Throwdown #4 June

Decorating By confectionaryperfection Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 5:51am by pinklesley1

twinsmake5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsmake5 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:53am
post #31 of 59

I don't know how to write this. I am feeling better. Yesterday my daughter (icon_cool.gif was walking home from the pool with my 14 yr old daughter, her friend, and her twin (icon_cool.gif. Laurel, one of the twins, was hit by a car when crossing the road. It's a quiet road, dead ends into the club/pool area. Our drive is a private drive that meets the quiet road. It's a 5 minute walk. How could someone not see 4 KIDS crossing the road??? The driver looked at least 75. I was told he jumped out of his car on impulse to help my daughter. He left the car in gear and it was rolling down the hill. A stranger jumped in and stopped it. - I'm shaking again just writing this! - I got a call from my 14 year old who was hysterical and an adult took the phone. All I heard was "she's going to need stitches, she's crying, she seems to be ok - come quickly." I thought they were still at the pool and she must have hit her head on the diving board. No big deal.

I was headed to the pool and dead stopped at the corner of the two roads when I saw a bunch of kids in the grass with a bunch of adults - then I saw it was MY kids too! The driver was dabbing at Laurel's bloody spots tenderly. It was 100 degrees. I was more worried about him than her. She had a terrible gash on her head and boo boo's everywhere. Seems everyone saw this - 911 got 4 calls at least. We went to Dell Children's Hosp. and they were wonderful. She is so lucky. She got 21 stitches and she is very, very sore today. Her knees are black and blue and she has scrapes in wierd places - she was wearing a bikini. Her sunglasses tore me apart. They didn't break - they bended in 1/2. She was wearing them. I am so grateful I didn't know what was happening as I was headed to the pool. I am so grateful I saw her before I saw those terrible sunglasses. I am so grateful that she wasn't hurt worse.

The old man had slowed to let them cross, then sped up. They were more than 3/4 the way across the road - he was driving to the left of middle! My 14 year old says she saw him reach down for something and he wasn't looking at them the last time she saw him. A cell phone?

Long story but please excuse me. It's almost 2 a.m. and I just finished a cake that was due at 5 pm earlier today. Luckily, it's for my husband's admin who called the hospital yesterday and arranged great help for us. I can drop off the cake on my way out of town tomorrow.

I cannot do the June throw down challenge. I'm over my head, lost in so many thoughts, and so tired.

Please, please, please, watch out for the kids. I'm sure this old man is a nice guy, he acted like a gentleman, and never wanted this in his life story. It happened in a flash.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:27am
post #32 of 59

You poor thing! I can only imagine what you're going through! I'm happy that your daugher wasn't injured any worse than that. It sounds as if it was truly an accident, though that doesn't necessraily make it better.

My m-i-l was hit by a car three years ago (his past Memorial Day weekend). She wasn't quite as lucky as your daughter and for a while it was 'touch and go'. She survived and is doing well, but needed to have a rod and pins placed in her right thigh/hip and also dislocated her left shoulder and bumped her head either on the car, the asphalt or both (she can't remember all the details). The driver was a 66 or 67 year old man who was going between 5 and 10 mph faster than the speed limit and swerved for some unknown reason (nobody seems to know why) so that he hit my m-i-l when she was crossing the street in a generally slow-moving Catskills town in Upstate NY, and in the lane where traffic should have been coming from the other direction.

As anticipated, my mil healed - mostly - but will never be the same again as she now has an obvious limp (sometimes more pronounced than others), and cannot wear her heals (a closet full!! - her favorite obsession has always been shoes), and couldn't carry my youngest daughter for the first year of her life as my mil was afraid of dropping her or having her leg 'go out' on her.

The good thing with your daughter is that she wasn't hurt badly and that she's young! She definitely had a guardian angel watching over her. Please let her know that I send her get well wishes and I'm also sending some your way because I'm sure that put a few gray hairs on your head as well!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 12:11pm
post #33 of 59

I am sooooooo sorry about your DD!!! But sooo very glad to know she will be ok icon_smile.gif .. And itt sounds like you have a wonderful hospital (we only have a bandaide station that I wouldn't send a snake icon_sad.gif )

Don't you dare worry about the TD!!! You can always do one later if you would like!! Tell us if there is anything we can do!

(((((hugs)))))

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:57pm
post #34 of 59

I havent seen this thread!!!!...Omg !!.I miss you guys!... :lol;..
I have to read it..I am off to work, but I need to find out was going on with the throwdown.
Been busy with a mini tutorial..icon_lol.gif
For now..passing by...saying HIIIIIIIIII!
TTYL girls!...
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Batter-UpBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Batter-UpBakery Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:39pm
post #35 of 59

OMG Becky, I am so sorry to hear about your DD. I am glad she is ok and don't worry about a thing with the TD you just worry about your family and we can do the TD later. Just know your DD is in our prayers.

Grace I am glad your MIL made it through that. I hate when people don't pay attention when they are driving.

Edna we miss you too girl!!! Welcome back and I can't wait to see the tute!!!

