Fondant Mat

Decorating By Danacakes65 Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 9:15pm by brogi2baker

Danacakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danacakes65 Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 36

What is everyones favorite mat for rolling out fondant?

35 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 36

vinyl! thumbs_up.gif

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 36

silpat!!!

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 36

don't laugh!! We just did our bathroom and had leftover tub surround, it works great! Big enough to cover any size I need for a cake!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 30 May 2008 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 36

the blue Ateco one at global! FABULOUS

Danacakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danacakes65 Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:50pm
post #6 of 36

Thanks ladies,I have been using the Wilton one and Im not so happy with it....

marie92001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marie92001 Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:59am
post #7 of 36

Dana,
Can you tell me why you are not happy with it? That is what i have and have not used it yet.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:14am
post #8 of 36

I now use vinyl. The Wilton mat is a piece of junk - to thin - wants to constantly curl up. I had to tape it down just to use it. A wasted $10 - a yard of thick vinyl $2.50.

marie92001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marie92001 Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:16am
post #9 of 36

Stephanie,
Just any vinyl? Where would i purchase this?

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:18am
post #10 of 36

I'd like to know too, because I have a pastry mat I got for free that came with a crease in the middle... Much better than what I HAD, but not the best... Something that's not always rolling up on itself would be awesome.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:20am
post #11 of 36

You can purchase vinyl in the fabric dept. at walmart or any fabric store.

SugarMoonCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoonCakeCo Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:21am
post #12 of 36

wilton mat = sucks
plain and simple
...use ANYTHING else that won't stick (and is food safe of course!)

cakeatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatty Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:43am
post #13 of 36

Ateco mat, all the way Baby! Cakes by Sam has them and I just used it for the first time on a fondant covered wedding cake. I've never had it so easy!!!!! It sticks when its supposed to and comes off when you lightly help it off (with a schmear of Crisco on the mat) and rolls up easy as well . . . you know. My only complaint is that when I first got it in, it had kind of a bad plastic smell but after a wash in my nice clean bathtub with some Dawn liquid and air drying, it was fine. Just be sure to use a thin coating of crisco on the mat and it's PERFECTO!!

cakeatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatty Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:44am
post #14 of 36

Ateco mat, all the way Baby! Cakes by Sam has them and I just used it for the first time on a fondant covered wedding cake. I've never had it so easy!!!!! It sticks when its supposed to and comes off when you lightly help it off (with a schmear of Crisco on the mat) and rolls up easy as well . . . you know. My only complaint is that when I first got it in, it had kind of a bad plastic smell but after a wash in my nice clean bathtub with some Dawn liquid and air drying, it was fine. Just be sure to use a thin coating of crisco on the mat and it's PERFECTO!!

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:47am
post #15 of 36

...simple VINYL from the fabric store!!! Awesome!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifjudge.gif

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:55am
post #16 of 36

I bought my vinyl from the fabric store in Walmart. They have different thicknesses to choose from. I got the thicker one and got it to fit my island. Definetly SAVES your counter from scratches when cutting fondant.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 31 May 2008 , 2:00am
post #17 of 36

Vinyl! Works awesome! Also works great when rolling out gumpaste & fondant for smaller jobs. I had different sizes cut for each project. I got mine from Hobby Lobby~

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 31 May 2008 , 2:07am
post #18 of 36

I got the blue Aetco Mat that Sharon uses in her video. I figure if it works for her and look at her cakes then I can't go wrong. I searched for it wanted to find it cheap and found it at www.webstaurantstore.com Shipping is awesome.

As far as the tub surround - aka white board you can get a 4 x 8 piece at home depot and they will cut it to size for 11.97!! No more buying white board from Office Max or Staples for lots of money. I just screwed it into the wall and now I write down what I have coming up for the next two weeks and the one I have on my other wall I make lists of what I have to bake or buy supply wise. You use regular dry erase markers - it's awesome!!!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 31 May 2008 , 2:29am
post #19 of 36

I have two Ateco mats.. the one like Sharon uses AND a lined Ateco mat.. love them both.. I also have the Wilton mat (have to tape it down) .. vinyl... sticks to itself and I have a hard time getting it unstuck... and then I bought the Ateco mats and love them.. won't go back

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 31 May 2008 , 2:30am
post #20 of 36

Nonstick pastry mat from King Arthur flour. It's like a silpat. it sticks to the counter top but nothing sticks to it. Love it, it's great icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:03am
post #21 of 36

What is silpat? Where would I find it & what about cost?

psanders76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psanders76 Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:38am
post #22 of 36

The wilton mat does suck. I bought it and didnt even use it cuz it kept rolling up on me so now its just collecting dust.

YouCaterer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YouCaterer Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:47am
post #23 of 36

I'm bummed - I just bought the Wilton mat and haven't used it yet. icon_cry.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:58am
post #24 of 36

I have the round wilton mat and I've been using it with no problems. I'm going to have to get something bigger, though...the last cake I made was too big for the mat and I just greased the counter and kept on rolling and it worked in a pinch.

I also have two smaller red silicone baking mats I bought at Walmart for $9 for the pair. I use them when I'm rolling out small stuff for flowers, pearls and other details. If I'm using a sharp cutter, I have a couple of stiff plastic mats that I bought at Walmart ($3 for a pack of 3) that I use.

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:40pm
post #25 of 36

I bough a hard plastic placemat at Walmart for $1.00 and then went to the dollar store and bought some placemats that were made of the nonslip mesh, 2/$1.00. I put one of the nonslips underneath the plastic placemat and low and behold I have a small mat for rolling out small pieces of fondant. It works great.

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:59pm
post #26 of 36

My Wilton mat curled too. Since I like the guidelines on the Wilton mat, I now put the Wilton mat under my clear vinyl mat. I can still see the lines, and the vinyl keeps the Wilton mat edges from curling.

SugarMoonCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoonCakeCo Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:59pm
post #27 of 36

a measuring tape always works when you don't have guide lines...cheaper too!

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 31 May 2008 , 2:06pm
post #28 of 36

I have a wilton one and i also have a a quilters mat my cousin got for me. I like it b/c it has everything sqaured

aandecakedesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandecakedesign Posted 31 May 2008 , 2:27pm
post #29 of 36

Now that Ive heard what to use for my fondant mat, I have another question. Does anyone use the wilton rolling pin (long one)? I use the small one with a white cutting board for the small stuff. I havent bought the wilton mat yet and Im not cause of all of the negative things Ive heard from here. Should I waste my money on the rolling pin or should I just go buy pvc pipe like Ive seen others do.

Would like to hear all oppinions.

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:28pm
post #30 of 36

I use pvc pipe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%