Everything on the cake, including the cake, has to be crafted and decorated entirely by the cc member participating in the TD". No help from anyone else. Exceptions; You may have help with the cutting of cake boards or structual support.

12. Only 2 members may compete in any particular Throw Down. However, many Throw Downs can be going on at one time. A TD isn't a TD if there are more than 2 competing a TD.

13. Any shape pan for bottom layer but can NOT be larger than 12".

14. Cakes are to be no more than 2 tiers or stacks.

ashcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashcake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:03pm
post #17 of 59

I haven't participated in any of the TD's. But I have read all the post and voted on all of them. I would be glad to help in any way possible. Christi if you you need any help please PM me!

wgoat5 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:21pm
post #18 of 59

Thank you all icon_smile.gif

Let me say this... I know that the revised rules that were supposed to be done by Lea had included the use of dummies... those are included.. You CAN use dummy cakes.. and it can be more than 2 tiers... Still no sheet cakes BUT you can carve from a sheet cake icon_smile.gif

pinklesley1 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:51pm
post #19 of 59

wgoat... what about the sizes? can it be larger than 12 for the bottom layer...

thats so cool that we can use dummies... i will pass it on to my competitor...

tiptop57 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:58pm
post #20 of 59

pinklesley1 I am revising the rules as I write this and the board must not be bigger then 12 inches.

Patience gang as I will have the revised rules up on this thread tomorrow. icon_wink.gif

pinklesley1 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:50am
post #21 of 59

what....!!! i already started and my board is 14 inches.... my cake is 12, but my board is 14.... bc i was following the last rules...

Batter-UpBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Batter-UpBakery Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 5:36am
post #22 of 59

well i will have to see if my challenger can still do the cake. if not it will be

july. also if I can't do it this month I would be glad to post somebody

elses photos!!

tiptop57 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:06pm
post #23 of 59

Pinklesley1 - please see my PM - okay? icon_wink.gif

twinsmake5 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:01pm
post #24 of 59

Batter-Up Bakery, Jennifer ---

when are the photos due? Are they still thinking it started June 1? 3 weeks would make the cake photos due June 22?

I haven't started a thing - I'm so incredibly busy with a cake order due tomorrow night. We're headed out of town for the weekend and get back Sunday afternoon. You're a sure winner! That gives me a day and a half to do the cake. Please email me and let me know who to send the pictures to and by when. I can never back down from a challenge! This may make me nuts - but still - that's part of the fun!

wgoat5 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:09pm
post #25 of 59

Oops Leslie and all others... the photos are due the 3rd Saturday of the month... which gives a week left for voting unless it is a 5 weeks month... then it will be the 4th Saturday of the month icon_smile.gif

tiptop57 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:54pm
post #26 of 59

Here are the new revised rules.

Wgoat5 and I talked prior to posting these rules and since it is so late in the June monthly competition we decided to address individual throwdowner concerns on a one-to-one bases. So please PM your designated poster with any concerns.

Throwdown (TD) guidelines â revised 6/18/08
These rules supercede any prior posted Throw Down rules or guidelines.

1. Any member may challenge another CC member to a TD. The TD will all begin and end on the specified dates so all pictures of completed cakes can be uploaded for judging at the same time. This will make it easy for all CC members to judge each TD photo, and, all winners can be announced at the same time.

2. Throw Downs will begin on the first day of every month. Photos are due to your designated poster the third Saturday of the month. which gives one week for voting unless it is a five week month then it will be the fourth Saturday of the month. You will have until 3:00 PM CST on that date to get your pictures sent to the designated picture poster of your particular TD. (Exception: unless other arrangements have been made by your designated poster.)

3. You may submit up to three photos for judging and photos must be consistent between both contestants. Perhaps, front shot, top angle shot and a close-up. Photos must be pre-sized for message boards at 640 X 480.

4. A description should be included with your photos.

5. Fondant, Gumpaste, Sugarpaste and/or Buttercream can be used, you pick your mediums to decorate your cake. TD challengers may use any decorating medium combinations they wish as long as it is edible, (no fresh flowers, cold porcelain, plastic or toys of any kind).

6. Loser is the poster of the new throwdowns. This means the loser of a TD will upload pictures for the subsequent judging.

7. Straight sheet cakes are not allowed with the exception to be used for sculpting cake designs and must be sculpted.

8. Throwdowners should be as equal in decorating skills as possible. If you are a TD winner please try to be fair and choose a member with "equal to or greater than" decorating skills you possess.

9. With the exception of sculpted cakes, dummies are allowed. 3-D sculptures may only use Styrofoam where absolutely necessary.

10. Competitors may use wires, straws, and dowels for supports. These supports should be hidden in the cake and not visible by viewing the cake.

11. Wires used for sprays, flowers, leaves, etcetera, but must not be inserted directly into the cake/dummy.

12. The two TD Challengers will choose the theme of cake to be designed.

13. Any non-winning CC member may only participate in a throwdown one time in a 12 month period. Only the current winner of a throwdown will continue on. Once this winner loses he/she must wait 12 months before participating in another TD.

14. Everything on the cake, including the cake, has to be crafted and decorated entirely by the CC member without help from anyone else (i.e. no store bought pearls only hand crafted.) Exceptions; throwdowners may have help with the cutting of cake boards or structural support.

15. Only two members may compete in any particular throwdown, however, many Throw Downs may happen at one time. A TD isn't a TD if there are more than two competing against each other.

16. Largest cake board used may not exceed 14".

17. Cakes can be one tier but no more than three tiers and they may be separated or stacked. The size should be determined by the TD competitors prior to the start of the challenge so each cake is judged/voted against a similar sized cake.

18. Participants are not allowed on the actual voting thread during the vote. Exception: participant may concede. The board will open up to throwdowners after the winner has been determined.

19. The designated poster has the right to point out infractions of the above rules on the original voting post.

twinsmake5 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 5:40pm
post #27 of 59

I really was excited about being challenged! Thank you Jennifer for that spark of enthusiasm!

If the picture of the throwdown cake must be done on this coming Saturday, then I cannot do the throwdown.

Can Jennifer and I do the throwdown in July? Cake Central's up and downs during the first couple of weeks of June made me think the June throwdown would be postponed or cancelled. I was sorry to see my favorite site have so much trouble!

wgoat5 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 5:44pm
post #28 of 59

July is fine.. .

I am also in a ThrowDown for July icon_smile.gif (AuntiElle)

Batter-UpBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Batter-UpBakery Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:51am
post #29 of 59

july is fine for me hehe. There is no way i would be able to get the cake done by saturday. I have entirely to much going on right now. So if anybody needs anything posted or anything else Christi let me know I will be glad to help!!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:49am
post #30 of 59

Hi, all. I'm so glad to hear (see) that the June TD is still on. Sorry I've been away from the board for a while, but between DD's birthday, death in the family, end of school, Girl Scouts, baseball, softball and all the parties that go with them, as well as a Baptism (I'm making the cake for that and traveling two hours each way for it) this Sunday, my head's been spinning! Look out Linda [Blair] you've met your match!! lol icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

So anyway, whatever I can do to help out, I'm available. Hmmmm....who knows, maybe I'll even participate in a July TD myself. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%