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:07pm
post #36 of 59

beky my prayers are with your daughter...
i was in a real bad accient about 6 yrs ago when a teenager comming out of a frat party at FIU (florida international university) WHERE I WAS ATTENDING SCHOOL TOO... (and i was 21 at the time)...
anyways... he was in the car with a bunch of buddies, and they were all drunk, he looked down to change the radio, and took a red light and slammed into my exs jeep... i was the passenger in the front seat... i was slammed foward into the dash, and i ruptured both my knees... nothing happened to the jeep bc we had just installed some heavy duty off roading bumpers...

but the guys car (a vw jetta) was split , right behind the back seat... the trunk disintigrated almost instantly... thank goodness that nothing happened to the guys in the back seat... but i have never been the same... i have to have reconstructive knee surgery ( they told me i had to do it 6 yrs ago- but i refused) and i still need to get it done (but im a Surg Tech and have done numerous knee replacement surgeries, and cant imagine having it done to me...)

anyways... sorry so long, just thought that i would share my moment of irresponsible drivers...

Beky - at least the old guy jumped out to help... in my case the guy tried to leave but the transmission had fallen out of his car.. and it was going no where... he even told me not to call the cops - so i didnt i had a friend call and say that they had driven by and seen the accident.. it was rather scary - the guy was threatening me to not call the cops- can you imaging that... i was wiggin out... so be glad that your DD had someone nice at least help her...

tonedna Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 9:26pm
post #37 of 59

Oh I am sorry becky..Hope everything gets better..

Edna

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 9:51pm
post #38 of 59

Thanks, Jennifer. I believe she'll be 73 this year and you'd never know looking at her, but with the limp and the occasional use of the cane, it definitely aged her and she knows it and I think that is what seriously bothers her the most now (she's basically a sweetheart, but her one big 'flaw' is her vanity. lol As much as she curses her cars/the manufacturer for some stupid details or lack thereof, she continues to get Jaguars because "they make a nice show".)

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 9:58pm
post #39 of 59

i'd love to help with posting pics if you need it. let me know.

tonedna Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 10:58pm
post #40 of 59

Christi...you know I can help anytime too!

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 11:50pm
post #41 of 59

So sorry to hear about you DD. She's young and God willing, she will recover rapidly; surely more rapidly than you'll recover from the frightening accident.
She's in my prayers for a prompt recovery.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 8:57pm
post #42 of 59

Glad your DD is doing well! Scary though...

I sent my pictures off to tiptop, so hopefully my throwdown with pinklesley1 will be posted soon! Can't wait! icon_biggrin.gif

wgoat5 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 9:11pm
post #43 of 59

LOL Kansas... We have our thoughts twisted apparently..

Lesley sent her pics to me LOL

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 9:12pm
post #44 of 59

So glad the kids weren't hurt any more than they were. Scary stuff.

Mike

kansaswolf Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 9:24pm
post #45 of 59

Well, that's just craptastic... icon_wink.gif I got a PM from tiptop saying SHE was going to post for us. Sooo, I resent the pictures to you, since you have Lesley's! *sigh*

It'll all be okay though. icon_biggrin.gif I'm still excited to see them posted! icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 9:29pm
post #46 of 59

I cant wait to see them posted either!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

wgoat5 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 11:23pm
post #47 of 59
tonedna Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:18am
post #48 of 59

Oh sweet!..thanks Christi!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

pinklesley1 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 5:48am
post #49 of 59

in the link that christi gave on top is the td link... when you vote can you bump the forum so that it can stay on the homepage... thanks

kansaswolf Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 6:11am
post #50 of 59

WOO! Bring it on, Lesley! icon_wink.gif

I think we both did pretty awesome for being on such a tight time schedule! icon_biggrin.gif

pinklesley1 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:40pm
post #51 of 59

May the best Competitor win.....
Now its up to CC.... VOTE PEOPLE! VOTE

wgoat5 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:42pm
post #52 of 59

Yes people vote... if people don't vote others won't want to do the TD's...

Come on guys icon_smile.gif

kansaswolf Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:16am
post #53 of 59

228 votes... On our way...

pinklesley1 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:03pm
post #54 of 59

yes... we are on our way... now everyone need to vote...

and please vote... lke cristi said.. if you dont vote then no one will want to do TDs anymore...

so pleae take a second and vote...

kansaswolf Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:42am
post #55 of 59

Heck, *I'D* do a throwdown again just for the fun of competition! But it *IS* more fun when everyone votes...

But hey, it's only Monday... icon_biggrin.gif

wgoat5 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 10:47am
post #56 of 59

Yes it is only Monday icon_smile.gif

Many more votes will be had icon_smile.gif

So no TD'er should be worried icon_smile.gif

pinklesley1 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:52pm
post #57 of 59

and then the fact that we can not bump it is kinda a downer...
stephanie just said so... i mean i stopped doing it, but it sucks.... bc i know that me and jennifer worked real hard on our TD cakes and to only have 300 votes over like the whole weekend is sad... knowing how may CCers there are....

anyways... all that said... like i told jennifer i think she did a bang up job... (dont worry christi - i am not going to goof and say who did what.....!)

and about what jennifer said about doing it again! SURE... bring it on!!!

kansaswolf Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:38pm
post #58 of 59

(Not to mention we're not supposed to be commenting on the other thread... icon_wink.gif )

If I end up winning, I'd probably have to concede anyway, I sure won't have time for another throwdown in the near future! Baby due in *6* weeks!!! AAAUGH!

We STILL don't have a name picked out... icon_confused.gif:

pinklesley1 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:51am
post #59 of 59

To all those looking for the TD rules.. i found them... there you go...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%